305 vs 285

JWasko

Caught the Bug
2018 JLU 6sp MT Sport S - 2 inch spacer lift. Looking at and going back and forth on the age old question of what upgraded tire size would be the ideal size without immediately regretting said choice. The 285 is the obvious and what I've seen most often selected, such as what was put on Pippi. Is going up marginally to a 305 worth the extra coin? Or once you're looking at a 305, should one just bite the bullet and go with a 315? Tire weight was only a couple pounds different on a Nitto Ridge Grapper, and the cost between the two wasn't much on Discount Tire as well.

JWasko

Caught the Bug
Appreciate the feedback. With the small difference in price along with they’ll be on there a long time due to not putting a lot of miles on them the 35’s are probably the best bet.

Upvote 0

TrailHunter

Hooked
Appreciate the feedback. With the small difference in price along with they’ll be on there a long time due to not putting a lot of miles on them the 35’s are probably the best bet.

Keep in mind.. not all 35’s are the same size either… Nitto Trail Grapplers are and look bigger than a BFG or Cooper…

Upvote 0

JWasko

Caught the Bug
Keep in mind.. not all 35’s are the same size either… Nitto Trail Grapplers are and look bigger than a BFG or Cooper…
That does appear to be the case as those 33's Eddie put on Pippi looked bigger than the K02's I had on my old pickup. Will definitely need some spacers running stock wheels.

Upvote 0

Billy Joe

We have close to the same jeep set-up. I'm running 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers, 2 inch spacer lift, high clearance fenders and synergy 1.75 wheel spacers on stock Sport wheels. No issues rubbing, so far. Some things to consider, speedometer(tire size) recalibration and possibly re-gearing. This is just my experience.

Upvote 0

JWasko

Caught the Bug
We have close to the same jeep set-up. I'm running 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers, 2 inch spacer lift, high clearance fenders and synergy 1.75 wheel spacers on stock Sport wheels. No issues rubbing, so far. Some things to consider, speedometer(tire size) recalibration and possibly re-gearing. This is just my experience.
What’s your experience with the Nittos in winter conditions? Fresh and or packed snow, slush, etc. Living here in the Midwest has me second guessing if I should roll with the KO2s.

Upvote 0

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
2018 JLU 6sp MT Sport S - 2 inch spacer lift. Looking at and going back and forth on the age old question of what upgraded tire size would be the ideal size without immediately regretting said choice. The 285 is the obvious and what I've seen most often selected, such as what was put on Pippi. Is going up marginally to a 305 worth the extra coin? Or once you're looking at a 305, should one just bite the bullet and go with a 315? Tire weight was only a couple pounds different on a Nitto Ridge Grapper, and the cost between the two wasn't much on Discount Tire as well.
I think it needs to be pointed out that 285 and 305 are just the width of the tire. What you need to be looking at is the second number, the 65, 70 or 75 etc as that would be the percent of the width that makes up the sidewall height. As in, it will help to determine just how TALL the tire will be. In other words, a 285/70 will be a smaller tire than a 285/75. Does that make sense?

That said, with a 2" lift, I might recommend looking at a 315/75 or 35" tire as others have said as it will fit and work well with that amount of lift.

Upvote 0

Billy Joe

What’s your experience with the Nittos in winter conditions? Fresh and or packed snow, slush, etc. Living here in the Midwest has me second guessing if I should roll with the KO2s.
Good question. I don't have any experience with these in snow, we really just don't get any here in the south. I know they perform well in mud. That being said, I would definitely get others opinions of them in snow.

Upvote 0

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
More than the tire type, I think you'll find that the traction control on the JL is good enough that even a mud terrain will hook up well in the snow. Ice is about the only place where a good AT will do better due to the amount of siping they have.

Upvote 0
Top Bottom