315 on stock rack for a while? Also, what rear tire carrier to keep factor hitch?

Flynlo

It always amazes me when people invest in a Jeep, invest their hard earned money on the wheels, tires and lift they want, and are perfectly fine with hanging cheap built Teraflex or Smittybilt Chinese crap off their rigs. Me, personally, I'm not putting cheap Chinese crap on the most iconic American vehicle made (where I have a choice). There are so many good American companies like JCR, Genright, EVO MFG, Crawler Concepts, Full Metal Fabworks, Poison Spyder, etc. Hell, isn't the ORFab swing away tire carrier around the same price as the TF supposed "HD" carrier? Not even in the same league as far as I am concerned. If you can, but quality American parts and buy once folks!! Sorry for the rant!

Sometimes people don't have a lot of money left after buying the Jeep in the first place. These rigs are expensive for what they are and the components for them are equally so because of the hype and demand for the market. Some stuff is expensive just because it's marketed for a Jeep JK. Also, depending on the characteristics of the tire carrier you're shopping for, your options can be extremely limited. If you want your carrier to be a directly replacement for your hinges without having to modify the factory hinges you're pretty much limited to the Teraflex or Smitty hinge and carrier. If you want a one-handed operation (for opening and closing the tailgate) and don't want a rear bumper your limited again to the Crawler Conceptz, AEV, Maximus-3 and Smitty makes one for that too. If you're okay with a two step opening and closing system then you have more options. We decide the options available to us based on our requirements.

It's also funny that you mention putting cheap crap on an expensive vehicle. You've heard about the gold-plated Lamborghini's and other exotic cars in Dubai. They're covered in vinyl. So few are actually painted. There are $500,000 super cars running around Dubai with $400 worth of gold vinyl covering them. Kinda ironic.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Sometimes people don't have a lot of money left after buying the Jeep in the first place. These rigs are expensive for what they are and the components for them are equally so because of the hype and demand for the market. Some stuff is expensive just because it's marketed for a Jeep JK. Also, depending on the characteristics of the tire carrier you're shopping for, your options can be extremely limited. If you want your carrier to be a directly replacement for your hinges without having to modify the factory hinges you're pretty much limited to the Teraflex or Smitty hinge and carrier. If you want a one-handed operation (for opening and closing the tailgate) and don't want a rear bumper your limited again to the Crawler Conceptz, AEV, Maximus-3 and Smitty makes one for that too. If you're okay with a two step opening and closing system then you have more options. We decide the options available to us based on our requirements.

It's also funny that you mention putting cheap crap on an expensive vehicle. You've heard about the gold-plated Lamborghini's and other exotic cars in Dubai. They're covered in vinyl. So few are actually painted. There are $500,000 super cars running around Dubai with $400 worth of gold vinyl covering them. Kinda ironic.

While I certainly understand that building a Jeep is not cheap, in cases such as this, you really do get more out of a good, American made quality product. With that said, the OP inquired about the TF tire carrier, which is neither quality nor affordable. There are several good American made products out there close to that price range. Smittybilt, another Chinese crap Trans America company, is not a viable option as a replacement for another crap Chinese product. As mentioned to the OP several times, he would be better off with some Daystar tailgate bumps stops and his stock carrier. Not trying to argue with you, as I do see your point. I'm just pointing out that there are several options the OP can consider before paying for cheap stuff they will ultimately be unhappy with and have to pay more money to replace. A tire carrier holding a 125-150 lb tire is not anywhere close to the same thing as vinyl wrap IMO. One thing I have learned is buy quality once, even if it means waiting longer to get what you want or need.

hawklee

315 on stock rack for a while? Also, what rear tire carrier to keep factor h...

How about the Smittybuilt to replace factory carrier. I just bought one for my JK and was told it would work with factory bumper and hitch but haven't gotten my 35s yet so haven't installed.
I think it was $120 ish on Amazon

Last edited:

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
How about the Smittybuilt to replace factory carrier. I just bought one for my JK and was told it would work with factory bumper and hitch but haven't gotten my 35s yet so haven't installed.

Good question about the factory bumper. Myself and quite a few on here run 35s on the stock carrier with tailgate bump stops and have had no issues. I am running the EVO rear facia though, so I am not sure if even that would work with the stock rear bumper. Hopefully someone running that setup can chime in, I'm curious now as well!

