Tips, Tricks on Rust Prevention post-Drilling Frame

Ha1

I've seem a few projects that I'm interested, most relevant to this question would be sliders, which require drilling new holes in the frame.

I tend to keep my vehicles for an extended time, and while I can primer/paint the holes after drilling but I must admit to a fair bit paranoia about rust since a spray can will never do as well as the factory coating.

Any tips or tricks to avoid rust and corrosion after drilling new mounting holes into the frame?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've seem a few projects that I'm interested, most relevant to this question would be sliders, which require drilling new holes in the frame.

I tend to keep my vehicles for an extended time, and while I can primer/paint the holes after drilling but I must admit to a fair bit paranoia about rust since a spray can will never do as well as the factory coating.

Any tips or tricks to avoid rust and corrosion after drilling new mounting holes into the frame?
A good frame paint should be enough to get the job done. If you're really worried about it, bush it on so that you can get inside the hole as well. When installing your bolts, use a thread locker to help ensure no moisture gets inside the hole. Depending on what you're installing, antiseize will do the trick too.

Upvote 0

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

First time jeep owner? The factory coating sucks on Jeeps.

Upvote 0

As Overlander said, all paint is a maintenance item, and jeep frames are no exception.

I use this stuff to touch up my frame once a year or so.
I believe I actually discovered it on this forum.

IMG_1458.jpeg

Upvote 0

Dallas_6o4

Speaking of undercoating, anyone recommend a brand I can apply myself? The undercoating where my Jeep got done look like some spots came out thick while others came out thin. Did they do it wrong? Looks sloppy.

Upvote 0
Speaking of undercoating, anyone recommend a brand I can apply myself? The undercoating where my Jeep got done look like some spots came out thick while others came out thin. Did they do it wrong? Looks sloppy.
Photos?

If really wanting to prevent rust long-term then you will want a frame paint kit (e.g. such as from Eastwood) which coats the inside of the frame where you can not see. Do it before there is rust and when things are still nice and clean. While I have not yet used any of these products, Eastwood looks like the go-to company when it comes to frame paint and "undercoating".

Upvote 0

Spazbyt

Hooked
I second POR-15. The stuff really does work. Pro tip: Por-15 dries in the can after opening it but you can buy POR-15 in a 6-pack of 4oz cans so you don't have a big can dry up on you. The stuff aint cheap.
1700673130081.jpeg
As mentioned before if the frame is really bad you should look at Eastwoods internal frame coating
1700672562108.jpeg

Upvote 0
Top Bottom