35's on JLU Sport

JohnsJLURubi

Hi, I put some 35's on my JLU sport, 2019. Looks cool. I have a question about the new and improved...steering. It feels very squishy, any thoughts on this? What do i need to do to tighten it back up? I under stand the new weight of the wheels was probably not meant for the stock suspension, but wanted to know what do I upgrade to firm up the steering. Thanks in advance!

I would start with checking your steering box as you may have the aluminum one that had a recall. They were flexing on the frame causing steering issues. We have also been seeing a lot of pre-mature failure in some of the factory steering links causing some "play" and almost the feeling of pre-death wobble. You can absolutely start with checking all of your steering hardware to make sure they are all tight to spec before throwing money at it. But I would definitely look into your steering box. One more thing that really helps when checking everything, with the vehicle on the ground and on its own weight, have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth as you watch everything to spot any movement in joints/track bars where there shouldn't be. Hope this helps!

This is great help. i will double check. I did have a steering damper issue, was getting the death wobble. After they told me the steering damper was at fault and they replaced it, i looked up the recalls and see that my steering damper was recalled and replaced a year earlier! I guess i got the sunshine treatment.

This is great help. i will double check. I did have a steering damper issue, was getting the death wobble. After they told me the steering damper was at fault and they replaced it, i looked up the recalls and see that my steering damper was recalled and replaced a year earlier! I guess i got the sunshine treatment.
Glad it's better but will say that more than likely you have another issue somewhere else that was causing the death wobble. You should be able to drive your Jeep down the road without one completely. But glad we could help! Keep us posted on what you find.

The stock dampers work great but I don’t think they last very long. Put a new one on less than a year ago and I need a new one now. Of course, they are on National back order.

Disciple is right. A steering damper may mask symptoms of the DWs, but doesn’t fix anything.

The steering of my 2012 felt slow after installing 35s. Inspecting the steering damper showed it was overly stiff with age. The steering now feels much lighter with the damper removed.

Top Bottom