Suspension noise

SDHobbs

I've been trying to figure out what is causing this popping noise when off-road, does not happen on-road. I have an Evo Long arm kit with coilovers, it was installed about 6 months ago and it's been quiet, then a month ago it's started making this noise. I've had the arms re-torqued and axle re-centered, nothing seems to be hitting the frame. All the welds looks good, I've greased the joints. These are clips from our wheeling trip this weekend, it was popping all day. What do you guys think?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Does it only do it when flexed or all the time? When flexed probably a rear driveshaft hitting the gas tank skid. If all the time, a front driveshaft u joint is probably shot since it only happens when offroad.

SDHobbs

Does it only do it when flexed or all the time? When flexed probably a rear driveshaft hitting the gas tank skid. If all the time, a front driveshaft u joint is probably shot since it only happens when offroad.
Only when flexing, it doesn't take much flex, just going over a rut will cause it. It will make the noise in 2wd drive if I disconnect the swaybars. It could be the rear driveshaft i'm still running the stock one, don't see any signs of rubbing though, but I'll take a closer look at that. Thanks for the help!

jeeeep

Hooked
crawl underneath to check, I get the same noise and it's the rear DS hitting but it's wasn't visible until I got underneath and got a better look.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It kinda sounds similar to Jet Li in this video at starting at 10:30

It's been a while but I'm pretty sure what you're hearing in that video are the coils on the coilovers catching the timing rings from time to time. If this is pretty normal for coilovers and the fact that it took a while for you to start hearing it and only at a flex would make sense.

SDHobbs

crawl underneath to check, I get the same noise and it's the rear DS hitting but it's wasn't visible until I got underneath and got a better look.
I will, i'm planning on replacing the stock DS with aftermarket so that should help, thanks!
It's been a while but I'm pretty sure what you're hearing in that video are the coils on the coilovers catching the timing rings from time to time. If this is pretty normal for coilovers and the fact that it took a while for you to start hearing it and only at a flex would make sense.
Thanks Eddie, I was just worried something was binding or hitting something it shouldn't, if it's just normal coilover noise I won't worry about it.

ScoobyCarolanNC

those dumb rubber bushing swaybar links can make some noise. put a wrench on em even if they seem tight. that was my mystery klunk.

Top Bottom