Baby Seal

Jackboeker83

Finally got the Jeep finished from the shop and took it on a minor shakedown run. The only thing I noticed was when shifting from drive to park while in 4L it would give about 6 clicks like the parking paw wasn’t completely set. Not sure if it’s the bind from the torque or what. I made 100% sure to be at a full stop. I’m in the field training for the next two weeks and once done I’ll do a proper shake down run before my trip to Moab and Colorado.

IMG_8512.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8513.jpeg
    IMG_8513.jpeg
    311.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_8519.jpeg
    IMG_8519.jpeg
    279.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_8518.jpeg
    IMG_8518.jpeg
    302.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_8552.jpeg
    IMG_8552.jpeg
    493.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_8562.jpeg
    IMG_8562.jpeg
    474.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Jackboeker83

Ok so I finally named my Jeep baby seal. Baby seals are white and when climbing rocks my tires sound like a seal barking. I like it.

After getting back from my Moab trip I had some issues I laid out in the Moab thread I started. While doing some checks today I noticed a weird movement when I turn my steering wheel while stationary. I got under there and made my wife turn the steering wheel and noticed I have play in my upper control arms and it’s allowing my axle to move left and right. Also the bushings are already chewed up with about 3k miles on them. I also checked the torque of the upper control arm bolts and they were not loose. Not sure what caused them to get chewed up so fast but I believe the play is from the outer rubber being chewed up or missing. Maybe the shop over tightened them and it didn’t allow them to move freely. If anyone has any ideas that would be great. I’ll look into it more tomorrow.
IMG_8990.jpeg IMG_8991.jpeg IMG_8992.jpeg IMG_8993.jpeg IMG_8994.jpeg IMG_8995.jpeg

WJCO

Meme King
Ok so I finally named my Jeep baby seal. Baby seals are white and when climbing rocks my tires sound like a seal barking. I like it.

After getting back from my Moab trip I had some issues I laid out in the Moab thread I started. While doing some checks today I noticed a weird movement when I turn my steering wheel while stationary. I got under there and made my wife turn the steering wheel and noticed I have play in my upper control arms and it’s allowing my axle to move left and right. Also the bushings are already chewed up with about 3k miles on them. I also checked the torque of the upper control arm bolts and they were not loose. Not sure what caused them to get chewed up so fast but I believe the play is from the outer rubber being chewed up or missing. Maybe the shop over tightened them and it didn’t allow them to move freely. If anyone has any ideas that would be great. I’ll look into it more tomorrow.
View attachment 393998 View attachment 393999 View attachment 394000 View attachment 394001 View attachment 394002 View attachment 394003
The pumpkin bushing is supposed to stick out more on the outboard side, but yours looks way out. Post a picture of the inboard side of the pumpkin bushing. Honestly, I'm thinking your shop torqued the bolts down when it was on the lift with the suspension at full droop. Should be on the ground before the final torque.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

View attachment 393998 View attachment 393999 View attachment 394000 View attachment 394001 View attachment 394002 View attachment 394003
Big flex! I see you're running coilovers and what looks like a PR60? This is totally normal with clevite bushings. The bonded rubber is designed to work with stock suspension and you're pushing them way beyond the limits. That said, I've tried running johnny joints to help mitigate this on Moby but they blew out too. Now, I just let them blow out and replace them on a more regular basis.

Jackboeker83

Big flex! I see you're running coilovers and what looks like a PR60? This is totally normal with clevite bushings. The bonded rubber is designed to work with stock suspension and you're pushing them way beyond the limits. That said, I've tried running johnny joints to help mitigate this on Moby but they blew out too. Now, I just let them blow out and replace them on a more regular basis.
Thanks for the heads up. I do have EVO coilovers and a PR60, so I figure you would have "some" experience with that setup. I had some small, expected, issues with my first shakedown run but overall I loved the way this thing bombed across the desert but also flexed incredibly well. I just kept thinking that I was so happy that I decided to get the diesel instead of the 3.6. It has torque for days, I never had an overheating issue and loved to keep it low RPM and just crawl up things. Do you happen to have a link to where I can replace these bushings?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the heads up. I do have EVO coilovers and a PR60, so I figure you would have "some" experience with that setup. I had some small, expected, issues with my first shakedown run but overall I loved the way this thing bombed across the desert but also flexed incredibly well. I just kept thinking that I was so happy that I decided to get the diesel instead of the 3.6. It has torque for days, I never had an overheating issue and loved to keep it low RPM and just crawl up things. Do you happen to have a link to where I can replace these bushings?
This should be it

I should note, it really helps to have an air hammer to get the old ones out.

Top Bottom