ABS Bleed with Scanner

bubbad323

Happy Thanksgiving all! I upgraded my brakes and bled the system and my pedal was still a little spongy for my liking. Did an ABS bleed with a scanner (first time) and the scanner only had me do the right front and rear right tires. Then is said the operation was complete. Is this normal? What about the other two tires? I did notice some improvement on the brake pedal but feel it could be better. Just scratching my head at only two wheels being bled through the abs. I may try it again but wanted to ask for some feedback since this was the first time I ever did this. Maybe it’s normal?

jeeeep

Hooked
I use one on my 2010 JKU and it also only did the right side, those are the 2 furthest and should remove all the air from the ABS system.

Did you have a helper to keep the pedal pressed and did you do a manual bleed before the ABS scan?

I've got a stretch of road nearby that has little to no traffic and I can get up to around 50 then slam on the brakes to trigger the ABS, I do this a couple of times then do another ABS bleed to get that factory feel back.

Last edited:

bubbad323

I use one on my 2010 JKU and it also only did the right side, those are the 2 furthest and should remove all the air from the ABS system.

Did you have a helper to keep the pedal pressed and did you do a manual bleed before the ABS scan?

I've got a stretch of road nearby that has little to no traffic and I can get up to around 50 then slam on the brakes to trigger the ABS, I do this a couple of times then do another ABS bleed to get that factory feel back.
Thanks so it’s one side only. Yes I did a full manual bleed and had my daughter help me with the ABS bleed. Pedal is better after but I feel like maybe I could do another bleed just to be sure. Appreciate the reply!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Best way I have learned to bleed the abs unit is to get to about 35mph and slam on the brakes in a grassy section. Will allow the abs unit to pump for as long as your on the brakes. I do this in some big medium duty box trucks at work. It’s a bit nerve racking for sure but it works every time

As mentioned above it will only bleed the two calipers furthers away from the unit. That is by design. Bleeding brakes correctly on a JK is a major PITA. It usually takes a few tries. I would always cringe when someone would come in to the shop wanting us to install an aftermarket system.

Top Bottom