Room for upper shock mounts?

TrailHunter

Hooked
I hear you, but when I looked under there, it's more about moving the pipe closer to the output, than down... so the arc of the shaft on droop has to get further down to hit the pipe.

As I'm a grandfather on SS, and less spry than I used to be, I was trying to avoid going under there, again, in 90+ heat, but, I guess I'll need to just bite the bullet and take actual measurements with the pipe off to see the potential gains etc.

Due to the angles, I was thinking closer to 5" than 1", but, I guess I need to get wrenching.

:)

Is all of this necessary for how you wheel…. more important the kind of wheeling your budget would allow for? I mean lets be real, it costs a lot of money to be a serious “Rock Crawler” that pushes the limits of a Jeep. Shits gonna break.

Teejer

It also costs a lot of money to be cheap.
It can for sure.

I have a wheeling style, historically, where I stay low but allow the tires to follow the terrain...and stay off the gas to avoid breakage etc.

...and the rocks around here mean I'll want about the articulation 12" travel would allow.

To fit the 12" travel shocks, I'm looking at around a 17" compressed length...

.... but have ~ 15" crush room as is.

So, all I'm basically doing is looking for ways to get room for 17" compressed shocks.

That doesn't seem insane, to me, at least.

I can't use all that travel with the exhaust under the shaft.

Moving it out from under where it now hits, doesn't seem insane either... to me at least.

Other solutions are welcome.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
It can for sure.

I have a wheeling style, historically, where I stay low but allow the tires to follow the terrain...and stay off the gas to avoid breakage etc.

...and the rocks around here mean I'll want about the articulation 12" travel would allow.

To fit the 12" travel shocks, I'm looking at around a 17" compressed length...

.... but have ~ 15" crush room as is.

So, all I'm basically doing is looking for ways to get room for 17" compressed shocks.

That doesn't seem insane, to me, at least.

I can't use all that travel with the exhaust under the shaft.

Moving it out from under where it now hits, doesn't seem insane either... to me at least.

Other solutions are welcome.

You’re also saying you’re old and can’t get under your jee yet you want to rebuild the entire thing with completely custom setup. Makes no sense. Again, if it was that easy, don’t you think people would have done it?

Teejer

Taking it slow is different from doing nothing, but thanks for the pep talk.

:D

I DID think others might have done it, as that is WHY I asked if anyone had done it, so I don't have to reinvent the wheel, etc.

So, we're on the same page now at least.

Taking it slow is different from doing nothing, but thanks for the pep talk.

:D

I DID think others might have done it, as that is WHY I asked if anyone had done it, so I don't have to reinvent the wheel, etc.

So, we're on the same page now at least.
For what it’s worth, and not many folks like the Falcon shocks that I run but… I run their 3.3 series which allows for a shorter shock body and longer shaft. They cycle just under 13” of travel. I haven them mounted in the stock location AND my exhaust is stock and it doesn’t hit my drive shaft. I’m also not running spacers.

I dot have everything else dialed so I can get the absolute maximum travel I can and nothing is binding them or limiting them.

Teejer

For what it’s worth, and not many folks like the Falcon shocks that I run but… I run their 3.3 series which allows for a shorter shock body and longer shaft. They cycle just under 13” of travel. I haven them mounted in the stock location AND my exhaust is stock and it doesn’t hit my drive shaft. I’m also not running spacers.

I dot have everything else dialed so I can get the absolute maximum travel I can and nothing is binding them or limiting them.
Thanks!

I'll check those out!

Teejer

That's what I needed!

Thanks!

I was measuring droop and when the shock lengths woukd need to be longer than ~ 27" or so, the shaft was on that exhaust pipe.

Again, Thanks!

WJCO

Meme King

That's what I needed!

Thanks!

I was measuring droop and when the shock lengths woukd need to be longer than ~ 27" or so, the shaft was on that exhaust pipe.

Again, Thanks!

Extreme Terrain sucks balls. Buy it from a reputable vendor.

Top Bottom