Looking at a 2016 JKU Sahara - Advice

CalSgt

Hooked
I need advice, what should I be looking for on a used JK?

My mom is shopping for a new car & found a 2016 JKU Sahara for about $26K.

It has 96K miles, Auto trans, 3.5" RC lift, bumpers, & winch. I would probably source a stock take off suspension & tires for it, maybe even some stock steel bumpers.

I've only ever worked on my JL so I don't have any clue what issues the JK's are known for. Is there any major service like timing chain/belt that should have been done by 96K? Any way of spotting known mechanical issues with these models?

kevman65

Hooked
Anytime you throw "Mom" into the equation, it's time to be super critical.

A used, lifted Jeep. How bad has it been thrashed? How much McGyver has been done to it? Will they let her take it to an independent mechanic to be gone over with a fine tooth comb?

96K miles, front and rear differentials need checked, transfer case needs checked, transmission needs checked, axles need checked, brakes need checked, all the steering linkage needs checked, wheel hubs need checked.

You get the idea, this IS "Mom" and the ride NEEDS to be right.

Personally, don't care what the make is, but $26,000 for a 96K vehicle is too much.

CalSgt

Hooked
Anytime you throw "Mom" into the equation, it's time to be super critical.

A used, lifted Jeep. How bad has it been thrashed? How much McGyver has been done to it? Will they let her take it to an independent mechanic to be gone over with a fine tooth comb?

96K miles, front and rear differentials need checked, transfer case needs checked, transmission needs checked, axles need checked, brakes need checked, all the steering linkage needs checked, wheel hubs need checked.

You get the idea, this IS "Mom" and the ride NEEDS to be right.

Personally, don't care what the make is, but $26,000 for a 96K vehicle is too much.

I think I should be capable of spotting off-road damage and shoddy Work on suspension and under body stuff.

I can also shake down the hubs, steering, brakes, etc.

Other than fluid level, smell, and appearance what needs to be checked on the trans, TC, and differentials?

CalSgt

Hooked
It looked like it’s on 35’s with 20” wheels, there’s no scratches or anything on the wheels. I think it was a mall crawler

JimLee

Hooked
Run it until its nice and hot, make sure there's no coolant leaks/seeps from the radiator. JKs eat radiators.

WJCO

Meme King
3.6 had lifter/cam issues. Listen for ticking noise and if engine light is on, check for misfire codes.

Oil cooler under the intake can leak. Take a flashlight and look for puddles under the intake.

CalSgt

Hooked
Run it until its nice and hot, make sure there's no coolant leaks/seeps from the radiator. JKs eat radiators.
3.6 had lifter/cam issues. Listen for ticking noise and if engine light is on, check for misfire codes.

Oil cooler under the intake can leak. Take a flashlight and look for puddles under the intake.
Thanks, I’ll be sure to check those out

Top Bottom