After market diff covers

Aloy

Hello everyone I’m planning on re gearing my gladiator. I’m running 37 inch tires, and after Eddy recommend it me to re gear to 5.13 I’m taking his advice and that’s the gear I’m going to put. Now I heard that after 40k plus miles a lot of times people are overheating their gears ⚙️ and to solve that problem you also need after market diff covers to hold more space for oil so that way it won’t over heat and most of shops out there aren’t advising their customers on that.

I've got 60k miles, stock gears, stock diff covers, bashed them multiple times, and the only thing I've overheated was my sack in the desert last trip out. That doesn't happen.

Aftermarket diff covers on stock axles are pointless and kinda gay in my opinion. Spend money where you need it, not where it will make your Jeep look more "built."

Spazbyt

Hooked
This common miss conception stems from the "Bro Dozers". Somehow in their never ending quest for "bulletproof" they came up with big flat differential covers that hold "Extree erl cause extree erl are mo better". Gale Banks from Banks Power did some tests a few years back and the extra capacity diff covers actually heated the oil up more.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'd have to agree with the others have said. Not sure where you heard that nonsense but that's what it is, nonsense. Your factory covers will be fine. Aftermarket covers do look cool though and they are cheap. No harm in installing a set but there is no need for them.

WJCO

Meme King
Now I heard that after 40k plus miles a lot of times people are overheating their gears ⚙️ and to solve that problem you also need after market diff covers to hold more space for oil so that way it won’t over heat and most of shops out there aren’t advising their customers on that.
Wherever you heard that, don't ever go back there. That is 100% certified bullshit.

Aloy

I'd have to agree with the others have said. Not sure where you heard that nonsense but that's what it is, nonsense. Your factory covers will be fine. Aftermarket covers do look cool though and they are cheap. No harm in installing a set but there is no need for them.
Thanks Eddy! I’m trying to learn as much as I can because I don’t want any surprises alone the way. So what do you think ? That as long as the installation and the break in are done correctly that I won’t run into any problems like that?

Aloy

Lol where on earth did you hear that? That’s one of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard of. Overheating their gears? 🤣
I’m new to this so every bit of info I’m all ears. I seen a couple of vids where the pinion broke for whatever reason and then I saw this vid from Ozark Overland Adventures explaining what he did to solve it.
I would like to know why you thinkthat’s not the case

Aloy

I've got 60k miles, stock gears, stock diff covers, bashed them multiple times, and the only thing I've overheated was my sack in the desert last trip out. That doesn't happen.

Aftermarket diff covers on stock axles are pointless and kinda gay in my opinion. Spend money where you need it, not where it will make your Jeep look more "built."
Ok thanks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Eddy! I’m trying to learn as much as I can because I don’t want any surprises alone the way. So what do you think ? That as long as the installation and the break in are done correctly that I won’t run into any problems like that?
Correct

Aloy

This common miss conception stems from the "Bro Dozers". Somehow in their never ending quest for "bulletproof" they came up with big flat differential covers that hold "Extree erl cause extree erl are mo better". Gale Banks from Banks Power did some tests a few years back and the extra capacity diff covers actually heated the oil up more.
Good to know thanks

WJCO

Meme King
I would like to know why you think that’s not the case
I've been in the automotive field for over twenty years (most of that as a mechanic) and have seen plenty of re-geared differentials with factory covers with high mileage on them and no issues with fluid cooling. Even lack of maintenance intervals will likely score/pit a bearing roller rather than overheat the bearings or gears. Gears that I've seen overheated were from low fluid or no fluid due to a leak. Or from towing shit that the vehicle shouldn't be towing.

Aloy

I've been in the automotive field for over twenty years (most of that as a mechanic) and have seen plenty of re-geared differentials with factory covers with high mileage on them and no issues with fluid cooling. Even lack of maintenance intervals will likely score/pit a bearing roller rather than overheat the bearings or gears. Gears that I've seen overheated were from low fluid or no fluid due to a leak. Or from towing shit that the vehicle shouldn't be towing.
I appreciate it 🙏🏻

Top Bottom