8 Ply Nitto vs. 10 Ply Nitto?

King Con

Tire place is telling me they would recommend a Nitto Trail Grappler 315 70 17 with 8 ply for my 2014 JKRUX instead of a 35 12.50 17 with 10 ply sidewall. I will be taking it hunting and fishing and be my daily driver. I know the 8 ply is probably more comfy but I worry about a 8 ply during hunting season. What do you guys think?

Thanks,

King Con

The 8 will ride a little nicer but probably not really that noticeable, I know nitto/toyo make a tough tire with lots of rubber so they can take a ton of abuse. So it's really your call, the 315's may work out to be the taller tire over the 35's.

For occasional offroad trips, don't worry and go with 8 plys. I have DT 8 plys on my jk and my brother had 10 ply firestone destination m/t, and the ride was horrible in is jeep (with stock suspension) compared to mine with 3'' lift.

i have the 10 ply mud grapplers and couldnt be happier. with the right psi it rides great. if i fill it up past 30 the ride stiffens ever so slightly

If they're about the same size, I'd go with the 8-Ply if this is your DD. The JK Unlimited is still way lighter than the pickups that go with 10-ply. Nitto's are great tires, and something that would tear a whole into a 8 ply would damage up your 10-ply pretty good anyway with a big gash... The 8 ply may even be a little lighter too. This will give you better ride comfort and maybe a little more MPG.

If this is a dedicated rig, then maybe the 10 ply.

EDIT:

I have the TG 10-ply BTW, but would have gone this option if I new it was there.

Is the sidewall actually different between 8 ply and 10 ply? Doesn't the ply rating only refer to the tread portion of the tire?

Sent from my SCH-R830 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Is the sidewall actually different between 8 ply and 10 ply? Doesn't the ply rating only refer to the tread portion of the tire?

Sent from my SCH-R830 using WAYALIFE mobile app

You're right that it does refer to that. I'm thinking though that a lighter ply will allow the tire to deform more on certain objects, absorbing the hit, which makes for a more comfy ride. The harder ply will not cushion, translating into feeling those bumps.

Last edited:
Top Bottom