35" tires on factory Dana 30 axle (non rubicon)

Just clearance I think. Like I said, with 35s, I would at the very least gusset your Cs. Gearing is another issue and it really depends on you and what motor you have.

andrew -

I just have the factory 3.8 minivan motor, is it even worth the effort to go up an inch or so? I mean we r talking a good chunk of pocket change to gain 1 inch.... 😕

Well no, but is any of it really worth it? :D. I can tell you if you go 35s you will want 37s, soooooooooooo maybe stick with you 33s until you have a 44 up front that you can beat on a bit more . Or you can be like me and run 37s on your 30 and just understand it is gonna break. But I am gonna get my monies worth out of it!

If you do go 35s though, you will want yourself some 4.88s

andrew -

Dave_g

Well no, but is any of it really worth it? :D. I can tell you if you go 35s you will want 37s, soooooooooooo maybe stick with you 33s until you have a 44 up front that you can beat on a bit more . Or you can be like me and run 37s on your 30 and just understand it is gonna break. But I am gonna get my monies worth out of it!

If you do go 35s though, you will want yourself some 4.88s

andrew -

You are so right... I got 35's (315's so really 34.5's) and I am already lookin for 37's i'll be ready for them when my tires get a little worn out for sure.

I am not sure the 4.88s are weak in a front 44. I know that the 5.13 is supposed to be weak in a 30 but have not heard terrible things about 4.88s in a 30. I have 5.13s and get really good mpg (all relative I guess) with my 37s, but again it is a 30 and not going to last. I can't lock the front for that would ensure early retirement of said 30. So until I find a 44 that someone is willing to give up, I will wheel with what I have and take my chances....

andrew -

wow 37's on a 30... u wheel it hard / often? i guess i will just ride out these 33's and when they are worn i will either buy a dana 44 or if a good deal for a dana 44 comes up i will up size to 35's early. anyone had experience with the Mopar dana 44 for the Jeep J8? its on Quadratec as a complete axle for a JK?

Well they r km2s so they are 36.5s, but yes I do...

I wheel slow.... not too terribly hard.... just enough to have fun! I know my limits!

andrew -

it just depends where i am if i go slow or really open it up. i ripped a shock off at KOH going across the lake bed at like 60mph....:rock:, but i like the slow stuff sometimes more because it is more technical and i dont break as much.... well i am in vegas this weekend but we should set up a run here soon. i have yet to do a run with any other JK's or anyone from the forum and would like to meet some fellow jeepers. my only wheeling buddy i have has a stock (on mud tire) 06 TJ rubicon, so i could use some more wheeling buddies.

The lakebed will do that..... we were out there for new years and I had to fight the urge to fly across it myself. Just did Cleghorn last weekend, nice trail, not too terribly difficult. I know there are some trails up by you in the gorman area. I know rubicrawl wants to set something up too.

andrew -

ya i am always up for a Gorman trip! the more jeeps the better as far as I'm concerned. how was cleghorn? i was gonna jump in on that trip but i spent the weekend doing trial and error flexing and adjusting clearance issue (im still having) with my new lift, but will hopefully be cured once my Currie antirocks arrive with longer brake lines... hard lines hit tire at flex and full turn lock and push into remote resivoir.... so i decided not to come out to cleghorn

Cleghorn was a good time. Some technical fun without getting too crazy.

Let's put something together. Gorman is a bit less technical yes, so it might be easier on your flex woes for the time being ?

andrew -

StrizzyChris

All this made me put out a wanted ad for a stock Rubi front 44.

andrew -

Just to be clear...a Rubi D44 is nice, but it has the same inner c's and axle tubes. The axle shaft is slightly larger with a higher spline count, and the R&P is larger...but other than that it still has some of the same limitations.

Is it worth an upgrade? At the right price I would say yes. Will it solve all of your problems? Nope!

