Articulation issue

Was messing around in the garage yesterday evening and wanted to see how much flex the front of my jlur getting. Didn't have a big rock but had some ramps. Put the driver's side on the ramp first and noticed the amount of compression. I took note of it. Then the passenger side and got quite a bit more compression. Now I'm wondering what gives. When I installed my lift 6 to 8 months ago I loosened all the control arms and track bars. Once the jeep was back together I moved the jeep a little to settle the suspension then re torqued the bolts to spec. Guess I'll go that route again unless someone has other suggestions on what the issue could be. Lift is the Dynatrac endurosport so no adjustable control arms. Metal cloak track bars that were adjusted by a shop. Thanks in advance for any suggestions on what could be going on.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ramping one side or the other on a Jeep is NOT a good way to measure the amount of compression that you will ultimately get out on the trail. In a simple test like that, your track bar will always allow for more compression or droop on the side that it's not attached to. If you take your Jeep on the rocks and cross up your suspension (opposing flex), you will see things very differently. This is why companies like Metalcloak use their trailer with those electric tables to market their products.

Example of opposing flex.
20190627095706-1e7734a5.jpg

Oh. I see. Don't most shops use a fork lift or a one wheel ramp to test the compression of each corner? That's what got me thinking I might have a bit of control arm bind since they are factory arms.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Oh. I see. Don't most shops use a fork lift or a one wheel ramp to test the compression of each corner? That's what got me thinking I might have a bit of control arm bind since they are factory arms.
The most a fork lift can do is give you a general idea of how much flex you have. Most of what you see with that is droop. The more you compress a coil, the more it will resist the compression and unless you have an opposing force, leverage from the rear end, you will never see the full amount.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Also, assuming you're still running factory control arms, the clevite bushings WILL offer resistance as they are bonded rubber. This is yet another reason why you need opposing flex to see full compression.

Yes still stock control arms. Thanks for the info Eddie. What you've said will save me a miserable morning of crawling under the jeep to loosen and re torqueing all the bolts. What a pain.

CalSgt

Hooked
Yes still stock control arms. Thanks for the info Eddie. What you've said will save me a miserable morning of crawling under the jeep to loosen and re torqueing all the bolts. What a pain.
Lift has been on for 6 months… not a bad time to crawl under and check torque on every bolt anyway

Lift has been on for 6 months… not a bad time to crawl under and check torque on every bolt anyway
True. Don't know about a few of the bolts. F/r lca bolts should be ok as of now. Added some skid plates to them within the past month and a half. But the uppers haven't been touched in a while

Top Bottom