3.6 with Etorque or 3.0 ecodiesel or 392

Jackboeker83

I have read somewhere that the diesel comes with iron knuckles. If I am running 40s with 4.88 gears (thats what is recommended with the diesel), would I need an axle swap if I upgrade the shafts and regear. I know the age old debate about, well how do you drive vs what do you plan to do. The main things to break or go bad on the Dana 44 with 40s are the knuckles (I'll already have iron), axles and gears. With 4.88 being way thicker than 5.38 it should be a lot "safer" than the other route. We are talking about a 4k upgrade vs a 20k upgrade. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are. Am I off base?

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have read somewhere that the diesel comes with iron knuckles. If I am running 40s with 4.88 gears (thats what is recommended with the diesel), would I need an axle swap if I upgrade the shafts and regear. I know the age old debate about, well how do you drive vs what do you plan to do. The main things to break or go bad on the Dana 44 with 40s are the knuckles (I'll already have iron), axles and gears. With 4.88 being way thicker than 5.38 it should be a lot "safer" than the other route. We are talking about a 4k upgrade vs a 20k upgrade. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are. Am I off base?
LOL - Not sure who's been doing the recommending but even with a diesel, there's no way 4.88s will restore the power that you lose with 40's. I've driven a diesel with 42's and 5.38's and thought it was just 'okay' at best, especially on the highway. Sure, 4.88s will help but it'll be far from what you were feeling stock. As far as strength goes, I suppose it all depends on how you use your Jeep. I've seen plenty of breaks with 60's and 40's and with just a 3.8L. But hey, that's just me.

Brute

Hooked
For what you're wanting to do, I'd have to say start over with the diesel. I have driven/wheeled both and on rigs with 42's and there's no question that the diesel is better every which way you look at it. More power, better fuel economy and just better on the trail. I so wish it were available back when we bought our Gladiator as I really hate the performance of our 3.6L on our current setup. At this point, a V8 is definitely in the works - that or starting over with a diesel.

That said, I LOVE my 392 and to the point where I don't even want to mod mine in fear that anything I do will take away from how much fun it is to drive as is.
ditto...I can't believe how much I like the 392 stock...so now considering a diesel JT to go under the knife...

Jackboeker83

LOL - Not sure who's been doing the recommending but even with a diesel, there's no way 4.88s will restore the power that you lose with 40's. I've driven a diesel with 42's and 5.38's and thought it was just 'okay' at best, especially on the highway. Sure, 4.88s will help but it'll be far from what you were feeling stock. As far as strength goes, I suppose it all depends on how you use your Jeep. I've seen plenty of breaks with 60's and 40's and with just a 3.8L. But hey, that's just me.
Noted.... I guess I should link some of these other random forums in the Random Internet Shit you've come across post LOL. Thanks for the input.

Also Eddie.... God bless you man... you have to get tired of saying the same shit over and over. I see the comments on YT and here (this post) sometimes, its like a broken record. You must have this stuff written down so you can copy and paste it when you have to.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Noted.... I guess I should link some of these other random forums in the Random Internet Shit you've come across post LOL. Thanks for the input.
LOL - that won't be necessary. Since it was missed, I was being facetious. CLEARLY, you obtained your recommendations from other forums as that's where a LOT of bad and unexperienced information comes from. Or at least, from what I have seen.

Before the internet, the only place you could really learn things was out on the trail and making mistakes of your own.

Jackboeker83

LOL - that won't be necessary. Since it was missed, I was being facetious. CLEARLY, you obtained your recommendations from other forums as that's where a LOT of bad and unexperienced information comes from. Or at least, from what I have seen.

Before the internet, the only place you could really learn things was out on the trail and making mistakes of your own.
I thought we were speaking the same language (facetiousness)? LOL I was looking around this forum yesterday and found a post of crazy shit you see... must of been a different post besides the one I suggested but it had some funny fails and random crazyness about electric vehicles. Either way I knew exactly what you meant and understood 100%. I've been out of the Jeep game too long and its a ton to catch up on so I appreciate all the facetious and serious advice I can get.

Last edited:

Jackboeker83

Here it is... funny stuff

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I thought we were speaking the same language (facetiousness)? LOL I was looking around this forum yesterday and found a post of crazy shit you see... must of been a different post besides the one I suggested but it had some funny fails and random crazyness about electric vehicles. Either way I knew exactly what you meant and understood 100%. I've been out of the Jeep game too long and its a ton to catch up on so I appreciate all the facetious and serious advice I can get.
LOL got it 😁

Top Bottom