Adding Some Lift

JudeinPa

First off I would like say that I am so glad this forum is here! I have been reading through a lot of threads on "Lift Kits" and found so much info and what kits are recommended or preferred. This really helps with trial & error as you don't want to sink money and then change something down the road.

I would like to eventually run 35" tires with a 3.5 to 4" lift but know that I would need to re-gear. I don't have that much money to spend right now and was thinking of (for now) adding a 2.5" buget boost and then later add a set of wheel & tires as I want to get some lift to my stock JK. In looking at the Teraflex 2.5" budget boost (as well as a few others) I noticed it said that in using the budget lift kit you would need to run wheel spacers if using stock rims as you would need 4.5" backspacing or less. In my state you can't use wheel spacers on the street.

Can anyone explain why you can't run stock rims?

Another question is do you still need to use a rear swaybar bracket if you purchase a rear adjustable trackbar?

Thank you in advance.

Ah2014jk

You will only need to run wheel spacers if you use stock rims AND wider tires. ( it has nothing to do with the lift itself ) A taller or wider tire has the potential to rub the frame when steering as the backspace on a stock rim isn't that significant. If you were to get smaller number backspace rim you would be fine ( depending on the size tire )
Hope that helps

Ah2014jk

Oh and an adjustable rear trackbar isn't needed as you can centre the rear axle AND raise the roll centre by using a new AXLE SIDE trackbar brace and it's way less money

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
If you goal is to run 35" tires then there is no need to go to a 3.5"-4" lift unless you like the old school 80's look. To run a 35" tire you only need 2.5" of lift. Since your on a budget a 2.5" budget boost that has the pucks and shock extensions would fit your bill perfectly. As far as brand goes all of the spacer pucks are the same but the kits are different. Make sure it comes with a rear trackbar relocation bracket, longer rear swaybars, and proper bumpstops.

As far as wheel spacers go you will be fine in PA with a set of 1.5" hub centric wheel spacers like the ones spidertrax offers. The wheel spacers that are illegal in our state (and many others) are the 1/4" shims which shorten your wheel studs.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I would like to eventually run 35" tires with a 3.5 to 4" lift but know that I would need to re-gear. I don't have that much money to spend right now and was thinking of (for now) adding a 2.5" buget boost and then later add a set of wheel & tires as I want to get some lift to my stock JK. In looking at the Teraflex 2.5" budget boost (as well as a few others) I noticed it said that in using the budget lift kit you would need to run wheel spacers if using stock rims as you would need 4.5" backspacing or less. In my state you can't use wheel spacers on the street.

Can anyone explain why you can't run stock rims?

Another question is do you still need to use a rear swaybar bracket if you purchase a rear adjustable trackbar?

Thank you in advance.

As mentioned, 3.5"-4" of lift is A LOT of lift for just 35" tires. You really should be looking at something more like a 2.5"-3" MAX, unless you just like the 80's sky high look.

You can run stock rims with bigger/wider tires just fine but, you will need the wheel spacers to help prevent your rear side walls from making contact on the rear sway bar link ends and to help prevent rubbing at a full turn up front. High quality wheel spacers, the kind you bolt on to your axle first and then your wheels on to them behave no differently than wheels with less back spacing. The kind thin spacers you sandwich between your wheels and axle are DANGEROUS and should be illegal everywhere.

As far as "sway bar" brackets go - they are NOT the same thing as a "track bar" relocation bracket. If you meant to say the later, no, you will not need it with an adjustable track bar SO LONG AS you are not sky high.

JudeinPa

Thank you for your responses!

No, I am not going for the 80's look just a nice lift with good COG. Plan on using the stock wheels & tires for a short time. I think I am settling on a set of 17x8.5 Method Street locs.

As far as the rear adjustable track bar (sorry I made the mistake of posting swaybar bracket) I was wondering if you can use one in lieu of installing a rear track bar relocation bracket. They (relocation brackets) look like they may fail down the road and thought it may be a better route to go.

Thanks again for your responses as they will help me with this budget JK lift and I will make sure the kit has the longer rear swaybars, rear trackbar relocation bracket and bump stops.

Top Bottom