2011 TPMS software upgrade

Paws

Saw on a buddies 2013 that when airing down the TPMS heads up display showed the tire pressure psi as he was deflating. I have the 2011 with the new interior than the previous years 2007-2010 but with the 3.8.

I would like to get the same readout on my dash, is this possible? Maybe a software upgrade? Just wondering if anyone else has done this. I'll have to call jeep to see if there is an upgrade.

davantalus

I have the 2011 with the new interior than the previous years 2007-2010 but with the 3.8.
Hopefully someone who actually understands how the system works will come along, I have only little hints:
• 2012 and 2013 use different sensors
• I believe you need to have the "communications" (bluetooth/leather wheel/system preferences) package for these to display individually on your dash.

I'll have to call jeep to see if there is an upgrade.
Highly doubt they'll be encouraging.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
All that stuff is embedded into the JKs TIPM. Even if you could somehow upgrade the hardware, getting the software to work would be very difficult since the TIPM controls the whole vehicle and from 2011 to 2012-2014 the engine obviously changed so having a software load to support likely doesn't exist.

You best odds is to check with the dealer to see if MOPAR offers it.

noroad

not to burst the bubble here or anything but, why do you need to see it on the little jeep screen! they have gauges that will tell you right there! I just dont see the need in spending tons of money on something that is not really needed, and doesnt really help you more then it does now!

davantalus

...and doesnt really help you more then it does now!

I agree for filling, I completely disagree for lowering. I let down all four tires in parallel to a different pressure depending on terrain difficulty. Really really nice, IMHO.

Paws

Yeah I would only ask if this was possible, no way I would pay a fine for any of this. More so the question spawned from another post on here and then I recalled airing down my buddies jk while he was spouting off the psi readout.

Appreciate the comments and if jeep does have an upgrade I'll let everyone know.

Cheers

noroad

I agree for filling, I completely disagree for lowering. I let down all four tires in parallel to a different pressure depending on terrain difficulty. Really really nice, IMHO.

What does that mean??? you still need to get out to let the air out of the tire and most people air all the tires down to the same to they are equal! Also never said it wasnt nice to have but to throw a bunch of money at something as little as a TPMS would be almost a waste. Im sure if you wanted a pretty read out you could always buy some cool blue tooth ones that can link to your phone or ipod! but when off roading i think i will stick with the handy hands on reader for 40 bucks!

davantalus

What does that mean??? you still need to get out to let the air out of the tire and most people air all the tires down to the same to they are equal!

Well uh... I guess it means I'll race you for a six pack! :beer:

I added the "different pressure" part to head off the folks with the "pre-tuned" air down tools (eg: "always lets out down to 14psi"). Not to imply you should deflate unevenly (although, I suppose you probably should front/rear depending on your weight distribution.)

Also never said it wasnt nice to have but to throw a bunch of money at something as little as a TPMS would be almost a waste.
All we essentially do here is "waste" money on modifying things. I like my TPMS dash readout so much that I think it's worth every cent and is a great research topic for a 2011 JK. Have you used one at some point and found it totally useless or inaccurate?

Im sure if you wanted a pretty read out you could always buy some cool blue tooth ones that can link to your phone or ipod!
That's a great workaround idea! A quick google pulls up: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...tire-pressure-monitor-app-sema-2013/index.htm

Top Bottom