CrazyTrainJK

Caught the Bug
I was looking to keep my factory hitch also and found the Body Armor rear bumper and carrier. I love it. No rattles and very sturdy. Also got a great deal on it. Bumper and Carrier for $660 :thumb:
IMG_3332.jpg

zimm

Caught the Bug
While I certainly understand that building a Jeep is not cheap, in cases such as this, you really do get more out of a good, American made quality product. With that said, the OP inquired about the TF tire carrier, which is neither quality nor affordable. There are several good American made products out there close to that price range. Smittybilt, another Chinese crap Trans America company, is not a viable option as a replacement for another crap Chinese product. As mentioned to the OP several times, he would be better off with some Daystar tailgate bumps stops and his stock carrier. Not trying to argue with you, as I do see your point. I'm just pointing out that there are several options the OP can consider before paying for cheap stuff they will ultimately be unhappy with and have to pay more money to replace. A tire carrier holding a 125-150 lb tire is not anywhere close to the same thing as vinyl wrap IMO. One thing I have learned is buy quality once, even if it means waiting longer to get what you want or need.

I hear you on the Chinese stuff, but I gave up long ago trying to avoid it. Face it, everything is made in China. You think our Fiat owned Jeeps are 100% american made? ha! I'm typing this on my "designed in california" but made in China apple macbook. Damn near every aftermarket wheel (even AEV) is made in china. I'm okay with something chinese as long as it works as its supposed to.

Now I'd love to buy a sweet US made bumper, but since I dropped $41,000 on a this jeep last week, $1200 on a rockkrawler lift a few hours ago, about to buy $1700 worth of goodyear duratracs, and probably $1300 in AEV wheels, I don't have much to spend on avoiding my tailgate getting destroyed or my spare bouncing down the highway.

I did read that TF "fixed" the carrier to avoid the cracking that a few had with the tire carrier portion. I haven't found anyone who broke the hinge part.

And before anyone tries to bash me as un-american, I've been in the US Navy for 18 years now so don't even try.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I hear you on the Chinese stuff, but I gave up long ago trying to avoid it. Face it, everything is made in China. You think our Fiat owned Jeeps are 100% american made? ha! I'm typing this on my "designed in california" but made in China apple macbook. Damn near every aftermarket wheel (even AEV) is made in china. I'm okay with something chinese as long as it works as its supposed to.

Now I'd love to buy a sweet US made bumper, but since I dropped $41,000 on a this jeep last week, $1200 on a rockkrawler lift a few hours ago, about to buy $1700 worth of goodyear duratracs, and probably $1300 in AEV wheels, I don't have much to spend on avoiding my tailgate getting destroyed or my spare bouncing down the highway.

I did read that TF "fixed" the carrier to avoid the cracking that a few had with the tire carrier portion. I haven't found anyone who broke the hinge part.

And before anyone tries to bash me as un-american, I've been in the US Navy for 18 years now so don't even try.

No one questioned your patriotism. It's your Jeep, you are free to do what you want to do to it.

Jkratt

I have had the Teraflex Hinged Tire Carrier on for almost a year with a 35. I read all the issues, but I believe they addresses them some time ago. I love the simplistic operation and the fact that I can still use the tailgate as designed.

Prior to using the Teraflex I had rattles and creaks that made me think I was destroying the factory tailgate with the 35 inch tire. Now, not a peep from the back of the jeep.

Not having a tire carrier and bumper attached together gives me the freedom to pick what bumper I want. I know this site does not seem to be a fan of Teraflex, but I have had no negative issues.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug

lol, last time I checked I wasn't bashing anyone as Un-American, as if that even has anything to do with the quality of a product. Most US made Jeep parts have a higher quality control than cheap Chinese parts endure. Just a simple fact. A tire carrier holding a 125-150 lb tire is not a MacBook, so in my opinion that's a silly comparison. We are discussing Jeep parts here. Also, if you read my post thoroughly, I said that I buy American where I can. I realize that the Wrangler is not 100% made in the US. I never said anything about that either. To say everything is made in China is just silly. My EVO MFG sliders and parts, JKS suspension, FMF bumper, trek Armor stuff, BFGs, etc. all 100% made in the USA baby. To me it has to do with good quality products, which in this case means US made stuff. I personally don't care if they 'fixed' the issue, it's still a crap Chinese part. I refuse to trust a company with that kind of equipment who have issues like that, then blame the consumer instead of concentrating on fixing the problem. In my opinion, they could make one of unobtanium and unicorn tears and I still wouldn't trust a company like that. Especially when there are so many good, US made products in the same price range or slightly more. And that's all this is, just my opinion. If people want to spend their hard earned money on cheap Chinese stuff and they are happy with it, great for them. I stated I would never do that and I don't get why people would choose them over a good US made part when they can. I will never apologize for buying US made stuff, even if it costs me a premium. Again, not trying to argue here, but there are good US made things in the same price range as the Chinese crap, as I mentioned earlier to the OP who asked about a specific part.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
and probably $1300 in AEV wheel.

