2017 Willys Wheeler JKU Silver Wolf

Cool, the red stitching is a nice touch. I'm so glad I didn't go with any of those neoprene seat covers out there.

Sent from Earth to Space and back...can ya give it a second!? WAYALIFE mobile app

Yea, it's not worth it. I first went with a neopreme seat cover vendor on ebay and returned it immediately because fitting looked horrible and quality looked terrible. The "buy once, cry once" saying for jeep owners really could not be any more true...

gheller

Both mods look great. Where'd you get the vent covers from?

Thank you. The vents are from aerodrome accessories dot com. The guy that runs the site is involved in some vintage aircraft game and has a laser etching machine to make game pieces. He also happens to have a Jeep and started using the machine to make custom accessories for his ride and ultimately began selling them on his site.

Sent from Earth to Space and back...can ya give it a second!? WAYALIFE mobile app

gheller

TrailRockers, MegaBlast Air horns

Thanks to the info here on WAYALIFE I ordered the TrailRockers from Painless Performance this past holiday season on a great Cyber Monday deal they had going. These have been sitting on my living room floor waiting for some good spring weather to install the kit. This kit looks top notch. The instruction book that comes with it is full of detailed steps and clear photos for each step of the install. I'm thinking it will be quick and "painless" for sure.

I'm likely going to go with the Daystar A pillar switch pod. I was considering the Painless switch panel that goes over the rear view mirror, but with my auto dimming mirror it has to be moved down almost another inch and I worry that the mirror will then become more of an obstruction of my view out the windshield. (the windshield isn't all that big to begin with).

I plan on having the TrailRockers handle a lightbar, rear bumper mounted flood lights and air horns. That will leave me some room for any future add ons.

Now the air horns...As soon as I took delivery of my Jeep in October, the only thing I didn't like about it were the stock horn. It sounds kinda weak but also you cant just give it a quick polite tap.
Being that most of my driving is through Urban street warfare here in Brooklyn, I feel like Silver Wolf needs a bit more bite. I didn't want to go all out with a train horn kit with tank and compressor, but definitely something more than any stock replacement horns available.

After a lot of research I decided on a direct drive compressor air horn kit, and in particular this one from MegaBlast. Its made by an Italian company (Herrera & Sons, aka HS) and features powder coated metal horns with dual direct drive compressors. They also have them in Chrome. There are many dual horn kits out there, mostly cheap Chinese stuff but Kleinn has a kit too but they all only come with one compressor to power both horns. This kit with two compressors is quite louder than the others. There is a YouTube video out there demonstrating these horns if you search MegaBlast air horns.

The kit comes with a good length of air line and two relays. The relays look cheap but the rest of the kit looks to be good and durable.

I will use the TrailRocker to power both compressors (two Trailrocker relays) tripped by one momentary switch.

I'll post some more pics once I get them installed and hopefully a good sound clip as well.

i-7FKXfk9-X2.jpg

i-XWsGJC7-X2.jpg

i-GSdgmCh-X2.jpg

i-j6qgGfK-X2.jpg

i-gvjd5TJ-X2.jpg

i-zCNZjMg-X2.jpg

i-6GZfrCD-X2.jpg

Last edited:

gheller

MOPAR EVTS, Electronic Vehicle Tracking System

When I ordered my JKU one of the new options for 2017 was the MOPAR EVTS (Electronic Vehicle Tracking System). Somehow, the factory never got to installing it and I had been back and forth with the dealership and a representative from Guide Point Systems (maker of the EVTS) to get it installed and resolved. My dealer was helpful and cooperative and the rep from Guide Point went above and beyond in trying to get it resolved. He also gave me a free year of Gold Package service for my troubles. (250.00 value)

The install was quick, and according to the tech at the dealer it was basically plug and play into the factories existing wire harness behind the dash.

So, since others might be considering this option, and that its likely to be an option on the JL as well I thought I'd just shed some light on it and what my feeling are about it thus far.

Basically, the device will track and locate your vehicle in the event that it gets stolen. If you find that your vehicle is stolen, you file a police report first, then contact Guide Point systems and provide them with the police report number. They contact the police and help them track the vehicle down. The system also comes with an "OnCall" button located on the dash (in my case under the steering wheel) that acts as a emergency help alert. If you were to breakdown somewhere or had an accident you could simply press the button and GuidePoint will call your cell within a minute or two to assist you, and of course they already know your location which is helpful.

If you don't answer your phone (for whatever reason such as no signal or your unable to reach it) they automatically contact the authorities in your vehicle area and send help. This is all included with the one time installation fee ( 495.00). The unit also has a battery to keep it working even if your vehicles battery is dead or disconnected.

Beyond the basic service and benefits of the system, there are two pay packages that provide additional features. A Silver and Gold package.

What I have been able to do with the Gold Package (Silver Package I believe has most of the same features) is to set up a VIP (Vehicle Impact Protection) alert which lets me know if the vehicle had been hit, bumped, glass broken, etc by way of an actual phone call by a GuidePoint rep. You can set the sensitivity of the VIP sensor as well. I tested it out by kicking the rock slider and slapping the A Pillar before I got in the Jeep, and within 1 minute I got the phone call telling me there was two impacts to the vehicle.

