40" tire question

The guys I run with are very opinionated about not having too much sidewall.. On the very off camber trails, you end up with the sidewalls rolling and giving you a sloppy feeling. The same thing happens when you are aired down and trying to turn, you just about rip your tire off the bead because the sidewall flexes so much, especially at speed.

The bigger sidewalls can be nice for getting a bigger footprint, and for absorbing rocks a lot better (helping your articulation), but with modern suspension, you hardly need that extra little bit. And with the sport getting into higher speed, precision driving, and people driving their rigs on the highway, handling is becoming very important.

So..... If you're gonna build a mud truck that doesn't need to handle well, and could use the extra suspension cushion of a bigger sidewall, then get your 44" tires with tiny little rims..

If you want to build a rock crawler/high speed/daily driver, and need something to respond to the steering wheel better, then stick with a big rim.

That being said, 17" is about as small as I would go for a 40, but would still work.

My $0.02

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

Last edited:
I priced the tires and rims at a local tire shop this morning. They told me I couldn't run this combo on my Jeep with anything less than 10" of lift. I argued with him for a little bit and then just decided to call Northridge. I try to support local businesses, but sometimes they just make it too hard. I can't imagine what my Jeep would look like with a 10" lift. :doh:

I priced the tires and rims at a local tire shop this morning. They told me I couldn't run this combo on my Jeep with anything less than 10" of lift. I argued with him for a little bit and then just decided to call Northridge. I try to support local businesses, but sometimes they just make it too hard. I can't imagine what my Jeep would look like with a 10" lift. :doh:

Does anyone even make a 10" lift lmao :cheesy::cheesy:

What an idiot!! Why would he try to talk you into smaller (cheaper) tires!!??? That sounds pretty ridiculous. You should take him a couple pics of Moby, or evo1, or even better, take your rig back when you have your 40s!

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

Local tire shop here said there's no way I'll be able to run 37"'s with my 3" bds and flat flares. Tried selling me a 6" lift and discount the tires if I did.

Last edited:

Would probably look like this: 1392448028443.jpg Sorry, Adam, I had to do it.lol

Sent from my DROID4 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Local tire shop here said there's now way I'll be able to run 37"'s with my 3" bds and flat flares. Tried selling me a 6" lift and discount the tires if I did.

Might be the same shop in Indiana that mounted my 35's on a stock suspension, 1.5" wheel spacers, and trimmed fenders was impossible to run 35's and I required at least 3" of lift. I told them that I know enough about JKs and that it will be fine. They refused to dismount all the tires until they did one and then forced me to mount one 35 and turn my wheel full R and L to prove to me that it would hit. Well they learned something new this day! :crazyeyes:

Top Bottom