Any advice on new Jeep Gladiator for a noob?

JTDriver

So I finally decided to get a Jeep a couple of weeks ago. I went with a Sport S model because I didn't want to spend the extra money on a Mojave or Rubicon (although after all the modifications, it'll probably be more). But even if it ends up costing more, I get to customize my truck.

My intention is for basic overlanding (camping and light off road) and exploring the nearby deserts and canyons of where I live (So Cal). It will be my daily driver and quite frankly, it will be on the pavement a lot. I have no intention of rock crawling or any heavy off roading. So doing some research, I'm considering:

33" or 35" tires. My biggest regret right now is not getting the max tow package because I wouldn't have to think about re-gearing with 4.10s. But I kept thinking, I'll end up with 35" tires and ultimately I'd want to have 4.56 or 4.88 so why pay extra for max tow?

2" to 2.5" lift, only if I decide to go with 35 inch tires. Obviously the considerable increase in budget for getting a lift and bigger tires is on my mind.

Right now, I am just focusing on cosmetic and cheaper stuff like grab handles, bed liner, seat covers, rock rails...etc. The big stuff I'm waiting on until I have a better understanding on what I really want. My biggest decision is which tire size? In truth, 33" tires would be more than adequate for me. But 35" tires just look better and the vain part of me is saying go for it.

So any advice from those who have been there and done that?

JimLee

Hooked
So I finally decided to get a Jeep a couple of weeks ago. I went with a Sport S model because I didn't want to spend the extra money on a Mojave or Rubicon (although after all the modifications, it'll probably be more). But even if it ends up costing more, I get to customize my truck.

My intention is for basic overlanding (camping and light off road) and exploring the nearby deserts and canyons of where I live (So Cal). It will be my daily driver and quite frankly, it will be on the pavement a lot. I have no intention of rock crawling or any heavy off roading. So doing some research, I'm considering:

33" or 35" tires. My biggest regret right now is not getting the max tow package because I wouldn't have to think about re-gearing with 4.10s. But I kept thinking, I'll end up with 35" tires and ultimately I'd want to have 4.56 or 4.88 so why pay extra for max tow?

2" to 2.5" lift, only if I decide to go with 35 inch tires. Obviously the considerable increase in budget for getting a lift and bigger tires is on my mind.

Right now, I am just focusing on cosmetic and cheaper stuff like grab handles, bed liner, seat covers, rock rails...etc. The big stuff I'm waiting on until I have a better understanding on what I really want. My biggest decision is which tire size? In truth, 33" tires would be more than adequate for me. But 35" tires just look better and the vain part of me is saying go for it.

So any advice from those who have been there and done that?
JLU here, not the same completely but not super far off. I ran 35's on factory sport axles and gears for 3 years without any issues, that's on the old 3.6 ICE without the BSG. I still averaged 18.5 MPG around town and about 21 on the highway. I ran everything you are talking about and definitely tougher. I was on a 2.5" Rock Krawler lift. You won't see 8th gear as often, but if you can stomach the mileage loss what you are trying to achieve is easy and will work.

Upvote 0

JTDriver

JLU here, not the same completely but not super far off. I ran 35's on factory sport axles and gears for 3 years without any issues, that's on the old 3.6 ICE without the BSG. I still averaged 18.5 MPG around town and about 21 on the highway. I ran everything you are talking about and definitely tougher. I was on a 2.5" Rock Krawler lift. You won't see 8th gear as often, but if you can stomach the mileage loss what you are trying to achieve is easy and will work.
Thanks for the feedback. I think I won't miss the power too much but I do have a pretty significant hill that I have to overcome during my commute every day. Just out of curiosity, did you re-gear after three years?

35s or you'll regret it. Also, after having 35s just a short time, you will want 37s.

Haha, the rabbit hole is indeed very big and deep. I probably will go 35s but I just have to convince myself to eat the cost of going bigger. I prefer the look of 35s. The only reason I'd go larger is if I decide to go rock crawling which is highly unlikely but never say never.

Upvote 0

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks for the feedback. I think I won't miss the power too much but I do have a pretty significant hill that I have to overcome during my commute every day. Just out of curiosity, did you re-gear after three years?

