38s on a Dana 35?!

Zekken

Against what I had read, I decided to put 38x13.50r17 Milestar Patagonia M/T 02's on a set of method bead grip (-12mm) wheels. The combo weights about 110 lbs

I have stock axles on my JLU Sahara 4x4: which is a Dana 35 front and a Dana 44 Rear.
I also swapped the gears or for some Yukon 4.88s

This setup has been on for about 3 months now and has seen some good off-road and on road use with no issue. Granted I have a good idea of whats gonna snap this front like a toothpick LOL.

I thought I would pick peoples brains on this and see if anyone has been running anything similar on the smaller axles and if they have had good or bad experiences with this.

If it works for you and you are aware of what can break then just wheel it with some good recovery gear and friends that can get you off the trail. If you are easy on it, it'll last longer than you think. My $.02.

Being that you're in Colorado, I'd have to say that you're just looking for trouble running that setup. The big problem is what Disciple mentioned, unless you regear to 5.13, you're gonna feel significant power loss and at that ratio, your pinion is going to be really really small and definitely a breaking point, especially for the kind of trails you have out there. If there is an upside, your 200mm will not have c-clips the way the old D35 had. Me personally, I say to try and mod within your means but then, that's just me.

Also, you really should rethink the Patagonia's. They are without question, the WORST tires I have ever seen on and off road. Horrible to balance and don't hook for for anything, especially on wet or muddy rocks.

Top Bottom