A Dirt Head's JK

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Every weekend, my dad and I take the TJ out for a drive to keep it going and well preserved. I really don't post enough of this beauty, so here are some proper shots of our 1997 TJ with just 55k on the odometer, 3k LESS than my JK now!

View attachment 388469
Going for an old school CJ style look with the tubular bumpers and machined Eagle Alloy wheels.

View attachment 388470
The interior is in MINT condition. Always wrapped in cloth and towels and garage kept. My dad really does baby this thing 😂

View attachment 388471
It's running 33x12.50 BFGs on a 2.5" lift with practically ancient Pro Comp shocks 😅

View attachment 388472
The ol' girl is in need of a new set of fender flares.

View attachment 388473
And next up for my Jeep is touching up the flares with another coat of bedliner. While they're not totally faded necessarily, they've taken some abuse offroad and I just wanna freshen them up a bit.
Nice! That thing is essentially new. You really need to get that thing out more!

Nice! That thing is essentially new. You really need to get that thing out more!
You couldn't be any more right!

Luckily my dad and I have made it at least a weekend tradition recently. We're both always slammed at work but we always have talked about getting it built up more and wheeling it more often. Hopefully those dreams will become a reality sooner rather than later.

My buddy and I returned to one of our favorite spots for a quick outing on Memorial Day. He just reluctantly sold his 2004 TJ he's been building for 4 years for a 2018 Tacoma TRD Off-Road... Sickening. Lol, he wants an LJ next as a weekend wheeler but is gonna take his new daily driver out for the time being. Here's a couple shots from the trail:

A good rain the day prior kept the dust down to a minimum.
PSX_20230531_205020.jpg

We stuck to more mild of a trail because of his stock Tacoma, but still had plenty of fun and I still got to stretch the Jeep's legs here and there.
Screenshot_20230531-210247_Gallery.jpg

As a trade off for no dust however, of course we got mud instead...
PSX_20230531_204927.jpg

I've avoided mud since the NYR, but guess that streak has come to an end. Here's wash #1 of 3.
PSX_20230531_205106.jpg

Last edited:
This morning, I finally got around to adding 2 coats of Rustoleum Bedliner on my fender flares. Nearly 2 years ago, I bought a $9 can of this stuff and threw on just a single "test" coat onto all my flares, only to find it matched the OE texture and finish perfectly! So after just a month shy of two years of them holding up, I finally decided they were scratched up and faded enough to do it properly. So $11 for a can later (damn inflation 🙄) I've got 2 fresh coats of it on now. After that and my 3rd wash in a row after eradicating all the mud, my Jeep finally looks fresh again 👍

Here's my Jeep at his favorite lunch stop:
PSX_20230531_204653.jpg
PSX_20230531_204637.jpg
PSX_20230531_204731.jpg
PSX_20230531_204754.jpg

Up next is to address the horrific freedom panel fade I posted about in another thread. Gonna sand down and refinish the whole area.

duktrx

This morning, I finally got around to adding 2 coats of Rustoleum Bedliner on my fender flares. Nearly 2 years ago, I bought a $9 can of this stuff and threw on just a single "test" coat onto all my flares, only to find it matched the OE texture and finish perfectly! So after just a month shy of two years of them holding up, I finally decided they were scratched up and faded enough to do it properly. So $11 for a can later (damn inflation 🙄) I've got 2 fresh coats of it on now. After that and my 3rd wash in a row after eradicating all the mud, my Jeep finally looks fresh again 👍

View attachment 390202
View attachment 390201
View attachment 390203
View attachment 390204

Up next is to address the horrific freedom panel fade I posted about in another thread. Gonna sand down and refinish the whole area.
Glad to hear the Rustoleum bedliner is a good match; I have a can I bought years ago for my flares, and now just need to do mine.

View attachment 390202
View attachment 390201
View attachment 390203
View attachment 390204

The fenders look great! If you stop doing the Dukes Of Hazard thing to get into your Jeep, then the finish on the panels should last longer. 😀

Gave the Jeep a quick wash today after a few nights of light rain (been oddly gloomy in San Diego recently) and I really like how the fenders glisten a bit in the sunlight, thanks to the bedliner.

Also realized I forgot to clean the engine bay after my recent muddy trip and got that freshened up as well. And lastly after much debate, I decided to throw the stock taillights back on. Looks clean. Looks - classic, even.

PSX_20230608_230052.jpg
PSX_20230608_230020.jpg
PSX_20230608_225942.jpg

Upgrades like a drag link, tie rod, driveshafts, wheels, etc for the Jeep have been on hold for a while, but really I'm in no rush. There's always something I want, always something that will improve it's drivability, always something that will improve its capability. But for now I'm really focusing on a big career change and have been content with where the Jeep is now since I've been putting aside money as I'm unsure just yet where I'll need to move when I do start. I'm really excited and if all goes well, good things will come if I wait.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Upgrades like a drag link, tie rod, driveshafts, wheels, etc for the Jeep have been on hold for a while, but really I'm in no rush. There's always something I want, always something that will improve it's drivability, always something that will improve its capability. But for now I'm really focusing on a big career change and have been content with where the Jeep is now since I've been putting aside money as I'm unsure just yet where I'll need to move when I do start. I'm really excited and if all goes well, good things will come if I wait.
Sounds like you're keeping what's coming next a secret for now? I know you've been looking at a couple of things and hope you get what you're wanting and look forward to hearing what it is 👍

Career change?
Sounds like you're keeping what's coming next a secret for now? I know you've been looking at a couple of things and hope you get what you're wanting and look forward to hearing what it is 👍
Don't worry, when everything's set in stone you guys will hear about it 😎

For now let's just say, I can probably get that Gladiator sooner than I previously imagined 🤪

Sylvester

Gave the Jeep a quick wash today after a few nights of light rain (been oddly gloomy in San Diego recently) and I really like how the fenders glisten a bit in the sunlight, thanks to the bedliner.

Also realized I forgot to clean the engine bay after my recent muddy trip and got that freshened up as well. And lastly after much debate, I decided to throw the stock taillights back on. Looks clean. Looks - classic, even.

View attachment 390646
View attachment 390647
View attachment 390648
just have say i liked the other Tail lights better, LOLOL

Top Bottom