40's -vs- 42's..... Ready.. Discuss!

AZVAJKU

Hooked
If anything, this is the direction a lot of us went in - WIDER. As in, 40x15.50's.

main.php

Still one of my all time favorite setups.

main.php

I agree. I would like to see wider sizes in the 40’s. 👍🏻🇺🇸👍🏻

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I agree. I would like to see wider sizes in the 40’s. 👍🏻🇺🇸👍🏻
I've been temped on many occasions to run Mud Grapplers again just so that I could get back to that stance. It's the one setup where I've felt a difference and still think they "look" bigger too. Only problem is that they're crazy heavy. Heavier than a 42.

dyn0mitemat

I've been temped on many occasions to run Mud Grapplers again just so that I could get back to that stance. It's the one setup where I've felt a difference and still think they "look" bigger too. Only problem is that they're crazy heavy. Heavier than a 42.
How bad did you find the road noise of the mud vs trail grapplers?
I’m trying to find 40s to complete my build and everyone’s saying out of stock on 40” trail grapplers for a few months still but I can find mud grapplers.
I really love how quiet the trail grapplers are on the street and would like to stick with them so I don’t have to wear ear plugs for the trips out west, but would entertain the idea of putting mud’s on if someone with a good comparison said there wasn’ta huge difference.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
How bad did you find the road noise of the mud vs trail grapplers?
I’m trying to find 40s to complete my build and everyone’s saying out of stock on 40” trail grapplers for a few months still but I can find mud grapplers.
I really love how quiet the trail grapplers are on the street and would like to stick with them so I don’t have to wear ear plugs for the trips out west, but would entertain the idea of putting mud’s on if someone with a good comparison said there wasn’ta huge difference.
LOL - what I can tell you is that the noise is real. Not as bad as some will tell you but it's significantly louder than Trail Grapplers.

dyn0mitemat

Haha that’s kinda what I gathered from around the web but never had any real world experiences with them. Thanks for the heads up!

Guess I’ll play the waiting game then 🤞

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Haha that’s kinda what I gathered from around the web but never had any real world experiences with them. Thanks for the heads up!

Guess I’ll play the waiting game then 🤞
LOL - if there is an upside to them, they hook up amazingly well off road. Probably one of the best off road tires I've run bar none.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wow! That’s LOUD!!

Has anyone run the Nitto Trail Grapplers in 40x15.50R20LT D 128Q?
That's actually a size I wouldn't mind trying out. I probably would too on Moby if I had another set of 20" wheels to work with. I can only assume they're essentially like Mud Grapplers and Toyo MT's in that size and that means each tire and beadlock will weigh in at about 190 lbs. As in, they can be tough to work with.

dyn0mitemat

Yeah I’ve looked at going 20’s too so I can find tires, which are in stock all over then… but finding decent 20” 8luv beadlocks right now is just as hard as finding tires

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah I’ve looked at going 20’s too so I can find tires, which are in stock all over then… but finding decent 20” 8luv beadlocks right now is just as hard as finding tires
Harder. Or at least, for me it was. I can still make calls and get tires that I want but it took Lisa at EVO to get the 20's we have now for our Gladiator. Even that took a month or so to get.

dyn0mitemat

Harder. Or at least, for me it was. I can still make calls and get tires that I want but it took Lisa at EVO to get the 20's we have now for our Gladiator. Even that took a month or so to get.
Yeah I heard you mention that in the video. I’ve contemplated going to 42’s (got fusion 60/80 and EVO long arm/coilovers) but I truely ‘feel’ like 40’s are a great size for a 4door. Anyone else I’ve seen with bigger on a 4door definitely has either limited wheel travel or tonssssss of cutting for clearance

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
40’s is plenty on a JK that’s setup for any up travel unless you start real high.
Drivetrain loss is real deal with 40s, 42s would be crazy and even getting deep enough gears in Dana ring sets becomes an issue. Loss with 40s and dynatracs is in the neighborhood of almost 40% already.

Some of the JL’s setup for more slow speed crawling have looked really good on 42s and the few gladiators do look pretty awesome and are tempting to throw on a diesel gladiator.

I’m not sure about “loss of stability” as has been discussed. If by raising suspension to accommodate, sure but that’s independent of the tire specifically. The 42s I think have less sidewall which I would imagine would make them more stable but I’ve yet to have experience with them.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Resurrecting this thread. Just got back into the game. Picked up a JL and am almost done sourcing parts. Dynatrac 60/80 build. Have two sets of wheels to choose from. A used set of spare 40’s from a friend or a rare set of 42’s from a project Jeep that’s been sitting. Couldn’t find a 392 when I was shopping since I refuse to pay more than MSRP. Worried about drivetrain loss on the 2.0L would be untenable even with 5:38’s. How much height typically has to be added to l create the clearance on 42’s?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Resurrecting this thread. Just got back into the game. Picked up a JL and am almost done sourcing parts. Dynatrac 60/80 build. Have two sets of wheels to choose from. A used set of spare 40’s from a friend or a rare set of 42’s from a project Jeep that’s been sitting. Couldn’t find a 392 when I was shopping since I refuse to pay more than MSRP. Worried about drivetrain loss on the 2.0L would be untenable even with 5:38’s. How much height typically has to be added to l create the clearance on 42’s?
🤦🏼‍♀️

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
42s and a 2.0? Really??

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
42s and a 2.0? Really??
I’ve been lying to myself not to pull the trigger on a 6.4 Swap while everything else goes in two weeks from now. So far the 2.0 feels better than the 3.6 and that’s made me optimistic. Can’t say that it’s a good idea, but it’s what happened. Feedback on the 42’s is truly appreciated though. Real world experience is everything.

DavoSmith

Is there is a significant increase in off-road capability comparing 42" Nitto Trail Grapplers vs 40" Nitto Trail Grapplers on a Diesel Jeep Gladiator JT build?

I'm planning a significant JT build with 72.5" Dynatrac 60/80 ProRock HD axles, 5.13 gears, E-lockers front and back, PSC Steering Kit and either EVO or Rebel Offroad Long Arm suspension. Given the extra long wheel base and shallow departure angle of the JT, I'm assuming I could use the extra ground clearance and improved departure angle the 42s would provide. I'm wondering how much more capable the JT would be with 42" compared to 40" tires on the Rubicon and Moab, Sand Hollow trails.

Real world insight is greatly appreciated.

Top Bottom