2011 JKU Front End Damage

285 is the width. 70 is the aspect ratio (height in relation to width). 285/70r17, is about 32.8 in diameter with no weight on the vehicle. Slightly taller than oem 255/75R17 (32 inches).

From the Google Masters: "The two-digit number after the slash mark in a tire size is the aspect ratio. For example, in a size P215/65 R15 tire, the 65 means that the height is equal to 65% of the tire's width. The bigger the aspect ratio, the bigger the tire's sidewall will be." :D

285 is the width. 70 is the aspect ratio (height in relation to width). 285/70r17, is about 32.8 in diameter with no weight on the vehicle. Slightly taller than oem 255/75R17 (32 inches).

From the Google Masters: "The two-digit number after the slash mark in a tire size is the aspect ratio. For example, in a size P215/65 R15 tire, the 65 means that the height is equal to 65% of the tire's width. The bigger the aspect ratio, the bigger the tire's sidewall will be." :D

So is there a benefit to going down to a 70 vs a 75?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

So is there a benefit to going down to a 70 vs a 75?

285 is going to be wider no matter how you look at it. I would go with that just because the tire is a little taller. Good size tire for a Jeep JK. We have that exact tire on the wife's Jeep with no lift and love it. Even though the 255/75 may be a little skinnier, if it is indeed a BFG MT, I don't think it performs even close to the Duratrac in snow/rain.

285 is going to be wider no matter how you look at it. I would go with that just because the tire is a little taller. Good size tire for a Jeep JK. We have that exact tire on the wife's Jeep with no lift and love it. Even though the 255/75 may be a little skinnier, if it is indeed a BFG MT, I don't think it performs even close to the Duratrac in snow/rain.

Thank you a bunch for the clarification!

I am also considering getting some wheel spacers, should we go 1.25 or 1.5? I don't want them to stick out much past the fender, just right level with it would be nice.

Hey Bruggy, I have a stock bumper and all parts just sitting here. It's yours if you want to cover the shipping. I'm in Oregon if you are interested.

The same goes for anyone else who needs a front bumper. I just want to pay a little bit forward.

Tim

Sent from my Nexus 6P using WAYALIFE mobile app

I am also considering getting some wheel spacers, should we go 1.25 or 1.5? I don't want them to stick out much past the fender, just right level with it would be nice.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think if you go 1.25, the OEM wheel studs will stick out past the spacer mounting surface. 1.5 will clear the stud. Here's a pic of my wife's with no lift and the exact same tires I mentioned above. These rims are 4.75 in backspacing which would be near equivalent to an OEM rim with a 1.5" spacer. We did cut the fenders though.

DSC04112.jpg

Here is another thread showing 33s with no lift. Maybe you can find some pics in there with a stock Jeep on 33s and a 1.5 spacer:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?12272-33-s-on-stock-jeep

Hey Bruggy, I have a stock bumper and all parts just sitting here. It's yours if you want to cover the shipping. I'm in Oregon if you are interested.

The same goes for anyone else who needs a front bumper. I just want to pay a little bit forward.

Tim

Sent from my Nexus 6P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks for the offer man! If we do contact the insurance company and they just let us fix the bumper, I will just let her use the one off of mine and get myself a new one. I am sure if you put it in the "free stuff" section of the forum, someone may want it!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think if you go 1.25, the OEM wheel studs will stick out past the spacer mounting surface. 1.5 will clear the stud. Here's a pic of my wife's with no lift and the exact same tires I mentioned above. These rims are 4.75 in backspacing which would be near equivalent to an OEM rim with a 1.5" spacer. We did cut the fenders though.

View attachment 246053

Here is another thread showing 33s with no lift. Maybe you can find some pics in there with a stock Jeep on 33s and a 1.5 spacer:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?12272-33-s-on-stock-jeep

you are correct, if you go 1.25" the OEM wheel studs will stick out past the spacer mounting surface and will need to be trimmed. 1.5" will clear the stud

I'm running into this exact dilemma after ordering custom spacers - now I need to trim the OEM studs or reorder the spacer and endup with some paperweights ughhh.... also looking for shorter studs to replace the stock stud if possible.

yeah I have so much fun creating extra work for myself :doh::doh: lol

you are correct, if you go 1.25" the OEM wheel studs will stick out past the spacer mounting surface and will need to be trimmed. 1.5" will clear the stud

I'm running into this exact dilemma after ordering custom spacers - now I need to trim the OEM studs or reorder the spacer and endup with some paperweights ughhh.... also looking for shorter studs to replace the stock stud if possible.

yeah I have so much fun creating extra work for myself :doh::doh: lol

An idea. Thread a proper die on to the wheel stud. then cut .250 off of the end of the stud. Then thread the die back off cutting new/proper threads onto the wheel stud. Just a thought.

An idea. Thread a proper die on to the wheel stud. then cut .250 off of the end of the stud. Then thread the die back off cutting new/proper threads onto the wheel stud. Just a thought.

that's a good idea :beer:

Also tell her not to worry, it happens. It happened to me 3 months after I got my jeep back in 2014. I got a little too excited when on the snow for the first time in rubicon.

That's what an AEV steel bumper looks like after taking a 30mph hit into a concrete post. Dead center also.

View attachment 245970

The total for that repair was $25K

It happens to the best of us [emoji24]

Fuck that was a hard hit, the accident, not the 25K.
Although when I think of it...

Top Bottom