American Iron Off-road Ball Joint Deletes

GP NOIR

Hooked
Found a set of Synergy ball joints for $200. Had to watch my budget since I had to replace the alternator and install a set of five tires in SWAMBO’s Grand Cherokee over the last three days.

Re: Tires. Discount Tire customer service rocks!

Colorado4x4

If they’re the original ball joints, they lasted about 136,000 miles. The Jeep had 122,000 on it when I got it in February.

I see that the American Iron set has a two year warranty, but nothing about needing to be rebuilt every two years.

I’m going to look into the Dynatrac & Synergy sets. Thanks for the tip.
136,000 miles on the original ball joints is pretty good. Ball joints are service items. I would be thrilled with that performance

GP NOIR

Hooked
136,000 miles on the original ball joints is pretty good. Ball joints are service items. I would be thrilled with that performance
I don’t know for certain they’re the original ball joints. As I said, I bought my Jeep used with 122,000 miles on it. The current ball joints do have plenty of Canadian Patina.

ScoobyCarolanNC

...Truth of the matter is, you still need to do most of the work that's needed to replace a set of ball joints and then the rebuilding part takes even more time and effort...
Thats what I always figured. By the time you're in there to rebuild them just do a whole new set.

GP NOIR

Hooked
I got one side replaced (worn side). Looks like the ball joints were replaced at least once before. I watched a few YouTube “How To’s”. It looks like a straight forward job.

(I also watched videos how to replace the worn upper control arm of the wife’s Grand Cherokee. See comments below.)

The Cake Is A Lie. There’s more involved than what they show in the videos.

At least I’ll know what to expect when I tackle the other side, God willing and the crick don’t rise.

Brute

Hooked
I would love to say and believe he has once and for all solved the off roaders question to ball joints that last forever and are the “end all be all”. I’d buy a set right now. Do they work and hold your knuckle to the axle? Sure.

At the end of the day it’s a balljoint that takes a lot of stress and, regardless of what you are running, will wear out and need service/replacement especially when upgrading to much heavier wheels/tires and receiving abuse on the trail.

I do follow his page since, as a company, I’m always curious to new products and get asked about these. My answer is usually “They are a new product and would like to see more real world and long term use before forming an opinion”.

As I have followed the page, there have been several failures or “issues” which have usually resulted in a huge fanboy response saying how great they are. Reminds me of some other products. Some of the issues were the actual shaft braking. Others were on road drivability issues or problems during install. But of course they received “good customer service”.

Does every product have its issues? Absolutely! But I’m far from sold as these being the greatest thing since sliced bread. View attachment 377831
How do you feel about naan bread?

Jeeper99

I put Dynatrac BJs (and Reid Racing knuckles) in my JLUR about a month or two ago. Time will tell if they are worth the money.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I put Dynatrac BJs in my JLUR about a month or two ago. Time will tell if they are worth the money.
I've run several sets and can tell you they are good ball joints. I just would never recommend them on the idea of them being, 'rebuildable'. 🤪

TrailHunter

Hooked
I've run several sets and can tell you they are good ball joints. I just would never recommend them on the idea of them being, 'rebuildable'. 🤪
How many miles do you seem to get out of yours? (I understand you’re a mall crawler so I’ll factor that in)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
How many miles do you seem to get out of yours? (I understand you’re a mall crawler so I’ll factor that in)
LOL - hard to say. I've typically run mine to the point of being VERY worn out before replacing them. I haven't done this on purpose, it's just that I haven't always had the time to get to them and when you're running a ram assist, you don't get the kind of DW that you would otherwise get with worn out ball joints. That said, maybe 45k? I'm sure it'd be more if I ran wheels with more back spacing.

DaBank

dynatrac are not so rebuildable friendly and depending on how you wheel, how large a tire you are running and wheel backspace, they don't last any longer than a HD balljoint

I've got an extra set of dynatrac ball joints and a rebuild kit but replaced them with spicer HD since I had everything taken apart and didn't want to wait the time it takes for the dynatrac glue dry time.

This is on my 2010 JKU
How do you like the HD balljoints? Any issues? What about Teraflex balljoints?

Top Bottom