VIDEO : Speedometer Calibration Made Easy Using GPS

eman

When I upgraded my tires, I used an app called JScan, combined with an OBDII adapter called Vgate. I think it cost around $30 for the adapter and $20 for the app license, so even more budget friendly than the ECRI.
And what’s even nicer about the Vgate is that it supports the ELM327 protocol, so its compatible with basically any model of car, as long as there’s an app that supports that particular car.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Crazy question but wasn’t the dealer doing these calibrations when the JL came out? Is it more expensive? Are they still doing it?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL - so, it's a strange thing that I've been getting so many people giving me grief on this video about not using a JScan
Great video and seems like the old days we got some competition here .👍👍is ECRI Merica made?
The competition is definitely nice to see. Unfortunately, I think ECRI is only designed and maybe assembled here but not made in the USA.

Don't know if it was just something weird with my JT, but when I tried to set up my Tazer with a GPS phone app and the phone was connected to the JT (both USB and Blue Tooth) the phone app mirrored the speedo and my Garmin and radar detector GPS speed were different from the speedo and app.

When I completely disconnected phone from JT then the GPS app mirrored the Garmin. Radar detector was .2 MPH slower.
The Garmin GPS is surely more accurate/reliable than a cell phone at measuring vehicle speed. I find that I often use the Garmin GPS speed indication rather than the Jeep's speedometer, which seems to be 1 MPH off.

WJCO

Meme King
When I upgraded my tires, I used an app called JScan, combined with an OBDII adapter called Vgate. I think it cost around $30 for the adapter and $20 for the app license, so even more budget friendly than the ECRI.
And what’s even nicer about the Vgate is that it supports the ELM327 protocol, so its compatible with basically any model of car, as long as there’s an app that supports that particular car.
Ummmm, welcome. I see you just joined today. This thread wasn't about jscan or vgate. It's about the ECRI product that Eddie and Cindy were using in their video. (y)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Since you seemed to have missed it, this video was made to highlight what I chose to buy, test out and why and and maybe more specifically, to highlight how it has a really cool GPS speedometer function that "get's rid of the guess work" when it comes to calculating tire size. Hence the title. Last I checked, jscan does NOT have that feature. That said, I'm glad that you're such a fanboy of what you chose to buy, that you felt the need to sign up this morning, just to chime in on this thread and say as much.

EDIT: I see that you actually signed up 2 years ago and decided to make this your very first post :rolleyes:

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, gotta keep the sales up in these crazy times.
Well yeah, I guess so. I'll tell you though, I never had an opinion about jscan one way or the other, good or bad. But now, with all the fanboys chiming in with their unsolicited churching up... I'm not so sure I'd want to buy one. The desperation to point out how it's a few bucks cheaper is weird.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Crazy question but wasn’t the dealer doing these calibrations when the JL came out? Is it more expensive? Are they still doing it?
You could pay to have your dealership calibrate your speedometer. We did that with JET early on and just to see how it worked. At the time, it cost $100 or there about and you got 2 calibrations out of it. I do believe it costs double that now. The upside to using your dealership is that you do NOT need to return your settings back to stock before paying a visit.

I now have an ECRI and watched Eddie's video, which seems to be the best available.

I am having a devil of a time with the security bypass. It took me 45 minutes to even see the bypass connectors, and only after being guided by the video. I think that I found the bypass but am having a devil of a time to get the connectors to release, given that my body is jammed in front of the driver's seat, and my head is cranked way sideways to look up, and my hands seem large for the space available.

Are these the security bypass connectors? What is the trick to getting them to release while safely pulling at the same time?

PXL_20230722_215757335~2.jpg

benatc1

Hooked
Those are it, if you have big hand like me, just accept the cuts and the pain and get the little lever button to depress and they should pull out, removing those was much easier than the ECRI for me. But definitely a terrible angle, if I recall it made it a bit easier by pulling that center trim piece but you still have jam your hand in there

I do have the center trim piece out. Otherwise I would not be able to see the connectors at all!

I worry about damaging a wire.

I put 35 x 12.5 Nitto Trail Grapplers on my JL (2" Mopar lift) using AEV wheels. No rub at full lock on the street. No telling about the trails. Maybe I should have gone an inch narrower but these tires (or very similar) are on AEV's list.

I don't mean to take over this discussion thread. I did see Eddie's comment that settings need to be restored to default before taking the Jeep in for service. The tire size setting is important and if it is this difficult to get connected, then that is a factor.
I have a lot of other things to do and no time, and it must feel like 115+ in the garage so I will explore the dealership option. Discount Tire can do no wrong but they lost the tire carrier parts which must be removed (lug nuts and the plastic lock part around the camera). I have the spare tire reinforcement waiting to be installed.

Top Bottom