Arthur the brave

Big things happening at the sanctuary in the near future.
The Kruger National Park is the home to about 80% of South Africa's remaining rhino in the wild and as such is the custodian of these beautiful animals. Poaching is a huge problem as we all know.
In the past an adult rhino who is badly wounded and probably wouldn't survive in the wild was euthanized, simply because Kruger Park is all about vast wild spaces and they absolutely don't have the facilities to care for wounded or orphaned animals. This is the reason that their orphans are sent to us.
We have held many meetings with them and from here on, animals that are wounded but would still have a chance at survival in a facility such as ours, where they could receive individual treatment and care, will be transported to us.
So, we are gearing up to receive these big, fully grown, wild rhino in the future. This obviously requires new stronger bomas, medical facilities to accommodate fully grown rhino etc.

As an example of the need to change handling facilities, in order to handle large wild rhino most of them would have to be darted and tranquilized. All our existing bomas are built in a square shape, which becomes a problem for darting adult black rhino. Black rhinos have the habit of rushing into a corner of the boma after being darted and end up suffocating themselves. To get around this, we have to build circular bomas for any black rhino we might receive.
A few large trucks will have to be purchased, there's no way an adult will fit in a helicopter, ICU facilities will have to be enlarged and re-designed keeping staff safety in mind. This is a big undertaking, but we will get it done.

So exciting and possibly dangerous times for our care givers at the sanctuary going forward, but we are convinced that this is the right way to go for the sake of the rhino as a species. We simply cannot afford to lose one more rhino unnecessarily and with our experience of rescuing orphans over the years, we are with out a doubt the best chance any injured wild adult will get.
Watch this space!!

COMING SOON

A two part documentary will be screened by National Geographic Australia, it is called SAVE THIS RHINO
Please keep an eye out for it.
One of the main characters in the documentary is our very own Arthur the Brave

Here's a link to a very short trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOGGGf8ATSo

Last edited:
COMING SOON

A two part documentary will be screened by National Geographic Australia, it is called SAVE THIS RHINO

I will watch for this. I mentioned this in a different thread but at the Nashville Zoo last Friday I was watching the Rhinos and thinking about this thread and your operation and they had a little tent set up that had a display about the poaching. There were very vivid and graphic pictures that really made me sick and angry at the same time. The other thing at the zoo that honestly made me angry too is all the little signs that tell everyone how bad humans are. Why can’t they tell the story of the great things you do? Ticked me off, I’m glad my daughter can’t read yet I just told her about your place instead. When we left she picked me out a little Rhino in the gift shop that is now on my desk at work
IMG_0176.JPG
Right by Mickey from our last trip!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

COMING SOON

I'd also like to say that I'll watch this but honestly don't know if I can. Like Brick, I get angry and pissed off at these kind of situations. I;d rather see things like this thread where positive things happen in spite of the idiocy involved.

I'd also like to say that I'll watch this but honestly don't know if I can. Like Brick, I get angry and pissed off at these kind of situations. I;d rather see things like this thread where positive things happen in spite of the idiocy involved.

I know what you mean, but there is also a positive message in the documentary about the rangers that go to war with the poachers and obviously about the organizations that are making a difference.

I will watch for this. I mentioned this in a different thread but at the Nashville Zoo last Friday I was watching the Rhinos and thinking about this thread and your operation and they had a little tent set up that had a display about the poaching. There were very vivid and graphic pictures that really made me sick and angry at the same time. The other thing at the zoo that honestly made me angry too is all the little signs that tell everyone how bad humans are. Why can’t they tell the story of the great things you do? Ticked me off, I’m glad my daughter can’t read yet I just told her about your place instead. When we left she picked me out a little Rhino in the gift shop that is now on my desk at work
View attachment 325986

We’ve got season passes to the Nashville zoo. Best $200 I’ve spent. We take my daughter pretty much every weekend.

Sadly we see some terrible sights in our type of work and they are a reality. However to continually display pics of them would unsettle way too many people. I understand that they might shock a few people into paying attention to the plight of rhinos, but personally, I don't think it's the way to go.
Well done to you and Scrambler for taking your young ones to the Nashville zoo, it is a great way to get youngsters interested in the amazing animals we share this planet with.
Why don't you send me an email so I can send one back to you with a nice pic of Arthur or little Ribbon which you can print and give it to your daughter as her very own.

Sadly we see some terrible sights in our type of work and they are a reality. However to continually display pics of them would unsettle way too many people. I understand that they might shock a few people into paying attention to the plight of rhinos, but personally, I don't think it's the way to go.
Well done to you and Scrambler for taking your young ones to the Nashville zoo, it is a great way to get youngsters interested in the amazing animals we share this planet with.
Why don't you send me an email so I can send one back to you with a nice pic of Arthur or little Ribbon which you can print and give it to your daughter as her very own.

Thank you she will love that, I will pm you now. Thank you again for all you do

It was a great zoo! We received 50% off admission with our zoo passes from Ft Wayne, score [emoji106]

Not to derail the thread, but did you guys get a chance to see the new tiger exhibit? I’m not sure how accurate this is, but we were talking to an employee who said that they got two, but they are solitary creatures and they have to let them out separately. Also, according to this employee, there are only 200 left in the world. Pretty cool to think about, if this information was accurate.

Scrambler, your info is 100% correct. This is another very sad situation. The plight of the tigers of this world were also brought about by very mistaken old world beliefs in the far east that ground tiger bones does all kinds of magical things for the human body and tigers have been slaughtered because of this, but it gets worse. Because tigers are in such dire straights, suddenly the belief has been revised that lion bones will perform the same miracles.
So another catastrophe is on the cards with ignorant people turning to slaughter our African lion for the same purpose. We have 2 lion at the sanctuary who were shot and wounded. The male is Tuscan and the female is Figo. A beautiful pair of cats they are and perfectly healthy specimens after the care they received.
I have posted a pic of Tuscan previously in post # 20

Last edited:
Just for a bit of humour while we're talking about some of the other animals at the sanctuary, how's this for a pair of office companions?
image.jpg
They are two rescued hippo Emma (the large one) and Molly.
You'd think they would at least make some coffee once in a while!
Don't be fooled by thinking that hippos are docile animals. It is a point often debated over here that more people are killed by hippo in the wild than any other animal. A close 2nd and 3rd are buffalo and crocodiles.
Who would think that those tubs of lard can run at speeds of 35kilometres/hour.

Last edited:
Just for a bit of humour while we're talking about some of the other animals at the sanctuary, how's this for a pair of office companions?
View attachment 326081
They are two rescued hippo Emma (the large one) and Molly.
You'd think they would at least make some coffee once in a while!

I think the office needs the xtra large size of Febreeze...

:cheesy::cheesy: Hey they spend 90% of their time submerged in water, so are probably cleaner than you and I. :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom