Rear Spare tire bump stops

Swamps

HI All,

Just got my JL (previous JK owner). The car was bought used and I've noticed that the tailgate bump stops don't touch the wheel (running Dirty Life DT1).

I'm guessing it's not good to run it like this.. but how quickly do I need to get this fixed? am I ok to drive it on road until I can get something sorted?

Thanks

WJCO

Meme King
HI All,

Just got my JL (previous JK owner). The car was bought used and I've noticed that the tailgate bump stops don't touch the wheel (running Dirty Life DT1).

I'm guessing it's not good to run it like this.. but how quickly do I need to get this fixed? am I ok to drive it on road until I can get something sorted?

Thanks
We've been driving ours with a 35inch spare with a gap between the tire and bump stops for about three years and 22k miles on pavement. No issues at all that we've noticed. But, it's on our procrastination list to get to and we do plan on addressing it.

Easy way to do it:

HI All,

Thanks
It would be good to fix this before driving on rough roads. You would not want to damage your tailgate or the hinge area.

Swamps

agreed, defiantly not planning on any off road until it's rectified, but was hoping freeway and standard roads would be OK.

GP NOIR

Hooked
As a temporary fix, I bought a couple of handball sized balls and wedged them between the bump stops and the tires. It thoroughly amused the crew at Discount Tire whenever I had the tires rotated.

Top Bottom