With a stock D44 front, you will still need to spend the cash on the re-gear ($400). You'll still want to gusset($50). If your wanting increased strength, then you'll want to upgrade your axle shafts and to really provide great strength you'll want something like an ARB locker front and rear($2000) to accept those 35 spline upgraded shafts($1000-1500). If you add up all those costs, on top of the purchase price of the front axle itself($2000-2500), and your looking at a pretty penny! (costs are estimates +/- and not including installation if you plan to have others do the work for you).

those prices are good to know thank you! at that i will stick with 33's unless something comes up... a 44 would still be nice if it came with gearing not 3.73's but time will tell,

i should be getting my antirocks anytime now, they were backordered but currie said they came in and should be shipped this week :thumb: so my problems will be fixed. see who you can gather up for a run and keep me posted for a date and i will be there., are you planning to go to the CORVA poker run this month in Gorman? i am undecided due to lack of wheeling friends. might be to many people for a fun run but idk... anyways let me know what u come up with and i cant wait to be there!

steven

Well thank you Strizz for bursting my bubble! :banghead::banghead:

I know, and hopefully by the time it happens I will just throw a PR up in that bitch... but I can hope someone just wants to rid themselves of their extra d44 trash about their garage for a nice price that will make it worth it. I wouldnt get all crazy with a stock 44 anyways as I know they still have limits. The stock 44 would just make me feel better. But that being said, don't 60s break? If I can wheel a 30 without breaking it, I think it will teach me to keep my sh*t from breaking and allow me to keep a 44 a bit longer... a man can dream can't he???

andrew -

Dave_g

I was up at Gorman in December, everything was very easy

ForumRunner_20130306_222741.png

ForumRunner_20130306_223600.png

ForumRunner_20130306_223616.png

ForumRunner_20130306_223646.png

ForumRunner_20130306_223730.png
Vic's Cat was a little trickey from the mud on the switch backs, but every thing else was cake, no lockers required. When I was up there the Jeep training area was not maintained because it was out oxf season and all the rocks were at the bottom of the hill. Oh and the "mock little sluice" is still hard as shit. Don't think they got the word it got leveled.

thats a nice 2 door Jk sir. gorman is fun but i do most of it in 2wd (season based) i only run nto a couple spots on miller where i actually need 4wd. but it is still a fun area with lots of trails and open areas to throttle down, i was in gorman in january and did vics in 2d actually but it was still fun and i really need to put this new setup i am almost finished with to the test.

btw are you going to join us on this fun run we are going to put together?

StrizzyChris

those prices are good to know thank you! at that i will stick with 33's unless something comes up... a 44 would still be nice if it came with gearing not 3.73's but time will tell

all are rough retail prices, but a good barometer to guage against for estimated costs. sales will get you far though! :thumb: And I wouldnt fear 35's...they are a great mix of BIG but not so big as to run so many break threats. I would(will very soon) feel safe running 35's with just c-gussets and call it a day!

Well thank you Strizz for bursting my bubble! :banghead::banghead:

I know, and hopefully by the time it happens I will just throw a PR up in that bitch... but I can hope someone just wants to rid themselves of their extra d44 trash about their garage for a nice price that will make it worth it. I wouldnt get all crazy with a stock 44 anyways as I know they still have limits. The stock 44 would just make me feel better. But that being said, don't 60s break? If I can wheel a 30 without breaking it, I think it will teach me to keep my sh*t from breaking and allow me to keep a 44 a bit longer... a man can dream can't he???

HAHA not my intent to burst, just food for thought. ;) And yes a D60, especially a semi-float rear 60, can break as well. Not nearly in the rhelm of likelyhood, but still possible. Just keep an eye open for someone looking to jump to 60's that has already installed c's, regeared, and upgraded shafts that are willing to sell ffor a great price and you'll be good. Otherwise, like you mentioned, I would save those penny's for a PR44 than a stock 44 at those prices!

xflstl

In an earlier post you said you wheel hard, everyone has there opinion on what a D30 / D44 and so on can handle, same as they have there own opinion on what wheeling hard means. You will hear people tell you "I have been wheeling 37's on stock D44's for 3 years and never broke a thing!!!

Well I am hear to tell you different, I wheeled 33's then 37's on rubi 44's. I broke thing's with both setups. Mostly u-joints with the 33's, when I went to 37's, I sleeved, C Gusset, and got RCV front shafts, and alloy rears. I new I wasnt bullet proof, but new my axles were built about as well as they could be for D44's.. Then this happened.

image.jpg

Snapped a rear pinion, which destroyed the ring gear, carrier and e-locker.

So Honestly if you truley wheel hard?? Stay with the setup you got, save up and plan to go strait to 60's, then do your tire upgrade to 35/37/40's whatever.... Just know that no matter how well you build it, there is always a weak link. You decide what that is by how you build it. Hind sight being 20/20 and all, I wish I could go back and have left my stock rear shafts in my 44. I might have well broken a shaft that day instead of the R&P..... Just my :twocents:, worst case you will figure it out thru trial & error like me :)

Top Bottom