40" Nitto Trail Grappler Tread Life?

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
I have roughly 4K miles on my 40" Nitto Trail Grapplers. With at least 2.5K of those being freeway miles. Everyone tells me that these tires have great tread wear, but Im having some doubts. I keep the tires inflated at roughly 29-31psi. Using the unused spare as a guide, I approximate that a new tire has roughly 11/16" of tread. My rear tires are showing good tread wear with 5/8" tread left...Basically a little more than a 1/16" tread worn in 4K miles. My Fronts are a different story. with 7/16" tread left. Is this normal? I can extrapolate that I will be rotating tires and then potentially replacing tires within 12K miles? Not the end of the world, but seems significantly worse than Toyo Open Country's.

mackey

So this is what I suggest.

1. Sell me your 40s
2. Buy the Procomp 40s on the Trucker War thread. Lol
3. Then kick yourself for buying ProComps
4. I resell you your 40s back for twice the amount.

In all seriousness, if you do want to sell your tires, let me know. I am on a waiting list for them.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
We get great tread wear on our 37's but on our 40's we only got about 35,000 miles out of them. I think it has a softer rubber compound.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
We get great tread wear on our 37's but on our 40's we only got about 35,000 miles out of them. I think it has a softer rubber compound.

If I rotate tires soon, I still don't see how I can possibly get 35K out of these. It'll be great if I do, but its looking a lot like 12k-15K miles?...like Mud Grapplers.

So you have roughly 1500 miles off road?
K spec?

Ha. No way. I live somewhere between "the country" and "suburbia". The first 1600 miles was the drive back from ORE. The rest of the 2400 miles is what Ive done with it since it got home to texas in 8 months (300 miles a month). Maybe 400 miles off road. I don't believe I have K spec tires.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If I rotate tires soon, I still don't see how I can possibly get 35K out of these. It'll be great if I do, but its looking a lot like 12k-15K miles?...like Mud Grapplers.

I dunno what to tell ya. Did you maybe get the k-spec? They are stickies and wouldn't last much more than 10k.

GCM 2

Dunno. I don't see any K-spec identifying marks on my invoice or on the tires. I'll have to give Drew a call.

I don't own the stickies, but I have had plenty of time working with them on EVO1. The K specs will have "NOT DOT LEGAL (or approved?) clearly stamped on the sidewall.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
What does race have to do with anything? This isn't Ferguson, Missouri and Eddie is still Mexican!

Tires are black. And with that lil comment I just destroyed any chance of running for political office.:eek:

Last edited:

David1tontj

I have roughly 4K miles on my 40" Nitto Trail Grapplers. With at least 2.5K of those being freeway miles. Everyone tells me that these tires have great tread wear, but Im having some doubts. I keep the tires inflated at roughly 29-31psi. Using the unused spare as a guide, I approximate that a new tire has roughly 11/16" of tread. My rear tires are showing good tread wear with 5/8" tread left...Basically a little more than a 1/16" tread worn in 4K miles. My Fronts are a different story. with 7/16" tread left. Is this normal? I can extrapolate that I will be rotating tires and then potentially replacing tires within 12K miles? Not the end of the world, but seems significantly worse than Toyo Open Country's.

I would check your alignment. Sounds like you may be too far toe in- which is great for keeping it from wandering, but too much can lead to excessive tread wear. I feel like that could explain why the fronts are going so much faster than the rear. If they were k spec, I would expect them all to be low.

Speeddmn

Quick math... If you wear them down to 2/16's left till you replace them. That leaves you in the 8/16's left. With regular 5 tire rotation every 3-4k miles. You are getting 4k miles per 1/16th of an inch. With 8 left, times 4k means you have 32k miles left.

Eddie just said he got 35k miles out of his. Add your current 4k to the possible 32k and you get 36... Thats pretty damn close.

I suggest you start the 5 tire rotation asap and keep the air pressure all the same and keep tabs.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Quick math... If you wear them down to 2/16's left till you replace them. That leaves you in the 8/16's left. With regular 5 tire rotation every 3-4k miles. You are getting 4k miles per 1/16th of an inch. With 8 left, times 4k means you have 32k miles left.

Eddie just said he got 35k miles out of his. Add your current 4k to the possible 32k and you get 36... Thats pretty damn close.

I suggest you start the 5 tire rotation asap and keep the air pressure all the same and keep tabs.

Great info thanks for the math. :rock:

Top Bottom