Haha, the rabbit hole is indeed very big and deep. I probably will go 35s but I just have to convince myself to eat the cost of going bigger. I prefer the look of 35s. The only reason I'd go larger is if I decide to go rock crawling which is highly unlikely but never say never.
Are 35s that much more than 33s, really? Large tire prices suck ass right now anyways.

Upvote 0

GP NOIR

Hooked
Wheel before modifying. Fuel before accessories. If you want to know what you should to your Jeep, go drive it on and off road and it will become obvious. I see you're from Ventura County. Spend a couple of weekends at Hungry Valley in the training area. The frame twister in particular will teach you how to pick lines in your new Gladiator. Knowing how to pick your line is a good skill to have. Wearing out the tires you have now will give you invaluable experience.

Get recovery gear. Get a good portable compressor and whatever gear needed to air down your tires before hitting the trails. Air the pressure in your tires to between 18 & 22 PSI to start and see how it feels. You can experiment with different pressures to see what works best for you.

I was gonna suggest skipping over the 33s and going straight to 35s (or maybe 37s) when you do go with larger tires, but that's based on your Jeep having 4.10 gears. What gears does your Jeep have?

Upvote 0

Ddays

Hooked
You've already got the 35's in your head- go for those or you'll regret it every day you walk out to it. And as well noted above - good quality safety/recovery equipment is a must.

Upvote 0

JimLee

Hooked
Negative, I went full retard and swapped to Dynatrac one tons with 5.13 gears sitting on 37s, but that was the plan from before I bought the Jeep.

Upvote 0

JTDriver

Wheel before modifying. Fuel before accessories. If you want to know what you should to your Jeep, go drive it on and off road and it will become obvious. I see you're from Ventura County. Spend a couple of weekends at Hungry Valley in the training area. The frame twister in particular will teach you how to pick lines in your new Gladiator. Knowing how to pick your line is a good skill to have. Wearing out the tires you have now will give you invaluable experience.

Get recovery gear. Get a good portable compressor and whatever gear needed to air down your tires before hitting the trails. Air the pressure in your tires to between 18 & 22 PSI to start and see how it feels. You can experiment with different pressures to see what works best for you.

I was gonna suggest skipping over the 33s and going straight to 35s (or maybe 37s) when you do go with larger tires, but that's based on your Jeep having 4.10 gears. What gears does your Jeep have?
I didn’t see Hungry Valley with my search a few weeks back because I didn’t expand my map. Thanks for the tip.

Yes, recovery kit and air compressor is on my to do list. I’m hoping there’s some good Father’s Day sales. I’ll search this site for what to avoid and what others use.

I’m on stock Gladiator gears. 3.73. As I mentioned earlier. My only regret is not going 4.10 with max tow.

Upvote 0

JTDriver

You've already got the 35's in your head- go for those or you'll regret it every day you walk out to it. And as well noted above - good quality safety/recovery equipment is a must.
That seems to be the case.

Negative, I went full retard and swapped to Dynatrac one tons with 5.13 gears sitting on 37s, but that was the plan from before I bought the Jeep.
Well, what’s the saying? Go big or go home. 😀

Upvote 0

ScoobyCarolanNC

Max Traxx, soft shackles and a bubba rope is enough to get you out of most basic situations. Get a cheap tool bag and some adjustable wrenches, screwdrivers, etc. and just keep them under your seat. I wheeled on 33s for a while so like my wife says size isn't everything. The one mistake I (and a lot of noobs) make was DON'T WHEEL ALONE! I had to learn that lesson twice before it stuck. I fuckin paid the price both times.

Upvote 0
Max Traxx, soft shackles and a bubba rope is enough to get you out of most basic situations. Get a cheap tool bag and some adjustable wrenches, screwdrivers, etc. and just keep them under your seat. I wheeled on 33s for a while so like my wife says size isn't everything. The one mistake I (and a lot of noobs) make was DON'T WHEEL ALONE! I had to learn that lesson twice before it stuck. I fuckin paid the price both times.

Attachments

• PXL_20230622_180228759.jpg
    PXL_20230622_180228759.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 3
Upvote 0

JTDriver

Have you figured it out yet? 😬
LOL.

I’ve been crazy busy with the family. Things are going pretty slow. Just now I managed to get some Mopar rock rails.

I’m taking everyone’s advice and building a recovery kit and will go to the nearby off road park to test my skills. I’m planning on taking at least one of my kids hoping they get interested in jeeps and off roading.

Upvote 0
Top Bottom