I also set up a perimeter fence around my location in a 5 block radius of where I usually park when home. If the Jeep moves out of that zone I get an alert on my iPhone. Works every time I drive off somewhere. You can also set up speed alerts. This is useful if you have your kids or family borrow your ride sometimes.

Another feature is a low voltage warning. If the Jeeps battery goes below a certain voltage (I think they said 10.5 volts) I get an alert. Good to know if I'm getting a dead battery before the moment I get in to start the Jeep to go to work or wherever.

The iPhone app allows me to activate or disable any of the alerts, adjust the sensitivity of the VIP and also lets me see exactly where I parked.

All in all, the system seems to work well. The app could be improved a bit but it works fine. I like to know that if I ever find myself stuck out in the middle of nowhere with no cell service, I can get assistance with the OnCall button.

I'd say its worthwhile having.

Last edited:

Eugene

...a free year of Gold Package service for my troubles. (250.00 value)

...all included with the one time installation fee ( 495.00).

...there are two pay packages that provide additional features. A Silver and Gold package.

You mentioned the Gold Package they comp'd you was "a $250 value." Would that be your actual annual cost for that package or $250/yr is retail pricing and you would really pay something less than that? ("The Gold Package is regularly $250 per year but, because you're such a valuable customer, I'm willing to discount that to $99 per year...")

The Mopar EVTS brochure covers what you get with Silver versus Gold but nothing about pricing.

gheller

Yes, the Gold Package costs 250.00/year. If I remember correctly the Silver costs 125.00.
The basic tracking service (With OnCall button included) has no annual fee.

MoxieMedic

Gheller we had talked about the Barricade front skid plate a while back. I finally got around to putting it on. It is definitely stout, thick and heavy. It was a challenge to put on but worth it to me. I like the amount of coverage it provides.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

gheller

Gheller we had talked about the Barricade front skid plate a while back. I finally got around to putting it on. It is definitely stout, thick and heavy. It was a challenge to put on but worth it to me. I like the amount of coverage it provides.

Great, any pics to see? I just wish they'd redesign the way it mounts.

gheller

That looks real nice. Do they provide the washers/spacers needed to keep the bumper mount flush with the skid plate?

I will likely go with that skid when my OEM air dam finally gives.

That's if I still have the Barricade bumper by then.

gheller

On another note, I like what you did with the lights. I've been thinking of adding round lights in the A pillar and on the bumper bar but the light bar on the bumper looks good too.

MoxieMedic

They provide thick washers with the kit, bolts and nuts too. I ended up staggering the "I" plate and washers to keep everything even. I have an assortment of extensions and wobbles which helped with the install. It bolts to the front frame with the lower bumper mounts, also to the cross member. There are 4 possible connections to the cross member; 2 from the rear with brackets on the skid plate, and 2 from the bottom of the bracket with holes in the skid plate. My cross member had a hole that worked well for the driver side of the bottom but the passenger side just wasn't working out. So it's bolted to the jeep in 5 of the possible 6 points.

I like my lights too. I can't afford the high quality ones right now but I'm not racing, I just need extra light at night. The round ones put out a lot of light, everywhere, they're not a focused beam like I hoped. The bar and rounds together give me what I need. I have 2 square pods that I'm going to wire up for reverse lights once I decide where to put them.

MoxieMedic

IMG_2366.JPG There is no visible gap between bumper and skid plate. You can see the hole I didn't put a bolt through. Even if I had drilled it I didn't like how it would end up with the washer and nut.

IMG_2367.JPG There is a front to back step but no actual gap.

IMG_2372.JPG Driver side bolt to cross member. You can see it sits snug against the cross member, I think of it as extra support.

IMG_2373.JPG It is super thick, more than the bumper.

IMG_2375.JPG This is how I tried to keep everything even.

IMG_2376.JPG This was the number one reason I bought this particular skid plate, to protect my electronic swaybar disconnect.

I hope this all came out, doing it from my phone. Bottom line I like it even though it's heavy and I think I taught the neighbors some new cuss words.

gheller

Looks good and thanks for the reference pics. I see on the site that they don't use the lower front crash bar bolts but rather just use a total of 4. The skid looks good and what I like most about it over others I've seen is that it covers a lot more.
If I don't wind up eventually going with a mid width or stubby bumper like the LoD signature series I may as well end up getting this skid.

gheller

Just got my Jack Stands and Floor Jack so I can get started on my tire rotation ((5,460 miles).
Stuff looks good. PowerZone brand. 3 ton stands and 6ton Aluminum floor jack. Waiting for my Milwaukee M18 Fuel 1/2" impact wrench and good weather.

This will also help me do routine maintenance.

Living in an apartment and hoping my application for a storage pod comes up soon....GF getting tired of seeing "stuff" all over the apartment.

IMG_2095.jpg

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Just got my Jack Stands and Floor Jack so I can get started on my tire rotation ((5,460 miles).
Stuff looks good. PowerZone brand. 3 ton stands and 6ton Aluminum floor jack. Waiting for my Milwaukee M18 Fuel 1/2" impact wrench and good weather.

