TJ speaker install help!

britkilian

Hey Jeepers,
So I’m installing all new speakers in my 97 TJ and I have come across some issues. The old front speakers in the dash rattled and the ones in the sound bar were cracked. I bought the kickers with the sound pods for the dash. When I plugged both of the dash speakers in to test them, it made the sound system sound worse and just completely off. The higher I turn the volume up the worse the sound gets. Static, buzzing etc. Before all this I installed a new Pioneer single din radio and it works correctly. However there was an extra black wire that i did nothing with because it was not attached to the old radio. I believe it is another ground wire? I have been at it all day trying to figure out what the issue is.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_0974.jpg IMG_0975.jpg IMG_0977.jpg IMG_0977.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Uhhh.im confused by your description and picture here. What is that wire going to and from, what’s up with the janky connections to connections? Are the speakers hooked up correctly +/- . Each speaker should have two wires, what extra wire are you talking about? Kicker speakers suck, sorry to the fanboys here but they all sound high pitched and tinny, I had a CS series and returned them they sucked so much. I think every few years they add a letter they’re probably equivalent to DS now.

Does your TJ have the factory sub in the center console?

Also for your sound bar upgrade to 6.5” speakers, may need to trim a bit of the circle to fit the basket of speaker but this improves sound quality tremendously, and also opens up your options. The polk db’s I put in my last Jeep I just had to tap the edge of the cutout with a hammer to bend back a little to fit no cutting. Sound bar should also be stuffed with speaker box/poly fill to help the mids. Only thing to be careful with is the depth of the speaker, measure before you order, you can massage the “top” side of sound bar with a punch and a hammer to make bigger speakers squeeze in if you need to.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

britkilian

Uhhh.im confused by your description and picture here. What is that wire going to and from, what’s up with the janky connections to connections? Are the speakers hooked up correctly +/- . Each speaker should have two wires, what extra wire are you talking about? Kicker speakers suck, sorry to the fanboys here but they all sound high pitched and tinny, I had a CS series and returned them they sucked so much. I think every few years they add a letter they’re probably equivalent to DS now.

Does your TJ have the factory sub in the center console?

Also for your sound bar upgrade to 6.5” speakers, may need to trim a bit of the circle to fit the basket of speaker but this improves sound quality tremendously, and also opens up your options. The polk db’s I put in my last Jeep I just had to tap the edge of the cutout with a hammer to bend back a little to fit no cutting. Sound bar should also be stuffed with speaker box/poly fill to help the mids. Only thing to be careful with is the depth of the speaker, measure before you order, you can massage the “top” side of sound bar with a punch and a hammer to make bigger speakers squeeze in if you need to.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

The wire pictured is the wire from the dash that’s supposed to connect to the speaker. That janky wiring is what the old owner did. I don’t understand why the factory wiring was taken out. The extra wire I’m talking about is a black wire that looks like the ground wire that is not connected behind my radio. There’s two total factory black wires in the Jeep behind the radio. One black wire is connected to the wire harness and the other one was not connected to anything when I pulled out the old radio.

No. The 97s did not have the AMP in the center console feature.

Yes I ordered 6.5 speakers and have the poly fill ready to go. Thanks for the tips

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom