2 door and 33' tires

sipafz

Caught the Bug
33s with a leveling kit, 3.21 gears. Used the AEV proclaimed to correct speedometer and shift point, nothing else needed.
View attachment 256777
View attachment 256778

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Was it really necessary to reprogram for the 33's? Or did you just do it because you could? I will be moving into 33's, new Rancho 2" spring & shock level and keeping my 3.73's. I wasn't planning on getting a programmer and was just going to live with the speedo being off a few.

desertrunner

Was it really necessary to reprogram for the 33's? Or did you just do it because you could? I will be moving into 33's, new Rancho 2" spring & shock level and keeping my 3.73's. I wasn't planning on getting a programmer and was just going to live with the speedo being off a few.
My speedo with 33s is only off by 2-3 mph at 60, you'll be fine

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

enfielded0405

On a manual it is just the speedo basically. So up to you. With an auto you need it for the shift logic as well so it drives right.

I went superchips. Does what it says it will do, I have an auto.

As to the gearing debate I have a '10 so 3.8l and 4 speed auto, 3.73s and honestly it is right on the borderline where I think I can live with it. A lot of the time I run OD off.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug

In my opinion, yes. The speedo was not off by much, but still off. The shift point corrections that are made when correcting tire size did make a difference though. With 3.21 gears, the thing was a dog on stock tires. Anything I could do to help it was worth it in my opinion. I don't like just leaving things as is just to save, what, 150 bucks? I'd rather know it's correct and done right personally.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
In my opinion, yes. The speedo was not off by much, but still off. The shift point corrections that are made when correcting tire size did make a difference though. With 3.21 gears, the thing was a dog on stock tires. Anything I could do to help it was worth it in my opinion. I don't like just leaving things as is just to save, what, 150 bucks? I'd rather know it's correct and done right personally.

Good points! Thanks!

Helwyr

My speedo with 33s is only off by 2-3 mph at 60, you'll be fine

I got my dealer to "throw in" 32s instead of the crappy 29s that came from the factory. Never adjusted the speedo though. According to my phones GPS, a regular GPS, and those pesky roadside "your speed is X, slow down" signs, and even some online tire size calculators, going from 29 to 32 is a difference of about 6mph at 60. Obviously if yours was maxed from the factory, which I'm told is 32 anyway, then yes it would not be a significant change 1-2mph at max.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
I got my dealer to "throw in" 32s instead of the crappy 29s that came from the factory. Never adjusted the speedo though. According to my phones GPS, a regular GPS, and those pesky roadside "your speed is X, slow down" signs, and even some online tire size calculators, going from 29 to 32 is a difference of about 6mph at 60. Obviously if yours was maxed from the factory, which I'm told is 32 anyway, then yes it would not be a significant change 1-2mph at max.

In your case, going from 29's to 32's I can see need to adjust the programming mainly for an automatic transmission. In my case, I'm only going up an inch - from 32 to 33.

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
In terms of off road performance, it is generally thought that with the short wheelbase and its break-over angle that a 2 door on 33's will wheel as good as a 4 door on 35's. The pumpkin is only about an inch lower so that's a small minus, but that is balanced out by a much better turning radius which is a big plus.

Last edited:

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Dont let that scare you. You"ll actually be better off then I, being you have a manual. 3.21s handle fine with 35s temporarily while you save to regear. Ive been on 35s for over a year now with my automatic and 3.21s. Definitely not ideal, but its not terrible. If you end goal is not 33s, step up to 35s, the price difference in the tires make it stupid to just not go 35s from the start. If your only wanting 33s for other reasons, i completely understand. I just dont want you to not get 35s bc the 3.21s scare you

IMG_20170602_144406619_HDR.jpg IMG_20170601_105403776_HDR.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

DannyD

I'm late to the party here but when I went to 33s on 3.73 I drove around on them for a few weeks and I didn't really notice a difference. That being said after using procal on my automatic I felt there was noticeable difference in shift points. Image1497881262.833774.jpg
33s on 2.5 inches

DKronk42

IMG_20170427_151407616.jpg

I ran 33x12.5x15 Mastercrafts on my two door with 10a jkur coils in it, I had 3.21s and a manual but once I got used to it I loved the set up, and because I ran 15s everyone thought I had 35s anyway haha

Top Bottom