Nitto Trail Grapplers

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
That is unreal for an off road tire! Does anybody have anything bad to say about these tires? I can't remember in what magazine but they said that They ran this tire in a 40" tire and didn't even balance it and ran it off road and right down the highway!

Was that GCM? Or was he talking about his mud grapplers when he posted that? I remember him posting it somewhere.:thinking:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That was GCM 2 talking about his Mud Grapplers. We've done the same thing with ours, just mounted them on our ATX Slab bead lock wheels and went. Same has always been true with our Toyo Open Country MT's, mount them up and go - NO balancing required. They are really that round. We did try doing that with our Trail Grapplers but was feeling a bit of a nibble at about 80 MPH and so we got them road force balanced at Americas Tires. After that, they've been perfect. :yup:

BEE'S TWIN

Nitto Mud Grapplers vs BFG KM2 vs Toyo M/T? 35x12.50x15

What do you guys recommend? It is also my daily driver when i am not driving the work truck. SO mostly a weeekend driver. We go wheeling as much as we can, and live in Utah with a lot of snow and ice during the winter.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Nitto Mud Grapplers vs BFG KM2 vs Toyo M/T? 35x12.50x15

What do you guys recommend? It is also my daily driver when i am not driving the work truck. SO mostly a weeekend driver. We go wheeling as much as we can, and live in Utah with a lot of snow and ice during the winter.

I have run all 3 and of them, I would have to say that the Nitto Mud Grapplers are the best on the trail. They hook up in just about anything and have near bulletproof sidewalls. Their biggest downside is that they are loud - VERY LOUD on pavement and that does prove to be an issue for some. Toyo MT's are essentially the exact same tire (Toyo makes Nittos) only are way quieter on pavement and more street friendly. They have the same near bulletproof sidewalls and do extremely well on the trail as well. The smaller shoulder lugs and tread voids are really the only place they fall behind when compared to the Mud Grapplers. BFG MT KM2's look great, wear like iron and are very comfortable but, they have paper thin sidewalls and only perform marginally when compared to a Toyo.

For where you live, the trails you have and the conditions you drive in, I would recommend Toyo MT's or the Nitto Trail Grapplers.

Jchet729

Just from reading thanks to all for their input as I've been in debate as well on what I want to put on my new JK.

Renagade119

Ive been talking to some guys hanging around the tire shops and theyre saying that the Trail Grapplers are amazing tires but theyre a soft rubber compound and the wear life is awful for onroad driving and the other downside I hear a lot of is that they are incredibly heavy tires and not very well suited for a TJ. Anyone got anything to say/object/add-to that?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ive been talking to some guys hanging around the tire shops and theyre saying that the Trail Grapplers are amazing tires but theyre a soft rubber compound and the wear life is awful for onroad driving and the other downside I hear a lot of is that they are incredibly heavy tires and not very well suited for a TJ. Anyone got anything to say/object/add-to that?

They are amazing BECAUSE they use a softer rubber compound. They're no BFG but wear pretty well for onroad driving. Of course, they don't have paper thin sidewalls like BFG's too. I don't when it became a "downside" to have a heavy tire but, a heavy tire IS a good thing. Unsprung weight is what you want as it will help you to keep all four on the floor. A heavy tire is typically heavy because they have much thicker and stronger sidewalls - this is a good thing and, to somehow suggest that they may be bad for MPG is laughable. Rolling resistance will do more to hurt your MPG than would weight any day of the week. Now, unless all the people you've been talking to are just girlymen who can't manage a slightly heavier tire, weight shouldn't even enter the conversation. Of course, that's just me. :yup:

Renagade119

Hahaha you should be a sales rep for Nitto. I have a membership with wranglerforum.com too and thats what those guys had to say. Im just trying to find whats right for me:thinking:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hahaha you should be a sales rep for Nitto. I have a membership with wranglerforum.com too and thats what those guys had to say. Im just trying to find whats right for me:thinking:

:cheesy: Please make no mistake, you're more than welcome to take their recommendations over mine. Just giving my 2¢ - certainly, what do I know :)

Renagade119

Haha Im not trying to say that you dont know your stuff, Im sure you dont. But like I said Im trying to figure out what would serve my purpose the best and I find the best way to do that is to get as much feedback and info from as many different people as possible

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
From reading the other thread you should not even think about the nitto. You just said you don't have money. As Eddie said look for used tires.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Haha Im not trying to say that you dont know your stuff, Im sure you dont.

:cheesy: Well, I would never claim that I do.

But like I said Im trying to figure out what would serve my purpose the best and I find the best way to do that is to get as much feedback and info from as many different people as possible

Don't know what your purposes you're trying to serve but, good luck to you. I have no doubts that you'll be able to get a lot of feedback from a lot of different people who know better than I :yup:

Renagade119

Wow, I definitely just made a huuuuge typo. Where I said "Im sure you dont" That was definitely meant to say "Im sure you DO" Wow, sorry, my bad

Top Bottom