The Build of my Sahara

rmarquez77h

Hello all,

So, I have decided to finally start building my Sahara after a few years of buying it.

I have been looking for Rubicon takeoffs axles but haven't seen anything in Chicago area, seems to be pretty hard to find, All that I have found so far is in Colorado, Utah, California and the prices that I have seen are close to just getting new ones online. maybe a few hundred cheaper, So, I am planning on buying new ones for the peace of mind.

Anyone knows a reliable and honest shop in Chicago area where I can do the swap ?. For what I know it is a pretty easy job for a shop with all the tools, mostly bolt in. Someone gave me an estimate of $3200 last week and I think is a rip off.

So my plans are:
New Rubicon axles front and rear, not planning on re-gearing the dana 30 or 35 that come with the Sahara.
Mopar Auxiliary Kit
Mopar e-locker Harness

Any tips that you guys can give are appreciate it. First time building a jeep.

Last edited:

Lperdue

Hello all,

So, I have decided to finally start building my Sahara after a few years of buying it.

I have been looking for Rubicon takeoffs axles but haven't seen anything in Chicago area, seems to be pretty hard to find, All that I have found so far is in Colorado, Utah, California and the prices that I have seen are close to just getting new ones online. maybe a few hundred cheaper, So, I am planning on buying new ones for the peace of mind.

Anyone knows a reliable and honest shop in Chicago area where I can do the swap ?. For what I know it is a pretty easy job for a shop with all the tools, mostly bolt in. Someone gave me an estimate of $3200 last week and I think is a rip off.

So my plans are:
New Rubicon axles front and rear, not planning on re-gearing the dana 30 or 35 that come with the Sahara.
Mopar Auxiliary Kit
Mopar e-locker Harness

Any tips that you guys can give are appreciate it. First time building a jeep.
Not sure if your accounting for this
You may have to get new brake lines (but you might be able to modify your current ones to work).
A new tie rod due to the Rubicon axles being wider than a Sahara's.
Lastly a Tazer JL to update your jeep's gear ratio, tire size, etc.

Also that seems a little high I went and got a quote early last year to do the same job in Cincinnati for around 6700. This included axles, switches, brake lines, tie rod. But again this was also before inflation.

Last edited:

rmarquez77h

Not sure if your accounting for this
You may have to get new brake lines (but you might be able to modify your current ones to work).
A new tie rod due to the Rubicon axles being wider than a Sahara's.
Lastly a Tazer JL to update your jeep's gear ratio, tire size, etc.

Also that seems a little high I went and got a quote early last year to do the same job in Cincinnati for around 6700. This included axles, switches, brake lines, tie rod. But again this was also before inflation.
Lperdue, Thanks so much for the input. Appreciate it your time.

Lperdue

Not yet installed, but I already bought it (2.5 lift kit) will be installed maybe next week. Will be also getting 35's, no bigger that that.
Nice, I was asking because it might be beneficial to wait on the lift. If you do the axles and lift at the same time a lot of shops wont charge that much (if at all) to install a lift at that point. This is because suspension wise has to come out in the process plus since you are installing a new tie rod they will have to do an alignment anyway.

rmarquez77h

Nice, I was asking because it might be beneficial to wait on the lift. If you do the axles and lift at the same time a lot of shops wont charge that much (if at all) to install a lift at that point. This is because suspension wise has to come out in the process plus since you are installing a new tie rod they will have to do an alignment anyway.
That's a great point, Honestly did not think about it. That alone will save some money. Thanks again...

Top Bottom