AEV Tire Carrier Squeak

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Anyone have an issue with your AEV carrier squeaking? It's coming from where the horizontal tube meets the piece of UHMW, or whatever material it is. My band-aid so far has just been to put a light coat of grease on the mating surfaces. Just curious if anyone has a permanent fix.

IMG_0762.jpg

IMG_0763.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
Anyone have an issue with your AEV carrier squeaking? It's coming from where the horizontal tube meets the piece of UHMW, or whatever material it is. My band-aid so far has just been to put a light coat of grease on the mating surfaces. Just curious if anyone has a permanent fix.

View attachment 254638

View attachment 254639

mine squeaked, I loosened the bolts that hold that plastic in place and then opened and closed the carrier to get the plastic piece in place then tightened everything back up.

Also check the nut/bolt underneath that holds the spindle - mine fell off and would cause it to squeak as well.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
mine squeaked, I loosened the bolts that hold that plastic in place and then opened and closed the carrier to get the plastic piece in place then tightened everything back up.

Also check the nut/bolt underneath that holds the spindle - mine fell off and would cause it to squeak as well.

I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

SDG

Caught the Bug
Not during normal everyday driving. Big bumps and off-road is where you hear it. I've tightened it up in the past but doesn't cure it. The carrier is fixed at the frame so there will always be a small amount of movement at that point.

That's the problem single action carriers that are frame mount. The tire carrier is mounted to the frame and also to the body on the rear tailgate. Since the jeep isolates the frame from the body they move more or less independent of one another, when the frame twists and the body is isolated there is a squeak... as far as I know there is really no good way to stop this in the more extreme off-road cases. It's the price you pay for the ease of use of a single action carrier.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

scrota76

Mine squeaked all the time. I tightened the carrier and cleaned the c clamp and the bar with alcohol wipes (you could use a bottle of alcohol and a rag). This created better contact.

I usually have this problem after a good offroad trip. Just seems like dirt and grime gets in between and then things loosen up. Tighten and clean always fixes my issue with the squeak.

My temp fix on the trail is to add a few layers of electrical tape to the area where the bar meets the mount.

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
That's the problem single action carriers that are frame mount. The tire carrier is mounted to the frame and also to the body on the rear tailgate. Since the jeep isolates the frame from the body they move more or less independent of one another, when the frame twists and the body is isolated there is a squeak... as far as I know there is really no good way to stop this in the more extreme off-road cases. It's the price you pay for the ease of use of a single action carrier.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yup. I'd imagine there is another material out there that I could build that c-block out of that won't squeak or at least squeak less.

Mine squeaked all the time. I tightened the carrier and cleaned the c clamp and the bar with alcohol wipes (you could use a bottle of alcohol and a rag). This created better contact.

I usually have this problem after a good offroad trip. Just seems like dirt and grime gets in between and then things loosen up. Tighten and clean always fixes my issue with the squeak.

My temp fix on the trail is to add a few layers of electrical tape to the area where the bar meets the mount.

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks for the info.

Top Bottom