3.6L Oil Filter/Cooler Adaptor Housing Replacement

StreetAndDirt

My job report

Well, I just did this replacement yesterday and today. This thread helped immensely!

It always takes me longer than is usually listed to do these jobs. I’m probably a bit to cautious. I had some hiccups but it took me a total of about 9 hours.

I wanted to share some of my struggles (while it’s still fresh in my mind) in the hope that it might help someone else.

First thing that was strange is when I opened the Pet cock to drain the radiator fluid I got absolutely nothing to come out:surprise: Next I messed around a bit figuring out how to not make a mess draining the fluid. I was able to setup a funnel just below the link between that small water pump hose (OP suggested removing this hose), then pull it apart and get most of the coolant coming out of both ends into a catch pan.

All the detailed steps and picture in the original post where AWESOME! :thumb:

I struggled a lot with getting connectors undone. It was super frustrating. I actually started questioning whether I should have just gone to the dealer, bet jeez... $1100!! I finally was able to get them by releasing the secondary lock, then push the connectors together firmly, then pull them away. :drama: The upper connector on the oil cooler still gave me some fits but I used a large blade screwdriver and gently pried a bit and it came loose.

I was concerned about removing the fuel line, but that turned out to be the easiest part of the process. It works just as described in the write up. Also, I saw some YouTube videos where the fuel bars and injectors were removed. I’M SO GLAD I DIDN’’T HAVE TO DO THAT!

The biggest pain for me, and it was my fault, was I rounded off one of the screw heads that holds the old oil cooler in place. Grrrrr! :banghead: the head is an E8 Torx (external torx). I’m not sure if it’s here or somewhere else I saw that you could use a 12 point 1/4” socket. Well, I only had 6 point sockets and it looked like it would work. I was able to get all but one off and that one stripped. I tried a vice grip on it without any luck. Finally went to the auto parts store and bought some bolt extractors, the smallest 1/4” one worked great. I tapped it down with a hammer first and it pulled the screw right out. Also, I bought an external torx set for the next time, and torquing the new oil filter on.

Mine appeared to be leaking for quite a while because there was quite a bit of sludge built up. Probably a mixture of oil and dirt collected over 7 years.

Thanks for this write up it made the job much, much easier!!

denvermatt

switch from old style oil cooler to new

Hey Guys,
I have an 2012 jk and since it sounds like you can switch out the oil cooler to the new style 2013- 2018 model. Does anyone have a part number for a good generic one. I can't afford the Mopar one so if Crown or Dorman makes one that would be great.

I'm new to the forum so I hope I'm putting this message in the right spot. Let me know if I'm not.

bpittman

Coolant Outlet Hose?

I am replacing my 2012 3.6 JK Oil Cooler Filter Adapter sometime this month due to a slow coolant leak coming down the posterior/side bell housing. I was able to track it down using UV Dye & a blue UV light. Did anyone replace the "Coolant Outlet Hose" that attaches to the oil cooler? Thanks

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I am replacing my 2012 3.6 JK Oil Cooler Filter Adapter sometime this month due to a slow coolant leak coming down the posterior/side bell housing. I was able to track it down using UV Dye & a blue UV light. Did anyone replace the "Coolant Outlet Hose" that attaches to the oil cooler? Thanks

It would be a bitch. Probably have to remove the battery tray. That would be the time to do it though.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BLReck

Cylinder Misfire after installation

NecessaryEvil,

Thanks for creating this write-up! Unfortunately, I'm running into some cylinder misfire issues after completing the installation and not to highjack this thread but I could really use some guidance.

Nothing noticeable as far as a rough idle and no CEL upon completion of the install. Drove to work right down the street in the morning and let the engine idle for about 30-45 minutes and noticed a very slight rough idle but no CEL. Next day getting off shift, the CEL popped up and I ran the code with the JSCAN app....P0304 and P0306 and a noticeably rough idle.

