37” tires

LOL - guess this thread took on a life all its own :crazyeyes:

All I can say is that STT Pros are MT's. If you want a tire that handles a lot better on slick surfaces, you really need to run a set of AT's. Me, I prefer Duratracs for maximum traction on the slick stuff. Also, I've now run multiple sets of these tires and I can't say that I've ever had any chunking or balancing issues. If I had, I can assure you that you would know. That being said, that's just me and clearly, there are others out there who have experienced otherwise. On the trail, I would still say they hook up better than Trail Grapplers and I personally wouldn't hesitate to run them again. :cool:

Hit the nail right on the head here. Living in Utah we see a couple big snow storms but they are usually cleared out within a day or two so I just suck it up in the slick stuff.

And they do hook up better off-road than pretty much everything else I’ve seen and ran. I’m hoping that this current set is just an anomaly and, to be fair the rings on my ATX wheels are beat to shit so I’m going to attribute some of the balancing issues to my wheels.

This current set is nearly brand new and to be honest, I’ve only tried to balance them once. They are due for a rotate so I’m going to have different shop do it and hope they come out better. My last set lasted well over 35,000 miles and the only reason I replaced them was because I had two with holes near the shoulder and a plug or patch just wouldn’t hold. But they still had close to 50% life left.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Hit the nail right on the head here. Living in Utah we see a couple big snow storms but they are usually cleared out within a day or two so I just suck it up in the slick stuff.

And they do hook up better off-road than pretty much everything else I’ve seen and ran. I’m hoping that this current set is just an anomaly and, to be fair the rings on my ATX wheels are beat to shit so I’m going to attribute some of the balancing issues to my wheels.

This current set is nearly brand new and to be honest, I’ve only tried to balance them once. They are due for a rotate so I’m going to have different shop do it and hope they come out better. My last set lasted well over 35,000 miles and the only reason I replaced them was because I had two with holes near the shoulder and a plug or patch just wouldn’t hold. But they still had close to 50% life left.

Your rings are not playing a part in the balancing issues. If they are that bad why not just bring them back to who you bought them from or contact cooper? Bitching about it on a forum won’t do anything to fix it and that amount of weight is not normal for a tire.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Your rings are not playing a part in the balancing issues. If they are that bad why not just bring them back to who you bought them from or contact cooper? Bitching about it on a forum won’t do anything to fix it and that amount of weight is not normal for a tire.

Just made the comment about my wheels because I felt just blaming a tire that had been good for me in the past and not at least mentioning a possible outside cause would be unfair. But good to know about the rings not being an issue.

Didn’t mean to come off as bitching about them, just wanted to provide my experience and be as objective as possible.

Could also have been the machine they were trying to balance them on as well.

I did contact cooper on multiple occasions and got crickets so I just let it go.

Ddays

Hooked
LOL - guess this thread took on a life all its own :crazyeyes:

All I can say is that STT Pros are MT's. If you want a tire that handles a lot better on slick surfaces, you really need to run a set of AT's. Me, I prefer Duratracs for maximum traction on the slick stuff. Also, I've now run multiple sets of these tires and I can't say that I've ever had any chunking or balancing issues. If I had, I can assure you that you would know. That being said, that's just me and clearly, there are others out there who have experienced otherwise. On the trail, I would still say they hook up better than Trail Grapplers and I personally wouldn't hesitate to run them again. :cool:

Have you noticed any difference between the 37's and 40's?

My 37's have been gold. They've got well over 50k miles on them and have plenty of tread left. Only reason for a new set now is I want new tires on my new wheels for the upcoming season.

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
You guys are pussies if you thought that was too hard. A little bit more beer would have made it easier, but what did you expect?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

lol relax . Just observation that it took a lot of elbow grease. What I expected was that it would be hard .. given reputation of the tires to be a bitch to mount . What id like to try next is if it’s substantially easier to mount another tire like a Nitto or a Toyo .

Beer makes everything easier

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

SLO

I just wish Trail Grapplers weren’t so damn heavy. I loved my 37” TG’s but haven’t had any issues with my 40” STT Pro’s. Both driven a lot in the wet NW.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
I just wish Trail Grapplers weren’t so damn heavy. I loved my 37” TG’s but haven’t had any issues with my 40” STT Pro’s. Both driven a lot in the wet NW.

They are a heavy tire. I mounted mine to bead locks in my garage over the weekend. It wasn’t fun. The Trail Grapplers are a nice tire though.

I just got my Coopers a month ago and have only put a hundred miles or so on them. First impression I love them. I've ran Nitto and Toyo before and both of them had radial pull. Drove me crazy. The Cooper's needed no weight to balance. My Toyo's did better in water than the Nitto's. Haven't drove the Coopers in the rain yet.

Primo82

Caught the Bug
I’m not trying to bad mouth them at all especially since they are still pretty new to me and they have been great off road. Maybe it’s just me but I’ve been noticing it more and more.

Maybe someone else can chime in on it.

Just curious, how many miles do you have on the tires? Brand new tires typically will have a coat of wax on them, I think it's a preservative for the rubber. I'm wondering if you haven't quite worn all that off?

I'd forgotten about that fact until I bought my jeep last fall, it came stock with KO2s. It was cold and dry and I was spinning out pretty much every time I took off. I had to be really light on the throttle the first couple thousand miles before the rear would really connect. The front was still pretty fishy until I finally rotated the back tires. 15k miles later and they're worn in nicely and I haven't noticed issues with slippage.

Anyways, wondering if that may be part of your issue.

Angry Aussie

Just curious, how many miles do you have on the tires? Brand new tires typically will have a coat of wax on them, I think it's a preservative for the rubber. I'm wondering if you haven't quite worn all that off?

I'd forgotten about that fact until I bought my jeep last fall, it came stock with KO2s. It was cold and dry and I was spinning out pretty much every time I took off. I had to be really light on the throttle the first couple thousand miles before the rear would really connect. The front was still pretty fishy until I finally rotated the back tires. 15k miles later and they're worn in nicely and I haven't noticed issues with slippage.

Anyways, wondering if that may be part of your issue.

Have about 5000 miles on them with 5 wheeling trips on the rocks with them. I doubt that’s what’s happening.

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
Has anyone ran the Mickey Tompson Baja Boss tires before? What are your thoughts?

MericaMade

To be fair I’ve been running coopers now for 3 years and I just installed my second set about 5000 miles ago... they will be my last. I love how they perform but they balance like shit... or at least this set has. I’ll be going back to Nitto

Since you have had both are the Nitto 37's heavier then the Coopers? And which one is a closer to a true 37?

Top Bottom