Anybody else into RC rock crawling ?

I swapped out the axial tranny for an Rc4wd tranny to get the body lower on the frame. I will end up doing the same for the 2door. Gonna put scale Baja claws on there too.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1390060181.033898.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1390060191.585829.jpg

Ldogg, did you start with the kit or the RTR? It looks like the kit version of the SCX10 comes with some upgraded parts to start. But missing some essential parts to make it go. Sorry for the nube questions...
Thanks,
Paul

Ldogg, did you start with the kit or the RTR? It looks like the kit version of the SCX10 comes with some upgraded parts to start. But missing some essential parts to make it go. Sorry for the nube questions...
Thanks,
Paul

I have used both. The red JKU I bought the frame and axles and then source all the other parts. Is a completely custom build. The 2door is sitting on the dingo kit. I also have a rtr JKU. The black wraith was the rtr and I have upgraded it over time. The kits have nicer links and shocks but that's usually it. You can buy those links separate if you want them. They will not include the electronics but you may not care if you use your own radio and upgrade the steering servo. Usually those are things you swap out anyway, but for the cost and to run as soon as you get it it may be a better option. I like the kits since you build it from the ground up and really learn how things work. When you look for lipo batteries go to www.hobbyking.com. They have really really cheap batteries.

I hand built my whole frame, skid, links. I used delrin plastic. Easy to work with and strong. This was about 5 years ago.

So Rotten, did you cut it all on a Bridgeport? Delren is easy to work with but for the precision you have there that's a few hours on a table. Sadly I don't have access to a shop anymore and I think that is a little more than I would want to tackle for my first RC. Beautiful work though!
Thanks Ldogg I think I'll start with the RTR and spend on upgrades the next day... Already found a Comanche body that fits the SCX10... That was my first love my 92 Eliminator.

So Rotten, did you cut it all on a Bridgeport? Delren is easy to work with but for the precision you have there that's a few hours on a table. Sadly I don't have access to a shop anymore and I think that is a little more than I would want to tackle for my first RC. Beautiful work though!
Thanks Ldogg I think I'll start with the RTR and spend on upgrades the next day... Already found a Comanche body that fits the SCX10... That was my first love my 92 Eliminator.

Did it all with hand tools. Cut it with a jigsaw and smoothed it out with a dremal!! Used a handheld drill for all the holes.
Heres a link to the build thread.
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/2-2-scale-rigs/217946-my-1st-scratch-built-jk-scaler.html

Here's my stash!

I recently built 2 Axial kits. Rubicon and a Recon G6
20140114_202413_zps767a3efc.jpg
20140113_205221_zps465470ee.jpg
20140112_152926_zps703fdcf4.jpg
20140112_152246_zps1c433edb.jpg
20131231_111452_zps94c1833d.jpg
20140104_145655_zpsa2c1d738.jpg

20131224_112338.jpg

20140103_123717.jpg

Im building my rig to match my Axial JK. Having the rear PS corners and some bushwackers put on while Im working here in Argentina.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:
You have quite a stash my friend. ... Let me know what you don't want I'll take it off your hands:D

Sent from my SCH-I605 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Im building my rig to match my Axial JK. Having the rear PS corners and some bushwackers put on while Im working here in Argentina.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using WAYALIFE mobile app

So... Local shop or internet? I have been looking around and none of the small shops I have been to cary Axial rigs. There are a couple more I plan to check out but do you guys bother to search local or just hit the web?
Thanks,
Paul

So... Local shop or internet? I have been looking around and none of the small shops I have been to cary Axial rigs. There are a couple more I plan to check out but do you guys bother to search local or just hit the web?
Thanks,
Paul

RPP hobby. Cory is a great guy to deal with.

Rpp hands down is the best place to buy. Their customer service is awesome. I have bought tons of stuff from them. Corey is a great guy and a fellow jeeper.

Top Bottom