I replaced all 12 gaskets, spark plugs and ignition coils. I did disconnect the fuel rails (following youtube video before saw this thread) and had cylinder 6 fuel injector come out with it. There was some difficulty getting the injector back in place and lining up the other injectors on fuel rail on that side. I removed all three and lubed up the upper/lower o-rings and reseated each. Fuel injector and ignition coil connectors were confirmed to be snapped in tightly with no signs of wear or damage to the harness or wiring.

Driving around, my MPG sucks balls as expected. Dismantled the intake manifold to inspect a few days later and a pretty strong fuel odor on that side but no raw fuel. Checked the plugs and had plug 4 and 6 slightly saturated with fuel but nothing drowning. All of the injectors and wiring connectors were solidly in place. I swapped cylinder 1 and cylinder two plugs/coils with those from 4 and 6. Reassembled and let it run to operating temp....rough idle is still present and Jscan App picked up P0304 pending but no CEL so far. I'm sure its a matter of time as the Jeep is idling/vibrating the same.

Side note: I replaced both cats with AFE cat converters and all four new O2 sensors the night prior to the oil filter housing replacement. The LH cylinder head was replaced under warranty within 6 months of owning the Jeep in 2012.

Short of a leakdown and compression test.....i'm not entirely sure what other direction to go. It's kind of odd for this to pop up after the install but maybe shouldn't have dicked around with that fuel system.

Any guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated from those more experienced then myself. Thanks all!

Last edited:

RageKage

Extremely glad this write up was here!!!! I did this replacement about a month or less ago and because of this write up it was a breeze. So glad to not have oil leaking under the Jeep anymore. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

jpone

Do your spark plugs. It’s easy now with it all opened up.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Ya. For sure. Am also convinced to swap for the newer oil cooler. Mine's a 2012. Hoping its better quality and improved design. I've been thru two now.

First time it was oil side, this time coolant.

Otherwise been a great vehicle. Small price to pay I guess.

Thanks!

wjtstudios

Hooked
Ya. For sure. Am also convinced to swap for the newer oil cooler. Mine's a 2012. Hoping its better quality and improved design. I've been thru two now.

First time it was oil side, this time coolant.

Otherwise been a great vehicle. Small price to pay I guess.

Thanks!

It’s a pain, but at least you have the process down. How many miles do you have on it?

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Dondrumz

Thanks

Instructions were on point. I replaced the oil cooler and knock sensors since I had a CEL for it. I added new coolant in after and now I’m overheating and getting no heat in the cabin with the heater on. Any ideas?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Instructions were on point. I replaced the oil cooler and knock sensors since I had a CEL for it. I added new coolant in after and now I’m overheating and getting no heat in the cabin with the heater on. Any ideas?

More than likely have a ton of air in the cooling system. Double check your coolant level

AgBass01

Caught the Bug
Yup, sounds like you have air in the coolant system. Need to open radiator cap, start engine and turn the heater on full blast, let it run until the thermostat opens. Then you'll probably need to add more coolant and or water. Need to burp the system.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Bama J

I just replaced mine using this thread step by step. It went great. Just wanted to say THANK YOU for taking the time to create this excellent write up. The job wasn't as bad as i thought it would be, and this thread made it much easier. Again, thanks!

Big R

Oil filter cooler housing adapter replacement

Is the torque and sequence the same for all Jeep 3.6L? Own 2013 grand Cherokee 67k. Going to replace oil filter housing adapter soon.

Last edited:

Hilop

Caught the Bug
85k and everything was going smooth until I dropped a injector. 1st pic is of the dropped injector and second is the normal one. Do you guys think it needs to be replaced?
Thanks

Attachments

• 1CA63234-9B63-4655-AA12-91C22781DD77.jpg
    1CA63234-9B63-4655-AA12-91C22781DD77.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 99
  • B0E26AB3-D034-441E-9398-A0ED7F665679.jpg
    B0E26AB3-D034-441E-9398-A0ED7F665679.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 98

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
85k and everything was going smooth until I dropped a injector. 1st pic is of the dropped injector and second is the normal one. Do you guys think it needs to be replaced?
Thanks

I would replace it. Wouldn’t want to put it all back together and run into issues, then have to rip it all apart again.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Top Bottom