A new eruption just started here in Hawaii

Brute

Hooked
Nothing scarier than a tiger shark in your face with your bag of fish tied to your surf shorts.
Biggest one I’ve seen up close was 30 years ago on the south west end of Molokai…I was pulling awa out of a net in chest deep water…then came upon the heads only in the net…looked down the floats and saw the big dorsal coming toward me on the other side of the net…looked like a submarine. I quickly mastered the “move calmly but fucking fast” wade back to shore…

Brute

Hooked
Biggest one I’ve seen up close was 30 years ago on the south west end of Molokai…I was pulling awa out of a net in chest deep water…then came upon the heads only in the net…looked down the floats and saw the big dorsal coming toward me on the other side of the net…looked like a submarine. I quickly mastered the “move calmly but fucking fast” wade back to shore…
16 feet…

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
16 feet…
Wild. Back in the day, my friend and I were spear fishing off the Kona coast. I looked ahead of me where he was, didn’t see him. Popped my head outta the water and he was 15 feet up a cliff and pointing behind me. I turned around and there was a maybe 8’ tiger showing his broadside and maybe only 10-15’ away from me. I had the bag of bleeding fish tied to my surf shorts. Needless to say I joined him on the cliff, climbed to the top and walked back. I’ve since started tying the catch to a buoy. Easy target for Eels though. Can’t win.

JT@623

Hooked
Wild. Back in the day, my friend and I were spear fishing off the Kona coast. I looked ahead of me where he was, didn’t see him. Popped my head outta the water and he was 15 feet up a cliff and pointing behind me. I turned around and there was a maybe 8’ tiger showing his broadside and maybe only 10-15’ away from me. I had the bag of bleeding fish tied to my surf shorts. Needless to say I joined him on the cliff, climbed to the top and walked back. I’ve since started tying the catch to a buoy. Easy target for Eels though. Can’t win.
If I ever found my self that close to a shark Jesus ain’t the only one who’d walk on water 😳

Brute

Hooked
When free diving, I always had the fish on a float…10 feet behind me.

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Had to get up there and take some pictures before the close the road. Most of the pictures are shitty. Almost all of them have some other random people in it. There are what seems like thousands of people up there… and a whole lotta cops chasing people away. Our shitty county decided to not allow parking along the road, and impose a $1000 fine for doing so. If you’ve seen the road, you know that’s outrageous. Shoulders are big enough to add another lane to each side. It’s not about safety. It’s about control. Anyway, here’s a couple shots. D1237315-777E-4E5F-BBBB-CDD0420A7730.jpeg
FBFC3DDF-6F8E-4800-8341-EB3DB1531230.jpeg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Had to get up there and take some pictures before the close the road. Most of the pictures are shitty. Almost all of them have some other random people in it. There are what seems like thousands of people up there… and a whole lotta cops chasing people away. Our shitty county decided to not allow parking along the road, and impose a $1000 fine for doing so. If you’ve seen the road, you know that’s outrageous. Shoulders are big enough to add another lane to each side. It’s not about safety. It’s about control. Anyway, here’s a couple shots. View attachment 382509
View attachment 382510
wow o_O

Had to get up there and take some pictures before the close the road. Most of the pictures are shitty. Almost all of them have some other random people in it. There are what seems like thousands of people up there… and a whole lotta cops chasing people away. Our shitty county decided to not allow parking along the road, and impose a $1000 fine for doing so. If you’ve seen the road, you know that’s outrageous. Shoulders are big enough to add another lane to each side. It’s not about safety. It’s about control. Anyway, here’s a couple shots. View attachment 382509
View attachment 382510
That top photo is amazing!

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Is the lava flow going to cut off the Saddle Road?
They’re saying it could within the next couple of days if it keeps going at its current pace and direction. I think it’s less that 4-5 miles from the road as of yesterday. Looks like it’ll cross at or very close to Mauna Kea access road.

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Quick update. Something shifted or collapsed within the active fissure. The flow heading towards the saddle road is no longer being supplied by fresh lava. The vent has also changed from being a relatively low rumbling fountain to a massive fountain. No word yet on where it will be heading yet, but things are changing for sure. The whole thing might just quit soon. Who knows.

Here’s a picture I took today from my dads house somewhere between 30-40 miles away. The knob in the right center is the new fountain. Might head back over there tonight if it stays clear.

1CF7EF9E-EFFA-4545-9AEF-920C7ABE2CD5.jpeg

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Quick update. Something shifted or collapsed within the active fissure. The flow heading towards the saddle road is no longer being supplied by fresh lava. The vent has also changed from being a relatively low rumbling fountain to a massive fountain. No word yet on where it will be heading yet, but things are changing for sure. The whole thing might just quit soon. Who knows.

Here’s a picture I took today from my dads house somewhere between 30-40 miles away. The knob in the right center is the new fountain. Might head back over there tonight if it stays clear.

View attachment 382731
I call the knob in my center the fountain too.

Top Bottom