matt08jk's build thread

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Good think im sure you did that reinforcement, should hold up well I would think if the tire is against it and doesnt have a chance to really move around.

matt08jk

Pretty standard mod today: cut my pinch seam and rubi rails down. Just thought Id share the pics from it in case anyone with not much lift and 35's wanted to see it.
First, how close is was this morning (I have a TF leveling kit, 1.75" spacers and those are 35" Trail Graps)
Pinch1.jpg
Then, I took off the rails and cut them down 1" with a Rotozip saw. I used a simple hacksaw on the pinch seam and it took about 30 seconds. I measured an 1.25" from the end of the seam along the bottom and just continued the line up to just under the first spot weld.
Pinch2.jpg
I mixed up some JB Weld to fill the small hole and sprayed with Rustoleum bedliner after it dried.
Pinch3.jpg
...and with the rail reinstalled the difference of only an inch makes me feel much better...
Pinch4.jpg

I have learned a ton from this website and only have these simple things to offer back, but hopefully it helps somebody. Cheers :beer:

matt08jk

...and now I am trying to decide between the Teraflex 2.5" w/ Bilsteins, the AEV 2.5" Dualsport, or the RK 2.5" Max Travel. I plan to put it on by Christmas, if I can decide by then.

Revised build plans:
-Lift mentioned above
-Metalcloak Front Bumper with Mid Stinger (October)
-ATX Slot Wheels (Januaryish)
-10" Rigid Light Bar on my Roller Fairlead (and the SPOD inside to run it)
-Rigid Duallys for backup lights

Then we will see what happens!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Pinch seam trim looks good Matt!

Also on the lift I don't think you can go wrong on any of the 3 lift you have about. I personally run the teraflex 2.5 with the Bilstein shocks. I personally love it but that's me comparing it to my old skyjacker lift. A little piece of advice if you get the teraflex, make sure you buy the coil lift w/o the shocks then buy the Bilstein 5100's separately. I heard the Bilsteins that come with the kit are tuned differently and stiff. This way they will be nice and smooth. As for the stiffness everyone claims that comes from the teraflex kit I can't see it. Maybe it's because I don't mind a little stiffer ride but hey who knows. Just thought I would throw you my two cents on the lift. :beer:

Sent from my iPhone

matt08jk

Pinch seam trim looks good Matt!

Also on the lift I don't think you can go wrong on any of the 3 lift you have about. I personally run the teraflex 2.5 with the Bilstein shocks. I personally love it but that's me comparing it to my old skyjacker lift. A little piece of advice if you get the teraflex, make sure you buy the coil lift w/o the shocks then buy the Bilstein 5100's separately. I heard the Bilsteins that come with the kit are tuned differently and stiff. This way they will be nice and smooth. As for the stiffness everyone claims that comes from the teraflex kit I can't see it. Maybe it's because I don't mind a little stiffer ride but hey who knows. Just thought I would throw you my two cents on the lift. :beer:

Sent from my iPhone

Did you run into any problems needing adjustable control arms/trackbars with the teraflex 2.5?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Did you run into any problems needing adjustable control arms/trackbars with the teraflex 2.5?

no and no. i will be getting new lower control arms to help align the front end again somewhere down the road. as for trackbar i am just going to run the stock one. i saw a post from eddie before saying there was no need to get an adjustable. if i do get a new one it will just be a HD one

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I may be selling my 2.5" tera springs sometime soon if your interested. Along with coz I didnt need front lowers but decided to run them anyway.

matt08jk

Mickey Thompson Classic IIIs....on order (arriving this week)
MetalCloak Front Bumper with Stinger....on order (arriving this week)
Rock Krawler 2.5 Stock Mod System from Northridge (with bump stops and shocks)...on order (arriving some this week and some next)

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Should make for some busy/fun time in the weeks to come!

Note: I ordered/had installed some steel ProComp 97 wheels and several came "warped" which I did not figure out until after mounting the tires. I have had two different places attempt to balance them and cannot get rid of the "wobble" that occurs around 40 mph. The second place I went to showed me on the machine where some of the wheels were clearly bent. I am chalking these up as a loss and doing what I should of done earlier (buy better wheels). Has anyone else had problems with steelies like this?

matt08jk

New Wheels and New Bumper!

Just had the Mickey Thompson Classic III's put on and installed the Metalcloak Front Bumper w/ Mid Stinger!

First, rotated the e-disco up, cut off the crossmember and widened the holes in the frame...
jeepfront.jpg

...and with the wheels and bumper completed...
newbumper.jpg

matt08jk

She's done! .....for now...

Just finished the install of the Rock Krawler 2.5 Stock Mod (w/ Bilstein 5100's, TF Bumpstops and some retainer clips)! Took about 6.5 hours and was fairly simple (other than the adjustable track bar which was a PITA by myself). Air tools definitely help for this one. Took it for a 50 mile road trip and it drives better than stock. I am really happy with it and cannot WAIT to go wheeling!!! This finishes up my mods until spring. Thanks again to all the Wayalifers who have given me advice and to all the write-ups and information. This is a great community. :beer:

And what anybody actually cares about...photos:
jeepFinal1.jpg
JeepFinal2.jpg
JeepFinal3.jpg

2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
-2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod
-35" Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" M/T Classic IIIs
-Metal Cloak Frame Built Front Bumper w/ Mid Stinger
-Smittybilt XRC8 Winch
-Rear bumper delete and EVO D-Ring Mounts
-Smittybilt Oversized Tire Carrier
-Flat Fender Chop w/ LED Side Markers

bl17z90

Nice!!

I love the style of holder the smitty built is. Same as coz's or fab, just looks cool and seems solid

Sent from my phone?

matt08jk

Man that thing looks tall! How much actual lift did you get?

Really like that metalcloak bumper tho :thumb:

Just went and measured...22.5" inches at the front shocks, 13.5" at the front springs...so based on the diagram in the FAQ section of this site that is about a 4" gain over stock in the front. Its sitting level so I am guessing about 3" in the rear. I am hoping it settles just a little (maybe 3.5" in the front and 2.5" in the back).

Top Bottom