2021 JLUR shift t case into 4Low moving or stopped?

JR-G

I know the manual says to shift the t case when moving slightly and in neutral.
I know when I first had my jl that seemed to be the case.
The other day I tried shifting when fully stopped and it went in no problem.
What do others do and what works?
Also after I was in 4 low I had a bugger of a time to get back out, no matter moving or not.
Friend says that maybe because I was on pavement that the wheels couldn't slip.

CalSgt

Hooked
Getting mine in 4Lo was pretty difficult when it was new but since then I have bumped it in and out of low range several times while not moving. Every once in a while it doesn't want to disengage so I bump it back into drive get rolling then back to neutral and it will usually pop right out.

Same, tough at the beginning easy now. Needed to move in the beginning now it would rather me be stopped.

It used to pop out of low and into neutral all the time at the most inopportune time as well, not so much now.

jeeeep

Hooked
I shift it out of 2wd, stop shift into 4Lo then barely move and make sure it's all the way shifted into 4Lo

If I don't do the 2nd check into 4Lo it pops out on my 2018. Of course, the dealership service said no issue found

Bluman

I always wondered if I could just put it in 4lo while stopped and slip the clutch a bit and try again if the gears didn't mesh. I finally tried it in the snow yesterday and had no luck. I had to roll the car forward about a foot to get the xfer case to slot back into gear.

I shift it out of 2wd, stop shift into 4Lo then barely move and make sure it's all the way shifted into 4Lo

If I don't do the 2nd check into 4Lo it pops out on my 2018. Of course, the dealership service said no issue found
I’ve had it pop out of 4low in the middle of powering up a longish and pretty steep trail. Luckily I was in a spot where I could re-engage the transfer case. Other times it’s done it at the start of a climb into rocks. I’ll try your method to make sure it’s fully engaged.

I always wondered if I could just put it in 4lo while stopped and slip the clutch a bit and try again if the gears didn't mesh. I finally tried it in the snow yesterday and had no luck. I had to roll the car forward about a foot to get the xfer case to slot back into gear.
I get a little gear grind if I attempt it while moving.

Top Bottom