ABS and ESP Dash Lights -- what sensors???

TeamFaust

Okay so while back the ABS and ESP BAS lights on my 2008 JKU were going on and off and are now just on...the breaking feels fine and appears to be working okay (haven't had an opportunity for ABS situation to see if doing its thing). What I am really trying to figure out is:
1) What sensors and their location for these idiot lights (I'm not seeing any codes on my SuperChips unit)?
2) Other's experiences/ Likely causes and solutions for what could be causing?

Let me know if additional info needed. Thanks for input.

JKU ABS ESP-BAS Dash Lights.jpg

TeamFaust

I was thinking Wheel Speed Sensors...I did do a front axle seal replacement and lights started about 1000 miles later.
Is there anyway to test them to know which or figure time to replace all. 124,800 miles on the JKU?

I was thinking Wheel Speed Sensors...I did do a front axle seal replacement and lights started about 1000 miles later.
Is there anyway to test them to know which or figure time to replace all. 124,800 miles on the JKU?

You could always replace your front hubs that come with a new wheel speed sensor and ABS cable.

Running 35s and assuming you have some offset on those Methods, hubs are good preventative maintenance once a year or so…might be a good place to start.

As the others have said, I'm gonna say wheel speed sensors as well.

The sensors are located on the hub itself on the outer side of the brake shield, held in by an allen bolt. The cable runs through a retainer under the upper ball joint and then around the front spring, and up to its wiring harness behind the shock. It's really easy to replace on either side, just need to remove the caliper and rotor. If it were me I'd just replace them at the same time.

As @Cousin Clyde said too, might be worth it to replace the hubs entirely if you haven't done so with that many miles yet.

TeamFaust

Thanks all. Ordered a set and will likely just replace all four. Although would be good to figure which bad and hang on to the others as spares.

If you replaced an axel did you square it up? That would cause a speed sensor to read off and turn on the light if one side is ahead of the other it's faster.

TeamFaust

Jumped in and decided to just go through the WSS one at a time to find the bad one. Bingo! Tip broken off front passenger side. (y) IMG_3918.jpg Clear Dash.jpg

However while replacing it appears that the hub/bearing might be a bit loose so now need to replace that too....and of course they come with new WSS included that was a waste...spare for next one I guess. :cautious:

TeamFaust

You could always replace your front hubs that come with a new wheel speed sensor and ABS cable.

Running 35s and assuming you have some offset on those Methods, hubs are good preventative maintenance once a year or so…might be a good place to start.
Yep, Great Call Cousin Clyde!! That would have been the right play!! Somehow I over looked that / it didn't register as I wasn't thinking hubs were bad but in hind sight would have been the right preventative thing to do as now going to go down that path :cautious:

Yep, Great Call Cousin Clyde!! That would have been the right play!! Somehow I over looked that / it didn't register as I wasn't thinking hubs were bad but in hind sight would have been the right preventative thing to do as now going to go down that path :cautious:

Glad you found the issue of the broken sensor. Nothing better than finding the culprit.

And yea I had a drivers side hub fail pretty noticeably one time to where I could feel the grinding while driving, and I’ve swapped them pretty regularly since.

Video of smoked hub below:

jamesrw30

Is there a way to check resistance or anything like that to find a bad one? I've never heard of such but figured it's worth asking. Mine comes and goes. I'm waiting on it to stay. My traction control light comes on and it seems to cut power like it thinks it's losing traction. Makes me lean toward one of the rear ones.

Top Bottom