High amperage draw

KY_Jeep

I will try to make this a clear as I can.
2022 JLU Rubicon 7,100 miles 3.6Etorque w/ auto Mini Tazer, LoJack ,Warn Zeon 10-S and Baja Designs Squadron Fog lights hooked up to AUX 1 factory switch. These are the only "electrical" mods done on the Jeep. Have had no warning lights of any kind or any other issues. Battery died today (dropped to 10.4 volts) was driven last night and I had just scanned all the gauges and it was charging at 14.2V as it should. Lojack sent a message the battery voltage was low. I went to start it as I thought that was very odd and sure enough, it was dead. Finally got the battery to take a few minutes charge and it fired up. Battery voltage would not go above 13.5 at idle or driving. Took to dealer as its still under warranty, figured the battery had just crapped out. They tested battery and alt/generator and said everything tested fine. They couldn't replace anything because it all checked out. Ok I get that. I asked the tech why it was still only reading 13.5V and he could not give me an answer (he had no clue honestly how the system worked).

Drive home, runs fine, still 13.0-13.5 battery voltage tho. I disconnected winch, fog lights and tazer. Did a quick amp draw test and my meter instantly spikes to 17 amps! When I do the test I can hear a relay click off and on. I tired to isolate it with no luck. Anyone have this happen or thoughts? Going back to dealer in the morning (and requesting a different tech) to have to start a parasitic draw test.

WJCO

Meme King
13.5 volts may be on the low end of factory spec. I'm not sure.

But if you disconnected all of that stuff and voltage jumped up, best thing to do would be disconnect one at a time and try to find the draw.

Are you saying voltage or amperage jumped to 17? Neither is good. Too high.

You hear a click doing what kind of test?

KY_Jeep

I could see 13.5 if the battery has been drained and not charged in a bit, but should come up to normal 13.8-14.2 after driving for a bit. I did have 2 other load test done on battery and both passed with no issue. Voltage doesn't move much, no matter what is disconnected, been as low as 12.7-13.5 The amp draw, with everything off, no lights no fob in inside no nothing is 17amps. The relay clicking happens when the meter to touched from the neg battery cable to the neg battery post when I'm testing to see the amperage draw. 17amps is a huge short somewhere.

kevman65

Hooked
I know nothing about the Etorque, so keep that in mind.

You might try taking Power Distribution Box (Fuse box on firewall) apart and look at the contacts on the bottom side of the fuse panel the contacts on the all the power harnesses.

Might also check your connections on your PCM and it's harness.

You're looking for burn marks, evidence of electrical arcing.

17 amp draw is mighty tall, especially when the alternator on a regular ICE maxes at 14.8. Again, I don't know Etorque.

WJCO

Meme King
I could see 13.5 if the battery has been drained and not charged in a bit, but should come up to normal 13.8-14.2 after driving for a bit. I did have 2 other load test done on battery and both passed with no issue. Voltage doesn't move much, no matter what is disconnected, been as low as 12.7-13.5 The amp draw, with everything off, no lights no fob in inside no nothing is 17amps. The relay clicking happens when the meter to touched from the neg battery cable to the neg battery post when I'm testing to see the amperage draw. 17amps is a huge short somewhere.
Got it. Did you buy the Jeep new or used? Honestly, of you put your amp meter back on and pull each fuse one at a time, you'll probably find the circuit that the draw is in at least. 17 is a big draw.

KY_Jeep

Got it. Did you buy the Jeep new or used? Honestly, of you put your amp meter back on and pull each fuse one at a time, you'll probably find the circuit that the draw is in at least. 17 is a big draw.
Bought it used couple months ago with 4100 miles. Bone stock. Yea I probably could, but whatever the issue is, they are going to have to fix it anyways. I can’t get that lucky it’s just something simple I fix and go on with life.

If you know how and have a Amp meter put in line and then take one thing off at a time even pull fuses or do it in reverse and see the amps go up

As already stated, start with the fuses.

Did this happen to start after installing the Tazer? Could be unrelated but I ask because the Tazer states to complete two sleep cycles after making changes to settings and if not done, can cause the dash to not fully turn off and cause a battery drain. Just something to check.

2A671F6B-8E5B-49E0-9C81-2DF4F4DAD202.jpeg

KY_Jeep

As already stated, start with the fuses.

Did this happen to start after installing the Tazer? Could be unrelated but I ask because the Tazer states to complete two sleep cycles after making changes to settings and if not done, can cause the dash to not fully turn off and cause a battery drain. Just something to check.

View attachment 393862
The Tazer has been installed for almost 2 months with no issues. I had already set everything and not messed with it anymore. It was plugged in incase I wanted to use any live functions, but that's it. Had to go back to the dealer anyways this morning. They didn't mention doing a flash on the PCM, but I noticed I lost my Satellite Radio function and the off road pages app. It also changed the color of my radio from what it was set at. So, I'm having them look at and fix that as well.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
What is the most recent accessory install? My guess is that it’s the LoJack creating the draw due to its nature of staying powered on.

Also it is within factory bumper to bumper warranty. The dealer cause always diag it and fix it for you for free.

KY_Jeep

What is the most recent accessory install? My guess is that it’s the LoJack creating the draw due to its nature of staying powered on.

Also it is within factory bumper to bumper warranty. The dealer cause always diag it and fix it for you for free.
Baja Designs Fog lights were the last install. LoJack isn't pulling 17amps, it would melt and/or set the Jeep on fire. As would most anything else pulling that much. Has to be something big like the motor generator or 48V battery for the etorque. Its currently at the dealer since its under warranty. Trust me I would be doing the repair if it wasn't.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Baja Designs Fog lights were the last install. LoJack isn't pulling 17amps, it would melt and/or set the Jeep on fire. As would most anything else pulling that much. Has to be something big like the motor generator or 48V battery for the etorque. Its currently at the dealer since its under warranty. Trust me I would be doing the repair if it wasn't.
Lol yes I understand that it shouldn’t be drawing 17amps but I have seen some stuff draw that much. Had a guy install aftermarket cab lights on his 2500 Sierra. They kept popping a 20amp fuse. Found out they were drawing almost 30 amps of power when it set the wiring on fire inside the cab…….

Top Bottom