Another lift question

Ohus

Hey all. Have a 21 JLU Willys. Getting ready to order a lift and wheels and tires. I’ve decided to go with the rancho 2”-3.5” lift kit. Will this be a complete enough kit for me or should I buy the geometry correction parts right away? As of now I don’t off-road at all but not ruling it out for the future if time and job permit.

This is the lift I’m looking to buy. Any recommendations for a place to buy it from is also appreciated.

Also follow up question. Anyone can tell me what this part is and best way to reconnect it? Looks like it was just adhesive on.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3684.jpeg
    IMG_3684.jpeg
    83.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3685.jpeg
    IMG_3685.jpeg
    77 KB · Views: 22

kevman65

Hooked
This guy @Rancho can answer your questions. When the notification pops up when he signs in he'll probably stop by.

Eddie put their lift on the 392, so there's that for a plus.

As to the geometry correction brackets. if as you say you're going to do almost exclusively on road, they will make the handling better.
If you go off road, those brackets are going to be hanging down lower and could become rock catchers and get damaged.
So you have to weigh the pluses and minuses and make your decision.

Upvote 0
Hey all. Have a 21 JLU Willys. Getting ready to order a lift and wheels and tires. I’ve decided to go with the rancho 2”-3.5” lift kit. Will this be a complete enough kit for me or should I buy the geometry correction parts right away? As of now I don’t off-road at all but not ruling it out for the future if time and job permit.

This is the lift I’m looking to buy. Any recommendations for a place to buy it from is also appreciated.

Also follow up question. Anyone can tell me what this part is and best way to reconnect it? Looks like it was just adhesive on.

Thanks!
They say that this is a "premium lift" but I don't see how it could be without geometry correction brackets. Maybe they have a somewhat more premium lift which also provides the brackets?

The Mopar 2" lift kit does provide the geometry correction brackets, but it costs a bit more.

Upvote 0
They say that this is a "premium lift" but I don't see how it could be without geometry correction brackets. Maybe they have a somewhat more premium lift which also provides the brackets?

The Mopar 2" lift kit does provide the geometry correction brackets, but it costs a bit more.
It comes with a full set of adjustable control arms, no need for geometry correcting brackets.

Edit: My bad, was thinking of Eddie’s lift.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ohus

Well I was debating adjustable lca and front trackbar with rear trackbar brackets vs just using the mopar lift lca. Or just installing and see how it does. I haven’t installed a lift before so didn’t want to redo a bunch of work if I should just replace to begin with

Upvote 0

JimLee

Hooked
Wait what? If you have adjustable control arms you don’t need geometry correction brackets. One or the other.
Simply not true. While some people use geometry brackets to help correct caster that is not their true purpose. They are designed to keep the control arms as parallel with the ground as possible, which makes for a better ride. Suspensions with high control arm angles have to overcome the axles tendency to want to travel down before it travels up. Take a wheel on a stick (or a paint roller), and hold the handle at a high angle relative to the roller on the wall and try to move the roller up while pushing into the wall and not lifting the handle. Then try it with the handle at 90° to the wall. It's simple.... geometry.

Upvote 0

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Simply not true. While some people use geometry brackets to help correct caster that is not their true purpose. They are designed to keep the control arms as parallel with the ground as possible, which makes for a better ride. Suspensions with high control arm angles have to overcome the axles tendency to want to travel down before it travels up. Take a wheel on a stick (or a paint roller), and hold the handle at a high angle relative to the roller on the wall and try to move the roller up while pushing into the wall and not lifting the handle. Then try it with the handle at 90° to the wall. It's simple.... geometry.
So read what I wrote. If you needed geometry correction brackets and control arms companies would sell them together as a kit because they could make more money. They don’t. Just because that’s what you chose to buy doesn’t make it correct.

You don’t NEED brackets and control arms. Yes long arms help with angles because of the length but you are reading too much internet if you think you need brackets and control arms for 2.5-3” of lift.

Upvote 0

Ddays

Hooked
Well I was debating adjustable lca and front trackbar with rear trackbar brackets vs just using the mopar lift lca. Or just installing and see how it does. I haven’t installed a lift before so didn’t want to redo a bunch of work if I should just replace to begin with.

If you end up with the full 3-1/2" of lift track bar relocation brackets may help if you end up with flighty steering on the highway

Upvote 0
So read what I wrote. If you needed geometry correction brackets and control arms companies would sell them together as a kit because they could make more money. They don’t. Just because that’s what you chose to buy doesn’t make it correct.

You don’t NEED brackets and control arms. Yes long arms help with angles because of the length but you are reading too much internet if you think you need brackets and control arms for 2.5-3” of lift.
My wife continuously tells me that "need" and "want" are two different things. So the less expensive "premium" kit leaves some things out which may be found in a more premium kit. This makes the kit more affordable.

Upvote 0
I’ve decided to go with the rancho 2”-3.5” lift kit. Will this be a complete enough kit for me

Rancho makes great stuff. Try your kit out for a bit and see if you like it as-is.

I would add adjustable control arms before I added geo brackets, but that is exclusively because I don’t want to drag on rocks…and geo brackets look weird.

Upvote 0

JimLee

Hooked

I never said you need geometry correction brackets for a 2.5-3" lift. What I said is the idea that brackets and adjustable arms is an either or thing is not a true statement. Long arms and geometry brackets accomplish the exact same thing through different methods, they are both ways of reducing control arm angles. It's not stuff I read on the internet, I've experienced the difference. Just because you refuse to understand the basics of suspension geometry, doesn't make it correct.

Upvote 0

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I never said you need geometry correction brackets for a 2.5-3" lift. What I said is the idea that brackets and adjustable arms is an either or thing is not a true statement. Long arms and geometry brackets accomplish the exact same thing through different methods, they are both ways of reducing control arm angles. It's not stuff I read on the internet, I've experienced the difference. Just because you refuse to understand the basics of suspension geometry, doesn't make it correct.
No I understand perfectly. YOU do not. Read the thread. He is asking about 2.5-3” of lift. I couldn’t give two fucks if you run control arms and brackets on 6” of lift and neither does the OP. He is asking about a 2.5-3” lift. And long arms and brackets do NOT accomplish the same thing. They get similar angles but they don’t accomplish the same thing. Big difference.

Upvote 0

JimLee

Hooked
My wife continuously tells me that "need" and "want" are two different things. So the less expensive "premium" kit leaves some things out which may be found in a more premium kit. This makes the kit more affordable.
I don't really think you need to start correcting the geometry of arms until you start going pretty high with a lift and being that the bread and butter of most lift manufacturers is in the 2.5-3.5 inch range that's why they don't include geometry correction brackets. If you are going higher why even try when they've got people all over the internet that'll tell others you need a 3k long arms kit for big lifts, they don't even need to try and sell the shit.

Upvote 0

JimLee

Hooked
No I understand perfectly. YOU do not. Read the thread. He is asking about 2.5-3” of lift. I couldn’t give two fucks if you run control arms and brackets on 6” of lift and neither does the OP. He is asking about a 2.5-3” lift. And long arms and brackets do NOT accomplish the same thing. They get similar angles but they don’t accomplish the same thing. Big difference.
Whatever dude, you make statements as absolutes and then retreat to context, not sure why I'm surprised.

Upvote 0
Top Bottom