Anti Rock (Torsion) Sway Bar Questions

kevman65

Hooked
Okay, I keep seeing questions about going to various anti rock (mechanical) sway bars.

I have always thought that TOO much restriction on flex was nearly as bad as not enough.

Yet people seem to be jumping all over these glorified torsion bars and ditching the factory sway bar set up.

If the factory sway bar is giving a touch too much, then isn't a thicker/heavier sway bar a better option, like street course cars use?

I just can't understand how a mechanical bar could be better either on or off road.

Am I just too dense and hate anything based on torsion bars?

It depends on your rig's setup I suppose but I've pondered this myself. I could be saying absolute nonsense but this is what I've heard from people I've ran trails with that run them:

They allow for more flex than stock swaybars connected.

But not as much flex as the stock sway bar disconnected.

So I said hmm. Pointless. I guess it allows for more (but not the maximum) flex without disconnecting. Probably more of a baja blasting type setup I feel like, so there is more wheel travel but better stability at higher speeds when bombing in the desert.

If it were me, I'd pass this indefinitely and opt for something like you said, just a reinforced swaybar with conventional links.

Upvote 0

onlyone

I have front and rears. Best riding Jeep I’ve ever had. Do they limit flex? Probably but not to the extent that matters in most situations. Definitely more stable on side hills vs disconnected front. It does not handle anywhere near as well on the road as it did stock. I gave it up for ride quality. You will not enjoy the body sway at first.

After purchasing, for most, they may not be worth the money and only you can decide. Off road they are great. No screwing around with disconnects. Overall, I really like them but if I had a Rubi, I wouldn’t have bought them. I will say I agree with Currie that they are best run together.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, I keep seeing questions about going to various anti rock (mechanical) sway bars.

I have always thought that TOO much restriction on flex was nearly as bad as not enough.

Yet people seem to be jumping all over these glorified torsion bars and ditching the factory sway bar set up.

If the factory sway bar is giving a touch too much, then isn't a thicker/heavier sway bar a better option, like street course cars use?

I just can't understand how a mechanical bar could be better either on or off road.

Am I just too dense and hate anything based on torsion bars?
Having personally tested a whole host of aftermarket options including antirocks and swaylocs or what have you, this is what I can say. Antirock are nice is all you do is spend time bombing across the desert but for pavement use, especially on fast windy mountain roads or where maneuvering quick is needed, it's a bit soft for my taste. On the rocks, it does limit flex and enough to be measurable. For the cost and for me personally, a stock rubicon e-disco and factory rear sway bars are best.

Upvote 0

kevman65

Hooked
Thank you for the responses.

I'm not considering this mod, as should be obvious by my stated opinions.

So there is a place for it, but a majority of Jeep owners really have no need for it.

So the popularity may have something to do with other people running them and then "pushing" on the unwashed masses.

Glad I only watch wrenching videos done by some crazy guy in Nevada, I don't get quite as confused that way.

Upvote 0

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you for the responses.

I'm not considering this mod, as should be obvious by my stated opinions.

So there is a place for it, but a majority of Jeep owners really have no need for it.

So the popularity may have something to do with other people running them and then "pushing" on the unwashed masses.

Glad I only watch wrenching videos done by some crazy guy in Nevada, I don't get quite as confused that way.
LOL - yeah, I think there's a place for it. As mentioned above, if you spend most of your time bombing across the desert, something like an Antirock will be soft enough to soften up the side to side jarring while still providing a good amount of stability and articulation as needed to cross deep ruts and traverse bigger rocks. I do a lot of this kind of off-roading and when I'm doing it, I do wish I had one. Even with an e-disco, you can only disconnect in 4WD and only at lower speeds. And, when disconnected, it can feel too loose especially in turns.

As far as popularity goes, they've been around well before the social media whores were around and were popular even back then. I think the main appeal was that they cost a lot and look fancy and therefore, must be better. That and or people were just too lazy to disconnect and wanted something that would be some kind of jack of all trades. Whatever the case, I think fanboys swear by them mainly because admitting they aren't perfect would be like admitting they made a wrong decision and no real man would never ever make a wrong decision.

And, before the haters come on to say I'm dissing the antirock because "Currie doesn't sponsor me" or some stupidness like that, I would like to note for the record that I LOVE Currie products. I love their Johnny Joints, steering components, their axles and I know Casey Currie, his dad and John Currie personally.

Upvote 0

Jk10A

I put them on my 2 door sport, mostly because I'm lazy and hate disconnecting links in the dirt. Body roll was noticeable at first, but I quickly got used to it. Never feels dangerous or unstable, and I regularly tow and drive through mountain roads. I'm wondering if the shorter wheelbase has less leverage vs a 4 door so it feels more stable?

Upvote 0
Top Bottom