AEV 5.7L radiator

desertrunner

I emailed C&R to see if they had any info about it and they said yes its common issue and that's why they changed the design of their isolators. I have their new design one and they said I'm the first that had reported it leaking so they are asking questions to see what might be the issue. ill keep updating this as I hear more.

Brute

Hooked
I emailed C&R to see if they had any info about it and they said yes its common issue and that's why they changed the design of their isolators. I have their new design one and they said I'm the first that had reported it leaking so they are asking questions to see what might be the issue. ill keep updating this as I hear more.
I really hope they get it sorted out for you...

desertrunner

i did find this picture of someone that added the spring to the upper mount. We will see what C&R comes back with BUT around the internet they seem to be the go to for people that have had cracks. And i agree their upper mounts are different and have way more flexibility than others on the market. Im just sitting here thinking what a pain in the ass to replace this damn thing again even if they send me a new one for free...
6O92avx.jpg

desertrunner

got an email back from C&R and this is what they said

" I talked with engineering and they are going to let me design a top plate that will capture the radiator over the top, as I feel this is a better option than the current mounting we have on rubber bushings. We will remove the upper mounting that is currently on the radiator. I just don’t want to run into the same issue 8 months from now. If you have a little time to work with, we will get this design done as I have a jeep here we can use to make the plate and then we will see how quick we can get a radiator built. Our current lead times are out till middle of February, but I will see what we can do to get it in-line once we get the drawing done."

still didn't really answer if they were going to send me out a new one on a warranty or if I'm going to have to shell out another $1200 but either way I might get to be one of the first ones with version 3 just got to wait out some engineering time.

overall they have been super quick to respond to emails and keep me in the loop on what they are doing to help me out which i appreciate.

desertrunner

so C&R have contacted me a few times now asking me for some measurements and sending me CAD photos of a new upper mount design. Im so far impressed with their customer service and it sounds like as soon as they get the first one done I will be the first one to get it and try it out. They are working of a stock 3.6L fitment so they are asking for pictures and measurements particularly in front of the gill area. Looks like they are working on a mount that attaches to the top of the radiator and acts like a lever spring to hold it in place. Of course they hit me with all sorts of "do not share photos of design" stuff but as soon as i get my hand on an actual one ill be sure to share.

Jsouder53

Hooked
so C&R have contacted me a few times now asking me for some measurements and sending me CAD photos of a new upper mount design. Im so far impressed with their customer service and it sounds like as soon as they get the first one done I will be the first one to get it and try it out. They are working of a stock 3.6L fitment so they are asking for pictures and measurements particularly in front of the gill area. Looks like they are working on a mount that attaches to the top of the radiator and acts like a lever spring to hold it in place. Of course they hit me with all sorts of "do not share photos of design" stuff but as soon as i get my hand on an actual one ill be sure to share.
That sounds awesome! Definitely great customer service 👍

desertrunner

Got an email from C&R today my new radiator ships out Friday. They put some pressure on for me to get it installed ASAP to make sure it fits. I guess the got another phone call about another cracked one same as me. Curious to see what they came up with and now that my truck is here I don't mind ripping apart the 4dr again

desertrunner

New radiator and mount showed up today this is what it looks like. I emailed to confirm install but it appears that bar mounting plate is what attaches to the jeep then just loosely contains the top of the radiator letting it move fairly free. Initially looks like it's all going to fit and hoping to have it installed but the end of the weekend
20211116_180406.jpg 20211116_180330.jpg 20211116_180353.jpg

wjtstudios

Hooked

Brute

Hooked

desertrunner

theoretically it should allow quite a lot of motion by the looks of it. Hopefully works.
Yeah i was thinking the same thing that's why I wanted to confirm before I installed it. Looks like it's barely going to be held in there. I guess that's probably a good thing and should act fairly similar to the springs mounts I was seeing around. Arguably the springs are probably cheaper but they didn't seem open to that idea when I mentioned it.

Yeah i was thinking the same thing that's why I wanted to confirm before I installed it. Looks like it's barely going to be held in there. I guess that's probably a good thing and should act fairly similar to the springs mounts I was seeing around. Arguably the springs are probably cheaper but they didn't seem open to that idea when I mentioned it.
I like their idea better then springs. It essentially isolates the entire thing from the frame versus just being able to move loosely on a spring mount that would wear eventually.

desertrunner

Got the new one sitting in place. Not completely installed yet but the new upper mount allows for about 1/2" of free moment forward and aft for the top of the radiator. So the top of the radiator is only held in place by the lip of that arm resting on top. I'm sure connectingthe rest of the lines and coolers will tighten it up some. 20211117_193644.jpg 20211117_193702.jpg

desertrunner

After sending them those pictures they are going to change the foam that sits on top. Have a little more wrap around so when it flexes it doesn't smack metal.

desertrunner

Found the first issue with that new upper mount, didn't find it until I hung the weight of the fan on it. The outer ends of the mount are pretty loose in the rubber isolators that mount to the jeep so as it flexes with the weight of the fan on it the upper C channel lifted up and the top of the radiator pops out essentially not being held in. So sent that over to C&R to see what they think.
20211120_200203.jpg

Top Bottom