40s and stock axles?

BruceyZ06

I know this topic is like beating a dead horse. But, I got back from EJS 23' which was pretty cool. First one I've attended. I have a 20 JTR with a full MetalCloak kit 37s with KMC headlocks -38 offset. Ball joints, Reid knuckles, Apex steering boost, and a steering brace sector shaft, rear chromoly shafts and will be upgrading to RCV from axles. I know some will say you'll break axels and you need one tons. I know that's the ultimate goal is to run tons. I'm an avid light wheeler smart lines I chose. I stay off the gas pedal when I wheel. I'm just curious to see what are your real world thoughts?

Thanks!

onlyone

37s are not small. I would stick with them until you’re ready for larger axles. You can run 40’s and get along with them but you’ll hate it, especially with the V6. Your steering will suffer, you’ll need gears, and you will break shit. You will most likely get away with it for quite a while though. I guess if you’re cool with it, let us know how it goes.

CalSgt

Hooked
Real world thoughts?

I think you should go for it!

Then just progressively repair and upgrade weak links as they become apparent, once all those are fixed you still have an 8.6" ring gear incapable of being strong if geared low enough to pull 40" tires. The pinion gear size is not upgradeable.

The toyota guys I wheel with are all finesse and low range at a huge weight savings over a jeep, they all run 5.29 gears with 37's to keep them drivable. I've watched almost every one of them snap a pinion, at least toyota's have a drop out 3rd member. I've replaced one on the Rubicon trail, one at Johnson valley, and one in Moab Utah, also have tugged a few through Rubicon trail when no spare 3rd member was available.

Both good advice here ^^^

If Im not mistaken the 44 in the JL and JT is beefier than the JK before, so I know people are throwing 40s on it without batting an eye. However I'd agree with either of the guys above and stay on 37s, which is still a huge tire and can tackle just about anything until you're rig is ready to comfortably run 40s, or send it and find out what can't handle them later on - obviously the gear ratio, (probably would wanna run a 5.38 if its the 3.6) drag link, tie rod, ball joints, driveshafts, axle shafts, etc, the whole shebang.

I know a guy that does it and he's had no problems... yet.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I know this topic is like beating a dead horse. But, I got back from EJS 23' which was pretty cool. First one I've attended. I have a 20 JTR with a full MetalCloak kit 37s with KMC headlocks -38 offset. Ball joints, Reid knuckles, Apex steering boost, and a steering brace sector shaft, rear chromoly shafts and will be upgrading to RCV from axles. I know some will say you'll break axels and you need one tons. I know that's the ultimate goal is to run tons. I'm an avid light wheeler smart lines I chose. I stay off the gas pedal when I wheel. I'm just curious to see what are your real world thoughts?

Thanks!
You can throw all the chromoly this and truss that and beefed up whatever you want on your factory 44 but it won't change the fact that the pinion will be very very small on 5.38 gears. This IS the ratio you really want to be running with 40's IF you hope to retain at least factory performance. THIS is where you WILL see a break. I am speaking from personal experience here but certainly, I suck at this wheeling thing.

benatc1

Hooked
You can throw all the chromoly this and truss that and beefed up whatever you want on your factory 44 but it won't change the fact that the pinion will be very very small on 5.38 gears. This IS the ratio you really want to be running with 40's IF you hope to retain at least factory performance. THIS is where you WILL see a break. I am speaking from personal experience here but certainly, I suck at this wheeling thing.
I’m no genius, but it seems like every time this thread pops up people think they can manage by changing axles shafts, truss, ect, but it’s really about the physics of that little pinion lol

BruceyZ06

Send it…
I do like this idea lol.
You're right Eddie. I'm sure if I was crusing around town it would be fine, to an extent... But wheeling... I'm sure I'll be on borrowed time. Guess I'll need to stay with 40s. I thnk 38s would be a waste of money.

Top Bottom