Shocks or lift kit 2019 JL Rubicon

jal

Hey All-
It seems as of late the rear end seems to ride rougher/ bottom out easir then before-
Havent changed anything as far as weight in the back etc
Should I just look at new shocks all the way around or for a little more monsy- just get the Rancho RS66121BR5 Suspension Kit
I have a Winch / aftermarket bumper
I wont need tires until next year and most likely go to 35's
and would there be any issue with just getting new shocks and running 35's as is?
Thanks in advance
pic is of current stance as is stock
IMG_3797 (1).jpg

jal

Or will replacing shock and steering stabilzer be a better option?
Jeep has 40K miles
Rancho RS5000X Rear Shock for 0 to 1.50-Inch Lift
Rancho RS5000X Front Shock for Stock Height
Rancho RS5000 Steering Stabilizer for Stock Height

kevman65

Hooked
Steering stabilizer just masks problems.

Check all your steering linkage, tie rod, drag link, ball joints, u-joints, even track bar for looseness or play.
If it's factory and sloppy, then look at replacing it and maybe beefing it up.
If your shocks are shot, that will affect handling/steering too.

I assume this is on the 2019, so it's almost 5 years old, the shocks could be worn out, or were a tad undersized to start with.
I'm not impressed with the MOPAR specced Fox shocks on the JT. Way too soft.

The lift is up to you, I believe 35's will fit on a JLUR with minimum issues. You already have a shorty front bumper so that's one obstacle out of the way. If you're going to put them on OEM wheels, then I believe spacers are needed.

jal

Steering stabilizer just masks problems.

Check all your steering linkage, tie rod, drag link, ball joints, u-joints, even track bar for looseness or play.
If it's factory and sloppy, then look at replacing it and maybe beefing it up.
If your shocks are shot, that will affect handling/steering too.

I assume this is on the 2019, so it's almost 5 years old, the shocks could be worn out, or were a tad undersized to start with.
I'm not impressed with the MOPAR specced Fox shocks on the JT. Way too soft.

The lift is up to you, I believe 35's will fit on a JLUR with minimum issues. You already have a shorty front bumper so that's one obstacle out of the way. If you're going to put them on OEM wheels, then I believe spacers are needed.
Thansk for the feed back
Im running the Synergy 1-3/4-Inch Hub Centric Wheel Spacers
I feel it more in the rear- will nut/bolt everything this weekend to double check
Probably just go ahead and order the shocks and stabiler just to be safe-
Install shocks first- drive then the stabilizer

jeeeep

Hooked
Thansk for the feed back
Im running the Synergy 1-3/4-Inch Hub Centric Wheel Spacers
I feel it more in the rear- will nut/bolt everything this weekend to double check
Probably just go ahead and order the shocks and stabiler just to be safe-
Install shocks first- drive then the stabilizer
4 years old, I'd guess the shocks are worn out.

I would replace the shocks on all 4 corners.

Unless you are having issues with the steering and feel the stabilizer shock is bad, I would replace it with another stock Mopar stabilizer not aftermarket. You can check the stabilizer for worn rubber bushing at the mounting point or remove it and see how easily it compresses.

When I checked the stabilizer on my daughter's 2015, the rubber mounting bushing was gone and the stabilizer had zero resistance.

jal

4 years old, I'd guess the shocks are worn out.

I would replace the shocks on all 4 corners.

Unless you are having issues with the steering and feel the stabilizer shock is bad, I would replace it with another stock Mopar stabilizer not aftermarket. You can check the stabilizer for worn rubber bushing at the mounting point or remove it and see how easily it compresses.

When I checked the stabilizer on my daughter's 2015, the rubber mounting bushing was gone and the stabilizer had zero resistance.
Thanks for the advice good idea 👍

Tahiti Dave

Sounds like you have a plan, but I'd start with the shocks. I just replaced mine in the rear with Fox Performance 2.0's. Super happy with the ride quality. 2 bolts per side... 15-20 mins...

Attachments

• IMG_8005.jpg
    IMG_8005.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 7

jal

Sounds like you have a plan, but I'd start with the shocks. I just replaced mine in the rear with Fox Performance 2.0's. Super happy with the ride quality. 2 bolts per side... 15-20 mins...
good to know, thnaks (y)

Top Bottom