ATX Slab beadlock bolts have rusted after 3 weeks

kpig

Interesting. With all of the sponsor rigs and people that bought them on this forum alone you should have got a "we'll take a look".

I'm too excited in preparation for Middle America JKX that I'm not sweating the little things.

Just an FYI... The black bolts (I've been told) are just over a grade 9. Most SS are a grade 2.5. The ones the manufacture sent are not SS, they are galvanized and I'm sure appropriate strength.

kpig

Just an FYI... The black bolts (I've been told) are just over a grade 9. Most SS are a grade 2.5. The ones the manufacture sent are not SS, they are galvanized and I'm sure appropriate strength.

Good to know. Thank you. I wasn't sure but read so many posts regarding using stainless instead of plated. I will look into it.

Rccrwlr

I'm too excited in preparation for Middle America JKX that I'm not sweating the little things.

I'm not sure getting the correct bolts for your slabs that you will be beating the hell out of should be on your list of little things. No bolts or bolts that break = very large immovable brick

I'm not sure getting the correct bolts for your slabs that you will be beating the hell out of should be on your list of little things. No bolts or bolts that break = very large immovable brick

You could break a few before there were issues. The force is spread out over so many bolts it's fine.

Rccrwlr

You could break a few before there were issues. The force is spread out over so many bolts it's fine.

Understood but if he replaces with sub par hardware what might happen when torquing? May end up with broken heads. I don't know maybe I'm wrong it just seems that the wheel mfg would and should direct replace them with a better rust proof solution esp since they are new. Slabs are expensive!

Understood but if he replaces with sub par hardware what might happen when torquing? May end up with broken heads. I don't know maybe I'm wrong it just seems that the wheel mfg would and should direct replace them with a better rust proof solution esp since they are new. Slabs are expensive!

I agree...mine are only corroding around the insert where the aluminum sits. No rust for me.

Guascone

Pay attention, assembly stainless steel bolts on aluminium wheels could create galvanic corrosion.
The reason is that the weak material , in terms of corrosion resistance, become the alluminium ring. So the bolts didn't become rusted but the ring could be start to corrode himself.
The second issue is that you should change to torque...stainless steel have a different tensile streight...

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
My Slabs I received a couple of months ago came with zinc type bolts with no paint. The wheels have been wet quite a few times and I see no signs of corrosion.

It's interesting to see that Slabs seem to ship with either black or zinc bolts.

I would agree with what others have stated and call either the vendor or manufacturer. After paying $2k for wheels, I would be pretty torqued if the bolts were rusting after only a few weeks.

dillard09

Pay attention, assembly stainless steel bolts on aluminium wheels could create galvanic corrosion.
The reason is that the weak material , in terms of corrosion resistance, become the alluminium ring. So the bolts didn't become rusted but the ring could be start to corrode himself.
The second issue is that you should change to torque...stainless steel have a different tensile streight...

Very good info. Noted!

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Let me tell you what I know...
My Raceline Monster beadlocks came with zinc coated Grade 8 bolts to secure the rings. They get wet a lot, and no rust in 6+ months.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
For the guys who ordered new bolts....whats the size and pitch on them? May add this to my list of things to get

If you ordered your wheels from us and the bolts are rusting send us a email and we will have ATX send you out the "silver" ones.

David

GCM 2

Breaking ring bolts.....

If you break bolts on any Slab or Chamber Pro/Pro II's, it is because of not doing an occasional torque check. As far as I know, I am the only clown who has ever broken ring bolts, and it was due to not checking their tightness after repeated air downs, offroad trips and pre-running events. My personal thoughts on all this visual bolt imperfection is; unless you are just replacing the stock bolts with stainless, grade 8, grade 9, F9..... because you want them to stay shiny (or at least not get a light coat of rust), there is absolutely nothing wrong with the bolts that come with the wheels. On both Off Road Evolution race cars, EVO1 and EVO TJ, we still run the exact same bolts that came in the wheel box from the manufacturer. Both race cars are running wheel sets that have seen multiple race seasons in the worst possible conditions and treatment and we have had zero bolts break on any of the wheels.

kpig

Gotta love Off Road Evolution. They are contacting the manufacturer to send 4 sets of silver bolts.

Top Bottom