The Return of Big Black

duktrx

Few updates..

here are some pics of the exposed rack system, seems to be holding up well with the weight of the tent, with all the rain we have been getting i put the full doors back on and have yet to run it without the tent, so road noise with the tent is definitely considerable going down the highway but no report for rack only yet.

Also was able to sneak out with my daughter last night for a quick camp “dry” run (it rained). Tent was an easy set up, and really comfortable/dry, save from the element. Def feel the weight in my stock suspension going down the trail. Mild trail but definitely flexed out a bunch. Overall a success.

Also, got my radio wired up finally, and EVO MFG trie carrier installed that’s been sitting around. Thanks for the install video Eddie, Factory tire does not fit, so had to grab a wheel spacer from summit for the time being, it’s Tereflex so if anyone sees a spare tire tire rolling down the highway it’s probably mine. But this will hold be over till I pull the trigger on some bigger things. Still dragging my feet.

It looks like you had a blast.

Do the legs on the rack help spread the load from the gutters onto the hardtop, or do they have any reinforcement inside the top?

benatc1

Hooked
It looks like you had a blast.

Do the legs on the rack help spread the load from the gutters onto the hardtop, or do they have any reinforcement inside the top?
Yea was definitely a good time. So it’s all weight distribution through those legs, nothing through drilled through the top or built in the inside. I thought it was an interesting concept and being I didn’t want to drill though the top at this time I figured I’d give ‘em a try. So far so good, but by no means was I bombing down the trail

benatc1

Hooked
Running out of parts in the garage, just ACM and ARB left, which I plan to do whenever I install a lift/tires. But got the a pillar lights installed, evo brackets and wires up all the amber lights to 1 switch. These seems to be the old Amber brightness which is fine as they match my bumper lights. Pics of the rear lights too, off, Amber dust light (kinda hard to tell in daylight pic), and then full brightness Amber back up light. Need to get out in the dark and see how everything looks.

Attachments

• IMG_5486.jpeg
    IMG_5486.jpeg
    250.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5478.jpeg
    IMG_5478.jpeg
    281.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5480.jpeg
    IMG_5480.jpeg
    152.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5485.jpeg
    IMG_5485.jpeg
    236.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5484.jpeg
    IMG_5484.jpeg
    205.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5482.jpeg
    IMG_5482.jpeg
    317 KB · Views: 16

benatc1

Hooked
First of 2 updates.. I’ve been debating what to do for my slider/step situation for some time now. I wanted something strong but also practical for my life, I basically was been Rockslide engineering slider/steps and EVO sliders with insert, debates around how much lift/tire too. I came across a deal locally on rockslide engineering steps that were in box but never installed, or at least was I was told. But for only 1200 bucks I figured why not, they were in perfect shape. These steps were the biggest PITA install I’ve ever done, then one of the motors was junk, which fine even at that I was way ahead of their 2400 price tag, which is just the base, not to mention all the add ons to have lights/ability to keep from destroying on rocks (skids), ability is use without doors/my half doors, it kinda gets out of control. That said, I don’t mind the steps, daughter thinks they are the coolest thing ever lol, their door/magnet sensor is pretty janky, I think the construction is pretty good, build quality is pretty good, we’ll see how they hold up against real rocks, i did just order the skids, but I wouldn’t recommend these to anyone at this point based on the complexity of getting things to work in different scenarios and installed. I will say their custom service was pretty good though. But with these step/sliders I feel much better about what else have ordered and still making it practical to get wife/kids in out, so pretty indifferent on them as a while at this point. So now onto the fun part…

Last edited:

benatc1

Hooked
Like I said in my previous post, Time for some big upgrades, decided to keep my budget reasonable at this point, but will probably upgrade more stuff as we move long. Yesterday I ordered up all the following from Jeremy and @Disciple Off Road, first andJermey is the man, we had a good conversation about what was needed/wanted, planning for future upgrades, ect. He was super helpful making my order process as easy as possible and he’s definitely earned all my future business. If you haven’t given him a chance yet, give him a call and I’m certain he’ll take great care of you too. But here’s what I have coming..

EVO MFG 3.5” Stage 3 overland with EVO Bilstein shocks

RockJock 4x4 Front Adjustable Track Bar

Front 1350 Adam Driveshaft

KMC Grenade Crawl Beadlocks Black/Machined

Nitto Trail Grappler 38x13.5r17

RockSlide Engineering skids

still have some stuff laying around that I need to get installed too and should be in pretty good shape moving fwd
- ARB compressor with WAL ACM mount
-LUX rock lights
- muffler delete
-ECRI programmer

Like I said in my previous post, Time for some big upgrades, decided to keep my budget reasonable at this point, but will probably upgrade more stuff as we move long. Yesterday I ordered up all the following from Jeremy and @Disciple Off Road, first andJermey is the man, we had a good conversation about what was needed/wanted, planning for future upgrades, ect. He was super helpful making my order process as easy as possible and he’s definitely earned all my future business. If you haven’t given him a chance yet, give him a call and I’m certain he’ll take great care of you too. But here’s what I have coming..

still have some stuff laying around that I need to get installed too and should be in pretty good shape moving fwd
-LUX rock lights
- muffler delete
-ECRI programmer
Thanks for the support Ben! Looking forward to seeing it on the trail 🤘🏼

benatc1

Hooked
I need to get my situation figured out. At some point I’ll give disciple some love. There’s always some life event in the “next couple months” that gets in the way. One of these days though.

Sorry to highjack Ben. Lol. Really cool to see you getting out with your daughter. 😎
All good man, It’s definitely been fun, I need to get her out again!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

-LUX rock lights
- muffler delete
-ECRI programmer
Awesome! Looking forward to seeing it all come together (y)

Dale72

Hooked
Jeep is looking good Ben. Glad to see that tire carrier finally on. I was going to install it on my JLUR but went and got the oil changed, then ended up leaving with the blue Gladiator.

benatc1

Hooked
Stuff is piling up, probably start the tear down tonight..these 38s are even bigger than I expected, pretty excited to get them mounted up.

Attachments

• IMG_5601.jpeg
    IMG_5601.jpeg
    219.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5602.jpeg
    IMG_5602.jpeg
    259.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5600.jpeg
    IMG_5600.jpeg
    241.7 KB · Views: 11
Top Bottom