ATX Slabs with Broken Bolts

jmeredith

Is anyone else having an issue with bolts breaking around the ring of your ATX slabs? I've broken a total of eight on several different wheels... ATX did send me six new bolts but there is clearly something off... I was able to remove the broken bolts with a little pair of vice grips, but geesh, I feel like I need to carry a bag of these bolts with me!

I've noticed the bolts all have rust on them, I've applied wd-40 to them all now to see it that helps... Boy was that a tedious project!

Any insight?

-Jason

Attachments

• image-3048301013.jpg
    image-3048301013.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 243
  • image-3966054469.jpg
    image-3966054469.jpg
    406.6 KB · Views: 244
I repaired in a very similar method as stated, I'm just curious how many people are seeing broken bolts on their ATX Slabs... When I talked to ATX they acted as though they had never heard of such a thing! It is curious my front driver was the first culprit... As I was checking all the other bolts I noticed a few that broke as I was trying to remove them...

Wonder if another type of bolt coating would work better, or if a stronger bolt should be used?

-J

I've had my slabs for about 3 years and I'm on my second set of tires. I've never had one bolt break. Could you be torquing them down to tight? Some people put anti-sieze on the bolts before installing.

quote from gcm, good to know you get bolts east and carry spares.
Absolutely not hard at all, I pulled one from my wheel and brought it along with me to Home Depot to match it up. It's very common, officialy known as a "cap screw" 3/8"x 1 1/2" in size. Make sure to buy the ones that are stainless steel. Practically any hardware store will carry them :thumb:

I put anti seize on the bolts in my Spyderlocks, same wheel. I broke 2 on those wheels and never had an issue getting broken bolts out.

Wow, I can honestly say that I have NEVER broken a single ATX slab bolt on any of the 3 set I have owned. Unlike other bead lock wheels, when installed right, the ring should sit metal to metal. Are you sure you installed them correctly? Just to make sure, the rubber bead of the tire NEEDS to be seated on the wheel BEFORE you install the ring Also, it is important to NOT over torque them.

I've had my slabs for about 3 years and I'm on my second set of tires. I've never had one bolt break. Could you be torquing them down to tight? Some people put anti-sieze on the bolts before installing.

I'm hand tightening... Is there documented torque data? It seems really hard to get a decent torque when there is rubber in between... Everytime you tighten one down the two next to it loosen :)

Here is an install video that should help you out:

You should be tightening your bolts to only 20-24 ft. lbs. of torque. If you are not installing your rings like in the video above and/or are over tightening your bolts, that is the reason why you are breaking them.

I didn't watch the video Eddie posted, but there is a torque spec, and I do a stabilization torque procedure on them. That is, keep torquing the bolts, going around the wheel multiple times, until you get no mire movement from the bolt when the torque wrench clicks. On mine it sometimes took 3-5 passes around the wheel before the bolts quit moving.

I'm hand tightening... Is there documented torque data? It seems really hard to get a decent torque when there is rubber in between... Everytime you tighten one down the two next to it loosen :)

They do that to a point then eventually they stop loosening. :yup:

I know for fact that the only reason I broke bolts on my Slabs is because I'm the hardest of hardcore Offroaders that has ever wheeled this big blue marble known as earth! But it could have also been that I really did not stay on top of the maintenance of actually taking the time to occasionally recheck the torque of each bolt on my wheels. Since my write up where I replaced broken bolts, I have not had any issues and I do check the bolts after hard trail runs and when I rotate my tires every 3k miles. Too easy :thumb:

I know for fact that the only reason I broke bolts on my Slabs is because I'm the hardest of hardcore Offroaders that has ever wheeled this big blue marble known as earth! But it could have also been that I really did not stay on top of the maintenance of actually taking the time to occasionally recheck the torque of each bolt on my wheels. Since my write up where I replaced broken bolts, I have not had any issues and I do check the bolts after hard trail runs and when I rotate my tires every 3k miles. Too easy :thumb:

Damn it, I guess I better check mine again. Although, I'm not a hardcore offroader like some people. :cheesy:

Also have never had a bolt breaking problem?? I do make sure to check my torque during rotations and torque them to 23 ft-lbs.

I've noticed the bolts all have rust on them, I've applied wd-40 to them all now to see it that helps... Boy was that a tedious project!

Any insight?

-Jason

The rust comes from the thread inserts. When I had my bolts out I used a wire wheel on my drill with rust cleaner and cleaned each bolt. It was a pain in ass to do.

Top Bottom