This will also help me do routine maintenance.

Living in an apartment and hoping my application for a storage pod comes up soon....GF getting tired of seeing "stuff" all over the apartment.

View attachment 250924

Sweet addition. Nice you can do your own stuff now. Jeep first, girlfriend second.

gheller

Yeah, I think she's ok with Jeep 1st as opposed to another woman. But of course, she's #1 [emoji6]

My mistake, should read Jack 3 ton floor jack and jack stands 6 ton each.

Last edited:

gheller

Along with my Floor Jack and Stands I got my Poison Spider license plate delete plug, LED light License Plate bracket and Teraflex license plate relocation bracket. In addition, I got the Quadratec 12 volt ACC tap so when I hook up my TrailRockers I can tap into ACC easily without cutting or splicing factory harness for switch illumination as well as getting my dash cam out of the fuse box.

Since I ordered my Jeep with the HD spare tire carrier and reinforced swing gate options (which appears to be the Teraflex unit) the TF bracket seemed to be the best choice as it goes with their carrier and 3rd brake light bracket.

That should clean up the look of the back, never liked the plate on the rear quarter.
IMG_2096.jpg

Last edited:

gheller

LG Innotek 521 2 CH Dashcam

Some boring stuff for now but figure its part of the Jeep and will include in the build. Someone might get something out of it anyway.

Installed the LG 521 2 CH dash cam for some extra security while driving and parked. I was choosing between 4 cams, the BlackVue, ThinkWare, BlackSys and the LG. The LG is a fairly newcomer to the dashcam market but they are a big company with global recognition and they did do their homework when they made this cam. It checks all the boxes for a 2Ch dashcam. Sleek and discreet design, good wifi connection to mobile device for viewing files and adjusting settings, great video quality due to their high bit rate recording, high temperature and lo voltage cutoff security built in to unit, excellent hardwire kit and simple and well thought out function at a reasonable price.

I hooked it up a few weeks ago and hard wired it to the fuse box. Once I get my TrailRocker installed I'm going to remove it from the fusebox and connect the constant to TrailRocker fused lead coming inside cabin and get the ACC lead from behind the Cig/Power outlet near climate controls.

This cam works great. I have it set up on "Event recording" so that its not constantly recording video but rather will only record once an impact (Event) occurs. It will capture video 10 seconds before the impact and 33 seconds after. If I see something on the road worthy of recording that I was not involved with I can simply tap the cam to trigger an Event recording.

In Parking mode, the Motion sensor is very sensitive even at the lowest setting. It goes off whenever a car drives by so I have it turned off with only the Impact sensor (highest sensitivity) on while parked. If I lived out in a remote area, I would probably have the motion sensor on as well at the mid to high setting to catch anyone snooping around the Jeep.

Last week, I had a new Event recording when I got in the Jeep and it turned out that someone parked behind me hit the Jeep while they were getting out of the spot. I caught the action and their plate number but there was no damage to my Jeep so I let it go.

The rear camera comes with a good quality cable with mini jacks on both ends. the cable is quite long but when I laid it out prior to install it appeared that it would not reach if I routed it down along the floor so I went up through the roll bar padding and had more than enough cable.
The front dash cam unit I mounted on the plastic trim above the windshield which is close enough to the glass to avoid glare but keeps it even more discreet, and, if I have to replace windshield I don't need to fuss with the cam.

i-K5NTSTj-X3.jpg

i-J7zpFZ9-X3.jpg

i-b65VVNK-X3.jpg

i-bZB22RP-X3.jpg

i-FDtcfzV-X3.jpg

i-6rKr2Sp-X3.jpg

gheller

License Plate Relocation, Poison Spyder, Teraflex

Decided to relocate my license plate after seeing another Jeep with it and I got envy. I thought it looked better than the stock location that hangs off the rear quarter.
looking into it, I went with the Teraflex plate bracket (since my 2017 with optional HD swing gate came with the Teraflex setup and their bracket works well with it) Poison Spyder plate holder with LED lights and Poison Spyder plug to cover up the hole where the OEM bracket goes.

Everything went together in an hour. I ran the wire harness for the plate light but did not hook it up yet as I was still deciding on whether I liked the new set up or not. I found an unused Grommet behind the spare tire mount and fed the Poison Spyder harness through it and inside the tailgate to OEM harness inside the gate.

At first, I didn't go for it. I preferred the look of the spare tire without the plate on it, but I do like the rear quarter better without the bulky plate and bracket there. I left it on for a week and it is slowly growing on me and so I think I'll stay with it. I'll hook up the wiring for the plate soon (minus the brake light wiring since I already have the 3rd brake light there).

To remove the spare, I would simply remove the plate and 3rd brake light and unplug them and set them aside, then remove the spare. not too bad especially since I'll only have to do this every 5-7k mile for tire rotation, or if I actually get a flat with these STT Pros.

i-Tj64gt5-X3.jpg

i-6XrJdWf-X3.jpg

i-MQFdPgt-X3.jpg

i-JCj7Z54-X3.jpg

i-MVv9TBm-X3.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom