Anyone have any good/bad info on mid-80’s CJ’s

I have a chance to pick up an 84 CJ-7 for fairly cheap money. Looks in good
shape for its age. Just looking doe input on what to look out for, despite the obvious. Any known issues to be aware of or common problems (besides rust, everywhere lol) to look for?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have a chance to pick up an 84 CJ-7 for fairly cheap money. Looks in good
shape for its age. Just looking doe input on what to look out for, despite the obvious. Any known issues to be aware of or common problems (besides rust, everywhere lol) to look for?

Thanks!
Not sure what you would consider fairly cheap but 84 is a good year. Common problems? Look for cracks or breaks in the steering box brackets, body mounts, spring hangers and things like that. Rusted out floor boards is another and a lot of times, that's caused by a heater core that needs to be replaced. Nothing that would stop me from buying but something you should be aware of. The biggest concern I would have is emissions. I'm not sure what the rules are like for something this old but being that you're in Washoe County, that might be an issue and one that's tough to deal with if you have to keep what's under the hood stock.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Second Eddie’s ideas. Also check the frame rails for rot, they are notorious especially around the spring hangers. Rust is the biggest enemy to CJs. Everything can be pretty easily worked on or replaced. I can’t help much on the emissions end. We are lucky enough not to deal with that here in Michigan.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Guy only wants $3500 and it’s a runner. Says it was going to be a project and IMG_1976.jpg he lost interest. And it’s a manual! After an auto JK for 10 years, I really miss grabbing gears. IMG_1970.jpg IMG_1974.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jdofmemi

The biggest issue I know of is that most of them have a hole in the seat, where the Jeep gremlins reach through and suck all the money out of your wallet🤣🤣

Top Bottom