Also, just a heads up, but AEV pintler wheels had an issue with cracking a while back. May want to look into that and see if the issue has been resolved as well if those are the ones your looking at. I'd hate to see a fellow Jeeper have issues with a product that may have pre-existing problems. I ran some on my Jeep for a while and didn't have any issues, but I never wheeled it hard while they were on there either. Hopefully they have resolved it by now.

Shantz

Saving up for this bad boy... opens with the door... perfect for me.... Expedition One.

Attachments

• 1445905935648.jpg
    1445905935648.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:

JudeinPa

Speaking of rear tire carriers….has anyone used or any thoughts on the HighRock 4x4™ Oversize Tire Carrier by Bestop? They claim it can carry a 37" 200 lb. tire.

Flynlo

I just went back to the Crawler Conceptz website and they now have a Highlift mounting option for their hinge mounted tire carrier :thumb:

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I have had the Teraflex Hinged Tire Carrier on for almost a year with a 35. I read all the issues, but I believe they addresses them some time ago. I love the simplistic operation and the fact that I can still use the tailgate as designed.

Prior to using the Teraflex I had rattles and creaks that made me think I was destroying the factory tailgate with the 35 inch tire. Now, not a peep from the back of the jeep.

Not having a tire carrier and bumper attached together gives me the freedom to pick what bumper I want. I know this site does not seem to be a fan of Teraflex, but I have had no negative issues.

Has nothing to do with this site not being a fan. Is a shitty tire carrier. It's not even a carrier, over priced hinge with a cheap stamped piece of shit carrier. But hey, you're happy

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I know a few of us, including myself ran TF lifts and other parts, its not that we are not fans, we do not like to support poorly built products that can break and kill people, especially from a company who doesnt own up to mistakes and blames it all on "user install error"

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

And, when you were running your 35" spare on your factory tire carrier, did you make sure that the isolators were pressing firmly against the sidewall LIKE THEY NEED TO BE? Because I ran that exact same setup for over a year only I made sure to do that and what do you know, not a peep from the back of the Jeep.

I know this site does not seem to be a fan of Teraflex, but I have had no negative issues.

:cheesy: You're right, I am not a fan of a company that sells inferior products that I have seen fail time and time again and when it happens, they BLAME the customer for it. Didn't realize it was such a horrible thing to try and help others who might be shopping for a product to inform them of what I have personally seen over and over again. Certainly, I'd want to know but then, that's just me.

rsmwrangler

I think it was $120 ish on Amazon

I'm running one until i can afford to shell out $1500-$1600 rear bumper with a tire carrier along with a heavier tire , and have had no issues with it, paid $129 for it, and it's years light better than the Pepsi can thin shaped factory tire carrier piece of $hit. I'm hanging a BFG 285/70/17 back there, just a baby tire that is probably 58lbs or so heavy, the wheel is around 25lbs, so i'm just couple of pounds heavier than a factory 18" Jeep wheel/tire, the way the spare is supported is better than stock, especially if you're running an aftermarket wheel with non-factory backspace, i prefer my chinese POS carrier than the factory one made in a 3rd world country or who knows where Chrysler is outsourcing the part from, with extended bumpstops. i'll probably use it with a 35 tops that it wasn't very heavy temporarily, but for anything heavier than 95-100lbsor so, i'll make the investment to something better, more likely a tire carrier mounted in the bumper from LoD, Poison Spyder, etc. The SB carrier weights around 25lbs, the factory one is like 2lb total weight, lol seriously, i can't think why someone will say that thing with extended bumpstops is worth anything, the factory piece is not worth its weight filled up with cow $hit in a plastic bucket, take it off and touch that thing out with your hands for crying out loud, you could probably break it just staring at it, i couldn't believe it until i had it in my hands :icon_crazy:
I think the TF unit is too expensive for what is, and ultimately a bumper with the tire carrier is a better way to go, i can't justify the investment just yet and the reason i have this mount for now, it works extremely good for that it cost compared to stock, but again, my wheel/tire combo is around 80lbs.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
i can't think why someone will say that thing with extended bumpstops is worth anything, the factory piece is not worth its weight filled up with cow $hit in a plastic bucket, take it off and touch that thing out with your hands for crying out loud, you could probably break it just staring at it, i couldn't believe it until i had it in my hands :icon_crazy:

You can't think of why someone would say that because you have NO experience running that setup. The most you can do is make assumptions about things you don't understand like what the factory tire carrier is actually made of and have beliefs as to how easily it can be broken without having any evidence to prove as much. Of course, "belief" is after all, "having faith in that which you cannot see".

Top Bottom